Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX-6400M - fan noise?

W8QB
W8QB Member ✭✭
I took delivery of a FLEX-6400M this evening and am hearing a loud rattling sound when the radio is powered on.  The rattling noise apparently is fan blades that are brushing up against something inside the chassis.  I contacted the Help Desk after hours this evening but do not expect to hear from anyone until tomorrow morning.  Meanwhile, I would appreciate any related thoughts.  Thank you!

Answers

• Wendell - N4VLK
    Wendell - N4VLK Member
    edited February 2018
    Sorry to hear that Doug, my 6600M is extremely quiet.  Good Luck!
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi Wendell.  To clarify, this is not a "my fan is too loud" issue.  Rather, the fan blades apparently are brushing up against something inside the chassis.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Bummer, Doug! It must have taken a **** of a jostle during shipping. If you havent dealt with flex service before you will at least be pleased to hear that they are really top tier.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The radio was picked up in Austin yesterday evening and UPS delivered a mere 26 hours later.  It is hard to understand how it could have been jostled during the brief trip from Austin to my location in the Dallas area.
  • Alan WA4SCA
    Alan WA4SCA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Years ago, my VU5K had a similar rattle on arrival.  After I cracked it open, I found that whoever assembled it had simple wadded the power cord for the main cooling fan into a ball and shoved it behind a ribbon cable.  It had vibrated lose and was being hit by the fan blades.  Fortunately it did not get tangled.  Fixing it was trivial by adding a cable tie.  Been fine ever since.

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I strongly suspect this is something like what you experienced, but am hesitant to look inside, because "Opening the unit may void the manufacturer's warranty".
  • FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I'll bet they tell you to take the cover off and look at it before you send it back.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    The UPS gorillas srike again! Need to be renamed Oops!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    It will not.  The parts you can't open are secured with a security label.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Tim.  As noted in our separate correspondence, the rattling sound was caused by a cat 6 cable that was pressing directly against the fan blades.  
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    interesting i not see yet any security label label ?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    It is a different label than what was in the 1st generation radios.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.