Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MOX button as "ordinary" PTT...

Adde Tjernberg
Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi All... 

Is it possible to use the MOX button in SmartSDR as a ordinary PTT-button... TX when it's pushed, and hold. Back to RX when it's released.

Is this something that is achievable?

(SmartSDR for iOS has it...)

73 de Adde, SM0SHG

Answers

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Not quite but maybe good enough for you.  Push to start TX and Push to stop TX.
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thats the function it has, and I don't want... :)
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There is a little Software package called "K1DBO-PUSH-TO-VOX"  https://github.com/K1DBO/push-to-vox/releases that work well and was on  the flex community here a few times over the last few years that may be what your looking for.
    You can even have this work as a remote foot switch by connecting to the pins 7 and 8 on a serial port.
    Cool little utility. 
    Here is the Flex community discussion https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/push-to-vox-version-1-0-0-is-now-available

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the mention Bret,  I'd been wondering if anyone else has been using Push To VOX.  It's still a part of my normal set up.  

BTW, the update to v1.0.2 is fairly recent.  While working on Slice Master 6000, I found a couple of bugs in the radio discovery code that I thought were worth fixing. I would have mentioned it in the Push to VOX thread, but the lack of activity there had me thinking that either nobody was using it or that it was working perfectly for everyone ;)

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have had a few problems with 1.02 with it locking in TX using it in the Push to PTT side of things  so I don't use it as often as I would like. 
    Thanks again for the little app
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bret, thanks for the feedback.  I wonder though if that's a bug or feature?  A quick tap of the foot switch or MOX button will engage TX and it will stay engaged until the next tap.  Or, rather than engage TX, a quick tap will engage VOX instead.  Which depends on the 'Push To' setting.  Note too that the 'Latch time' settings can be used to adjust or disable this behavior.  But, if that's not the problem, my email address is easy to find.  Feel free.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    It's possible but would be challenging to code because you would have to develop a custom mouse behavior like a click and drag,  but only allow it to be active within the small area of the MOX button,
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Can FRStack do this? Does FRStack work remote? Like from anothet WAN? /Adde
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I believe frstack needs a vpn connection. I don't think it works through smartlink.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes it does work remote as of the update two weeks ago.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes FRStacks has a MOX operation on the top menu and if you click it the MOX stays on until you click it to turn off.

• Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ok, so not the function I look for then... :(
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I suspect the developer of FRStacks could look at adding that function.  He is very responsive and it might be something he would consider for the next release if you send him a message/request.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Been Playing around here getting ready to remote the whole station and found a feature here that I have been using other software for built into FLEX CAT program.
    Using the built in Serial Port or USB serial cable COM port, set up in the CAT programming for PTT I have discovered the Foot switch and manual Mic key work great in my station just by shorting Pins 7 and 8. 

I'm sure this is in the book but who reads the book hi hi and other programs use this same setup but having this work Remote with out another peace of software to load is ideal for me.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Very good! And this works just like a normal PTT? Not the "MOX push and push again" behaviour?

How is the delay? 

73 de Adde

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Very little Latency
    73's
    Bret

• Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Cool, it works! :)
  • AA0Z
    AA0Z Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    One thing I noticed was I needed to deselect Auto Switch TX Slice, as when I had two slices open and I pushed the foot switch, it always selected the A band to PPT.  Once I deselected that, it would PPT the band that I had selected like the B or C band.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Great catch 
    Thanks a lot
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Kev
    Kev Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    PA7LIM has integrated the PTT in BlueDV utilizing a COM port.  That works great. I have integrated a studio mic and hand mic this way.
  • Kev
    Kev Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Good feedback guys, enjoyed reading this, will give it ago myself.

Kev

• Kev
    Kev Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

But will give the solution below a go.

Kev

• Dave - N6XVZ
    Dave - N6XVZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Bret-  I really want to figure this out and make it work.  I don't yet have a microphone so was thinking USB but really could go anyway.  I really want a physical PTT mechanism so I don't have to move the mouse or hit spacebar...

My question is:What microphone are you using? 
    I get using the CAT port - just curious about the physical hookup - What is your manual mike key/PTT?    Your answer implies that you've built an interface via a serial port into the USB and shorted pins 7&8.  what mic have you converted to Serial?  Or is there one I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The response from Michael works great for PTT using a FTDI RS-232 cable and is what I have used for the past 11 months.
    as far as the Microphone it is also very easy and I have tried many different USB sound card interfaces and have settled on the Shure X2U USB XLR Microphone adapter. 
    I run this with my Heil PR-40 and audio is superb.

Don't waist your money on the purple Heil USB XLR (not enough audio out) or other USB XLR cable adapter they are very poor audio quality compared to the SHURE X2U adapter and a waist of Money.
    Here is a link on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Shure-X2U-XLR-to-USB-Signal-Adapter/dp/B001PPXFAG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Then you can do as I did and just run your SHURE PR-40 (or what ever XLR MIC your running) MIC profile using the PC Mic selection, sounds almost as good as running on the Balanced audio connection.

You pay a bit more for this quality device but it is well worth it.

This will give you OUTSTANDING TX Audio on the FLEX6700 or FLEX6600 radio's and I'm sure the other 6xxx radio's running Remote. 

Hope this helps.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Dave - N6XVZ
    Dave - N6XVZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Great input on the USB XLR adapter.  Looks like the Shore adapter is on my wish list now!  
    Tnx
    Dave
    N6XVZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.