Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is the Auto notch filter ever going to be fixed?

Rick  WN2C
Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Had a station tuning up today in my passband and hit the ANF and lo and behold it does not work. Did a search on the forum and found some old threads about it. I thought it had been working on my 6300 although it did distort the audio some but I believe it did cut the carrier tone. So is this a current issue to the new Vers 2 software or is this just an old problem that has not been addresses yet?  

Answers

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Rick, I run 1.11.12 and it does work in SSB.    Of course, it does not work in AM. Would be nice but I understand that.   If you take out a portion of the passband by eliminating that portion with an offending carrier, it would distort.      Let's see what others have to say. 73, Jim
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    It works well for me, after adjusting it correctly.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bill, I guess I should have said on the 6400M it is not working. If there is an adjustment on the menus in the radio I have not found it yet.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ok Rick, that may be something to look into, I don't have 6400M. I have a 6500. That looks to be a really nice radio, enjoy!!
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If it is the same interface as the Maestro.  Touch the freq displayed to get the menu.  Look for ANF in a square box.  Adjust the slider beside it.  I wish Flex would put numbers beside sliders such as this so we have feedback on the setting.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Works fine on a 6500 running the current version of 2.xx.
  • Charlie
    Charlie Member
    edited February 2018
    Works fine on my 6500 on latest 2.0 software on windows 10, and ios app.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    ANF works somewhat once adjusted, but it tends to “pump” with sideband signals. TNF works much better, with no distortion. It isn’t automatic, but you can customize the notch width, depth, and frequency. And you can put multiple notches in the same passband if necessary. I find it a good alternative until they perfect the ANF.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I agree John, a numbered reference in that setting would be a welcomed addition.
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I agree that the ANF works "somewhat" and needs improvement. Here is an example I found:

Listening to a weak DX station on 14.195 SSB and someone tunes up with a carrier producing a loud 600 Hz tone on 14.195. I then turn on the ANF and adjust the slider correctly and narrow the bandwidth. The ANF nulls out almost all of the 600 Hz tone Until the weak station begins to talk. Then I hear the 600 Hz tone with the voice of the DX station. If the tune up carrier signal is weaker than the DX station then the ANF works well and most of the tone is nulled out.

This is with a Flex 6300, Smart SDR V2.1.32. (6600 on order) I had a Kenwood TS-990 that had the same issue with the ANF but also had an Icom 7800 that would eliminate all tuneup tones in the passband. 

I feel confident that Flex will be improving the ANF and NB. For me the way it is now is acceptable and has not stopped me from investing in a new Flex 6600. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    Rick - I have confirmed that the ANF functions the same on the 6400M as it does on all other 6000s.  As with all of the other DSP noise mitigation features (really this applies to any software feature), there can be room for improvement.  We have an issue in our software management system to investigate these at a future date. 
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Tim, I recently received a 6400M and the notch on the stand alone radio does not work like it did on the 6300 running vers 1.11. The slider was up approximately half way or better and there was still a tone from a station tuning up. I have noticed some other thing like some settings (bandwidth on rcv) being different after the radio sits for a while. It also seems the persistence is not working correctly. As I understand it, persistence allows the radio to remember the last setting once the radio is turned off. Those same setting would return when the radio is turned back on. Correct?
  • Bob W8RMV
    Bob W8RMV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you are running in PC mode, the TNF maybe an option to eliminate a QRM'r or tuner upper. But only if it is an unchanging tone. IMO an effective ANF or DNF as Yaesu calls it, is mandatory in rig mode on a M model Flex, because there is no mouse operation to quickly & precisely hone onto the tone.  I was quite surprised & disappointed in the ANF on my new 6400M, which I run in standalone or rig mode as I call it, 90% of the time.  Yes the ANF removed the irritating tone, but replaced it with a fair bit of distortion.  I do not experience that on my TS-590 or FTdx-3000.  I can leave the ANF on all the time on those rigs, with just a bit of discernible distortion on SSB.  Yes, I tried moving the threshold slider around, but to no avail.  So I was left with listening to the piercing tone or distorted audio.  Not a good choice on such an amazing device like the 6400M.  It is really quite confusing to me as a first time Flexer.  How could this device be so amazing & yet fall down on something others have been doing so effectively for years?  I am compelled the use the ANF frequently every day I am one the air. I need it to work as well as my other radios.  - Bob
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    If you search for "ANF" in the community, you will find that ANF performance has been an issue for quite awhile.  It has improved, but is still not at the functional level of many current transceivers.

