Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is the Auto notch filter ever going to be fixed?

2»

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It's funny how software items go round and round in the community. When Flex releases code for a particular function it either works great(most of the time) or it doesn't(occasionally). When it doesn't perform to the users expectations it never seems to make it back to the todo pile. DSP functions in general have languished for a long time. They are one of the few areas where "traditional" radios still surpass Flex in performance. Even the earlier 3000 and 5000 radios had better DSP.
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2018
    Same here. My Yaesu FT-1000MKV's ANF runs rings around SSDR's ANF. With SSDR and 6600M, somesone can tune up on a QSO and I engage ANF and it will.**** the tuner upper, until someone speaks. Then the tone from the tuner upper will break thru on top of the person speaking, no matter how much stronger the voice signal is. My ICOM 706 works better. No working ANF, no all mode squelch, little things to some. But, very important to others. Past time to fix this in my way of thinking.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Even my little Kenwood 480 runs rings around the flex when it comes to noise and the ANF. Seems things go onto the bug list but never come off. It shouldn't matter if it is important to some and not others it should just work like it does with other radio's.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Wayne, respectfully, do you think that all of these operators are, in your words: " a loose nut behind the keyboard or touchscreen (operator who is clueless)   "? I am sure most have many years experience with many rigs as do I at 55 years this September. I think there is merit to what is said and we do need improvements.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Not to mention it doesn't take a rocket scientist to operate an auto notch filter. That is the mode of notch that requires no skill.   Something that just works when I push the button. This worked great on all the Icom's have owned in the last 15 years.

The is definitely not a "loose nut" issue.

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I will also say the DSP and the ANF function poorly compared to any radio I have ever had.  This is a very significant short coming and I have a 6700 the flag ship model.
    Peter
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    As I had commented earlier, with all of the DSP noise mitigation features (really this applies to any software feature), there can always be room for improvement.  We have an issue in our software management system to investigate the NR, ANF and NB at a future date.  Because it is company policy not to speculate or discuss features or products unless they have been officially announced or the software feature's release is imminent, I am not able to provide an answer to the "when" part of the question.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2018
    Just another ... Throw it off on the back burner as there is NO when. I hardly consider it a feature that can’t be discussed. More like its as good as it is gonna get so leave it alone. Just give us your $$$ and we’ll worry about it later in our list of stuff that never gets done.
  • John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018

Steve I feel your pain, I have learned to give up on waiting for the software to evolve at a faster pace or even try to get anywhere on this forum. The flex hardware is great and the software is good but has a long way to go to be more complete. All we can do is hope that now that the new radios are out and soon the PGXL that FRS will hire more coders and put “Software” development into high gear before one of the big competitors gets ahead of Flex.

Don’t forget Icom, Yeasu, Kenwood have a lot more money to throw at R&D and have been in business a lot longer so don't think for a second that they are just going to sit there and watch their market share dry up.

Now just watch the Flex Fans and loyalists jump all over this post, That why I just uncheck the Follow post button so I don't have to hear or see it.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I think it’s a little ingenuous to say that Flex policy isn’t to comment on future work unless it’s Imminent. Multiple products have been announced well in advance of their real release date. One could argue this is done to raise working capital. So again to say it’s policy not to talk about software problem resolution dates is a bit much. I like Flex stuff but feel credibility is a valuable asset that Flex should safe guard. This dichotomy should be addressed formally
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2018
    They're saying they are NOT working on it as it is not imminent. If and when they get to it they get to it. It's on the list of maybe's. It somewhat works so that is good enough.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.