Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Make the pan/waterfall frequency follow the slice frequency

Mario_DL3LSM
Mario_DL3LSM Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR API
Hi there,

how can I make the pan/waterfall/panafall frequency change when I change the slice frequency to a value outside the displayed range?

If I use the SmartCAT logging window to manually enter a frequency (FA....) outside the display range of the panafall the panafall moves to this point. But using Wireshark I can't figure out what is causing this..

The reason for this question is that using my xCAT with WSJT-X on the Mac when changing the band via WSJT-X only the slice moves but the panafall stays where it was. I might be dreaming but I think at some point/with some SmartSDR release this behaviour started (before the panafall would change as well)..

I hope someone could give me a hint for this..

Thanks and 73
Mario, DL3LSM

Answers

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi Mario.  I am encountering the same problem when attempting to use xCAT in combination with RumlogNG.  When I click on a callsign in the logging program "DX SPOTS" window, the slice frequency for my FLEX-6400M moves to the correct frequency, but the panadapter ignores the command to move to the new frequency.  Hopefully FRS will weigh in on this forum by providing the necessary clarification of their API so as to ensure that mouse clicking on a spot moves both the slice frequency--as well as the panadapter--to the designated frequency.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    When you send a 'slice tune' command, you can send an optional 'autopan=0|1' on the end.  If autopan is not sent, it is assumed to be on (1).  When autopan is on, if the Slice is tuned outside the bandwidth of the Panadapter, the Panadapter center frequency will be set to the Slice frequency.

SmartSDR CAT uses this to ensure that if you send a CAT command that tunes a Slice off screen, that the Panadapter will follow.  SmartSDR for Windows uses a similar algorithm implemented in the client to do edge tuning (the Panadapter will move once the Slice reaches the 10% edge of the bandwidth shown).
  • Mario_DL3LSM
    Mario_DL3LSM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi Eric,

thanks for this pointer.. Did not know that autopan defaults to "1" if not send so I did not discover this detail in the Wireshark scans.. I have "autopan=0" in the slice tune command so this is the explanation..

Thanks and 73
    Mario, DL3LSM
  • John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018
    I would love to see the option to lock slice to center of pan/fall screen so that only the pan adapter moves in the background not the slice.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi John, That idea was submitted 3 years ago but only has 3 votes so far. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/my-frequency-on-the-panadpter?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all You can add your comments and a vote. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    John,

This makes sense in a single Slice world.  But what do you do with multiple Slices?  How do you handle what happens when the Panadapter itself is tuned?  Do you tune the Slice back to the middle?

The most difficult thing about implementing an idea like this is not actually the coding.  It is covering all of the edge cases in the design such that the system works as a whole and doesn't have cases where it behaves in unexpected ways.  If we can come up with a complete design that handles the fact that we have multiple independent resources (Panadapter and Slices, plural), and there is wide approval of the idea from the community, it has a much higher chance of becoming a reality.
  • John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018

Hello Eric, hope all is well with you.

I am no coder but maybe when more than one slice is used the Zoom level would automatically change so that both slices are centered on the panadaper? Or at a minimum when the user uses more than one slice the “Auto Center Slice” is automatically disabled until a single slice is used? For me this is not a High Priority but something that would be very convenient.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi Eric,
    I think for many users operating with a single slice locked in position on a given panadapter it would be fine.  And if there was a second slice for a "split up 2" that would not be a problem.  You could tell which one was locked by the lock icon.   So only one slice per panadapter could be locked. 

There are probably other use cases with multiple slices in a given panadapter where it may not be a viable option to lock one anyway, so just don't use it then.  

Maybe an oversimplification but it seems like it would be useful for many operators and use cases without being too complicated. 

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    When I implemented this in Slice Master, the approach I took was to consider the centering a desire rather than a mandate.  What this means in practice is that the panadapter is only re-centered when the slice frequency changes.  So, it's possible to enable the option on multiple slices and still have things work in a reasonable way.  That is, change the frequency on slice A and it will end up in the center of the screen.  Switch to slice B and change the frequency and now it's the center of attention.  This works exactly the way I like it ;)

I do agree with Eric though... the coding is the easy part.  
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    That is an very small target to hit if using a maestro or the new M-models
    especially with my **** fingers ;-)
    so i guess i could use my index finger to unlock and my pinkie finger to lock.

just saying need to consider more than just windows ssdr

• John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018

Hello Don K1DBO I wanted to thank you for the work you are putting into Slice Master.

Looks like a very powerful app that will enhance many users experience.

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    You're welcome John!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.