Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TX EQ, Compression, etc. when using DAX?

David Salomon
David Salomon Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
When using DAX for digital, are all the TX adjustments disabled, i.e. no compression, DEXP, etc.?

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    In SSB mode, audio coming in from DAX will be processed by TX EQ, PROC, DEXP, etc.

When in DigU/DigL, and RTTY, the tx bandwidth controls function, but TX EQ, PROC, and DEXP are turned OFF.

So when running Digital modes, ALWAYS use the Digital input modes. (DigU, DigL, RTTY).

If you are using a voice Keyer or other audio source for voice modes, use SSB, am, fm, etc., and your audio source will be processed just like your Mic inputs are.
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ken -

Thanks for the detailed answer.  I was afraid of that.  One of my use cases for the radio is to simultaneously use digital and voice, i.e. tell someone a digital message follows, then send the message.  During my nets, this happens very often.  Is there a way to automatically use one profile via DAX and another for the MIC input, which would solve my dilemma?

73 - David, AG4F
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

DEXP is for killing noise around your MIC. don't need it for digital. Why run compression on digital don't need to blast the Ham your talking to with a distorted signal. Now the TX adjustments I could see that could be useful. my two cents.

I have not got use the new software yet.

Jim

WU5E

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    One work around would be to set your digital program up on one slice with auto-switch, and set up your mic on another slice. Then transmit SSB on one slice, and send your digital stuff on the other, both on the same frequency. Mute the digital slice, since you will hear it in the other.
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    That's exactly what I need to do.  I just tried it and it works perfectly.

Thanks much for the guidance!

73 - David, AG4F
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Another other advantage of doing it this way is that you can set the AGC and AGC-T differently for the Digital mode than you do for the voice mode.... i.e. you may wish to have the AGC OFF or FAST for the Digital mode and adjust it carefully to set the input to your digital program.  But you may want to have the Voice mode slice set to MED or SLOW so you don't hear all the noise on the channel....

You can even set all this up and save it as a Global Profile "SSTV NET" or "MARS Digital NET"  etc.  then you only need to recall the global profile for your digital net.

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    So, you guessed correctly why I need to do this (MARS digital).  I have two more questions for you.  How do I set the AGC-T from SSDR (I know how to select FAST/MED/SLOW)?  Is there a way to set the upper and lower receive filter values other than dragging with the mouse in the RX box or on the spectrum area?  I'd like to set the RX filter to 100/3400 on both slices, and 3.3K is not an option for DIGU.

Thanks again.

David, AG4F
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    And one more question...

I opened the profile export and selected all, but it's exporting only the memories, not all the other info.  Why?

David, AG4F
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Well, I spoke too soon.  It wasn't actually transmitting from slice B.  Whichever slice I select as TX is the slice it transmits from, even is audio is coming from DAX.  I looked around (a lot) trying to find an "auto-switch", but came up empty.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Auto-switch is set up in the CAT Control panel. You can define each CAT port and assign it to a particular slice, and tell it whether to automatically switch atax to that slice whenever the cat tx command is issued on that port.... really slick. You adjust AGC-t in the slice flag, in the audio (speaker) tab. To find the AGC sweet spot, Start all the way right, and move it left until the noise just starts to drop. Go a little further on phone to have a quieter, but a little less sensitive band.
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks again, Ken.  I tinkered with it a bit and got it working.  You're right, it is really slick.  Every hour I spend with this rig I learn something new about it.  Maybe by the end of 2018 I'll be completely up to speed.

73 - David, AG4F
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Alright, I must have missed one more thing.  The rig switches to slice B and transmits, but then doesn't switch back to slice A.  I have to manually push the TX button for slice A to return to voice ops.  Am I missing something else?

David, AG4F
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    That is the way it works. Unless you use a serial PTT somehow. Perhaps via a utility like DDUtil or FRStacks.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hi Ken, a related question. The Mic Dax signal is that before or after mic compression, DX or DX+ mic effect are applied? I am testing voice keyers (with Audacity) but my station is temporarily down so I cannot test this. I do not want double compression applied...:) 
    73 Kari SM0HRP 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The DAX Mic signal that you can record is tapped before the filters, EQ, and processing. It is clean, so that you can record it and play it back as though it was straight from your Mic. When you use the recording to transmit via the DAX TX feed, then the rig will process it, filter and EQ just as if it was coming from your Mic. You do not need to do any pre processing g, except you might want to use a very little bit of compression or leveling just to make sure that all of your voice Keyer levels are consistent.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.