Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wonder why the balanced audio is not available on the 6400

Wonder why the balanced audio is not available on the 6600?   
Mike W4OCO

Answers

• Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Where did you hear that? 6600 has balanced mic input I am told.
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    • Microphone Connector: Pseudo Balanced 1/8" TRS
    • Audio Input: Balanced 1/4" TRS for Microphone or Line level signals

No XLR connector.

• Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The 6600 does have a balanced mike input on the rear panel. 1/4" TRS jack. It does not have an XLR connector (as do the 6500 & 6700).

Gary - W4EEY

• W4OCO Mike
    W4OCO Mike Member
    edited December 2019
    Must be a typo in the manual because it states only on the 6600M on page 17.  Thanks for the information.

Mike-W4OCO
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The 1/4 inch TRS is the same electrically as a balanced XLR.
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Is there an adapter XLR female to the TRS plus available somewhere ?
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Super !
    thanks
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The 6400M/6600M User guide describes both of the M Series radios,  but not the 6400 or the 6600.  The 6400M does not have the 1/4" Balanced Microphone input.  At this location in the document, and at several similar locations, the feature is described as "6600M Only", which is correct in this context.

The 6400/6600 Hardware Reference Manual describes those two radios, and it also says that the 1/4" Balanced Microphone input is available only on the 6600.

But, I agree that it is pedantic and should be made more clear, which I will do.
  • PeteP
    PeteP Member ✭✭

Original should read, "Wonder why the balanced audio is not available on the 6400? "

IMHO

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

It does now

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I think if I remember in the early days of the 6600 a LOT of us pre-purchasers really gripped and complained about Balanced MIC input not in the originally design and they did put it on the 6600 so maybe it trickled down to the 6400 now as Mike just commented.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel get's the oil IF the timing is right.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

so maybe it trickled down to the 6400 now as Mike just commented.

No .. I think Mike was referring to his changing and correcting the original title statement.

• PeteP
    PeteP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2021

OK looks as if there's some confusion...

For clarity - Does the Balanced Audio 1/4" jack work on the newest software version using a 6400M.

Mike, we're I guess wondering the intent of your last. I sure wish it did/does...

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

The hardware part of the audio is not anything that can be changed in software. It is not related to any software version.

From the 6400/6600 hardware reference manual (in the download area of the web page).

7.20 MICROPHONE JACK

The MIC connector accepts a 1/8-inch (3.5mm) stereo (TRS) plug and provides a pseudo-balanced

microphone input. Pseudo-balanced means that the mic (+) and mic (-) lines are balanced all the

way to the input of the A/D converter, where the mic (-) line is DC grounded. The connector may be

used with dynamic or electret microphone elements. A software enabled 3V bias voltage through a

2.1k Ohm source impedance may be applied to the Mic (+) line for electret microphones.

On the 6600 series:

7.5 BALANCED AUDIO INPUT (FLEX-6600 ONLY)

This is a balanced audio input for the radio and will produce the highest quality audio

transmission. It can be used as a microphone level input, or a line level input. It accepts a

¼” (6.3mm) TRS Phone Plug.

To prevent ground loops and RF ingress into the microphone circuit, the MIC (-) wire

should be connected to the Ring and NOT to the Sleeve, the chassis ground. The circuit is

wired as a true differential input and can thus be used with balanced microphone or line

input.

• PeteP
    PeteP Member ✭✭

Roger, just the 6600 then...****.

;-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.