As I noted in an earlier post, it works fine for me on my 6500, but I use it only in PC mode or remote with an iPad.  I cannot speak to "rig" mode.

Larry, W1IZZ
  • Bob W8RMV
    Bob W8RMV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Why do I see all my grammatical errors after I post?  Sheesh.  Sorry.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I don't use it much because it really does not work for me. The TNF works great but that's a long way from automatic.  I like the TNF better on the M radios because once you have it active the filter knob (center and ring) control location and width.

I honestly don't miss an auto-notch much anymore.

Rich
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bob as a new Flex owner, I'm sure you have noticed that there are several things in the Flex that perform much higher then your other rigs can.
    And as a Flex owner one thing we have come to understand is that the software is always in development. At this time the DSP filters may not be were they want them as far as how they perform. As time allows I'm sure they will re visit this in more detail.

As I understand, almost all updates have little tweaks in them to improve them. When they say for instance,,work under the hood,,, they are tweaking things. I have noticed this over the last few updates. I am very happy how the NB and NR are working at the moment compared to how they used to be. But the ANF is till not there yet, as I still hear more distortion than I like.

So come along for the ride, there will never be a time when Flex says the radio software is finished.
  • Dale - K4DG
    Dale - K4DG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I used it all time during the ARRL DX contest this past weekend. It worked fine to remove the tuner-uppers who seem to come out of the woodwork during contests.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hard to understand: the algorithms for auto notch were set about 25 years ago. In fact, I have never owned a Xcvr or rcvr that had auto notch that didn’t work well.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

When I setup my 6400M yesterday I had a tuner upper on 20m and turned on ANF and he was gone instantly. Works great! Good job flex!

I think a lot of issues are this: You can have the best rig made but if you have a loose nut behind the keyboard or touchscreen (operator who is clueless) then it doesn't matter the result is the same as if you had the cheapest radio with the least features.

Defintion of Crazy: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

Defintion of Learning Experience: Its what you get when you didn't get what you thought you wanted!

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    ANF works ok on the 6400 on the "tuner upper" types but for persistent interference I will use a TNF.  On the ANF I have noticed the "pumping" mentioned by Ken but not objectionable to my style.  I like the flexibility between the ANF and TNF functions and finding the best approach for each case.  
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Not everyone who believes that the ANF feature needs improving is a "loose nut".   

I agree that the ANF works well if you hear someone tuning up on a quiet frequency. But, if I am listening to a QSO and someone tunes-up on or near the frequency the tune up tone will be heard when someone speaks - almost as loud as when the ANF is turned off. This is especially true for me when the tune up tone is louder in signal strength than the station talking.

I am mentioning this issue because a few other manufactures have solved this issue and I believe Flex will eventually fix it improve the performance of the ANF and other noise migration tools. 

Depending on your operating style and what your objectives on the HF bands may determine how much of an issue this is for you.  If no one or only a few mention these and other issues FRS will have little motivation to make improvements.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I don't seem to have the same problem as you are. When I set it in the right place the ANF simply presents a ping, and that's all. but i hope Flex works on the distortion problem a little more.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have noticed this as well.  The ANF works great if there is no other activity in the bandpass but if the tone is on top of a QSO, it doesn't work well. 
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    The ANF works great if there is no other activity in the bandpass but if the tone is on top of a QSO, it doesn't work well. 
    Same here, which kind of means it's worthless.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    On my 6400M I have been very disappointed with ANF and WNB.  My backup rig is a 7300 whose ANF promptly and reliably notches out carriers.  I have no such luck with carriers when using ANF on the 6400M.  Likewise with my 6400M, WNB has no perceptible impact on well correlated noise...it is as if WNB does not even exist.  I never had these issues with my K3 and did not expect to encounter them with the 6400M.  I would ask that attention be devoted to improving ANF and WNB at the earliest possible date, because for a radio of this caliber, simply getting around to it "as time allows" is unacceptable.
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    the anf on my ft920 works much better but it does work on my 6600
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Welcome to the long list of Flex 6xxx owners who have consistently noted the issues with these features. I am not sure why it has taken so long to address these well known issues.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    It is what it is. I don't see it getting fixed in the future either . . . As Tim Said " We have an issue in our software management system to investigate these at a future date."

Its been a couple years and I guess it is not far enough in the future.

As I said before everything with Flex seems to get close to being finished then stops and they go onto something else.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.