Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

When will Bluetooth be available on the MAESTRO?

Cal  N3CAL
Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Maestro

When will Bluetooth 4.0 be available on the MAESTRO?  I know this question was asked a year ago when the MAESTRO was first released and the answer was it was not activated in the software yet, but I haven't heard anything since?  A friend of mine recently mentioned to me the Flex Website shows the MAESTRO having Bluetooth 4.0 as a communications  interface.  The MAESTRO Data sheet as well lists Bluetooth 4.0.  I didn't see anything mentioned about it in the SSDR version 2 release?    A search through the MAESTRO users guide returns nothing on Bluetooth?  Why would Flex advertise this feature if it's not actually available?   Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks...

Cal/N3CAL

Answers

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I would also like the Bluetooth work as it would nice to use one of my wireless headphones to listen.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Should be in every Maestro since FRS use from first day a Tablet inside and i know no Tablet without.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I was also disappointed when i bought my maestro and realized it doesn’t have working bluetooth. It seems such a simple thing to implement? Would love to use my Bose quiet comfort QC35 headset - far far more comfortable than any other headset i’ve used. Blows my radiosports out of the water.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    It's the driver support which is the operational challenge.  FlexRadio would need to qualify specific BT devices, install their drivers and provide ongoing support for them. It is on the list of things we would like to do.
  • Michael Pfaeffle (K3FEF)
    edited December 2017
    This would be a tremendous bonus!  I too would like to use my BT headsets. (And would buy a specific one if I had to!).
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2017
    Could you  just qualify 3 or 4 specific headsets and just say this is all we support.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I posted this question 5 months ago when Smart SDR 2.0 was first released and it has remained unanswered until now.  I've been a loyal Flex Customer for over 4 years now and have always spoken highly of Flex's customer service.  I continue to support them with a Flex 6600 reservation just like I did when the Maestro was first announced at Dayton.   In all fairness I don't think Flex should advertise that the Maestro has Bluetooth when it is NOT implemented and available.  That alone is very misleading and I was disappointed to find it was not working when I finally received mine!  IMHO I highly doubt Flex could ever get it working since the Windows OP System used in the Maestro is resident on the internal Dell Tablet which by now is actually obsolete.  In summary I will continue to support Flex and can only hope they can get it working.  Maybe a new and improved Maestro 2 is on the horizon?   Happy to see my question was finally seen and adressed.  Happy Holidays All...   73

Cal/N3CAL   
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2017
    Your concerns are reasonable and I will forward them to the management team.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks Tim!  Hopefully this thread doesn't get me on Flex's Naughty list?  Over the years you have done a fantastic job as Customer Experience Manger! 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2017
    No, it will not.  You presented your dissatisfaction in a professional and constructive manner which is valued and respected.  Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    From your web site . . .

Can I connect Bluetooth devices, like headsets, keyboards, speakers, etc. to Maestro?

Bluetooth device support on Maestro is still being tested. This feature may or may not be enabled on the initial release of the product. Once Bluetooth connectivity is supported we will carry recommended and tested accessory devices in the on-line store .

Will Maestro have support for Bluetooth peripherals such as a keyboard, mouse or headset?
    Yes. We plan to qualify and offer Bluetooth peripherals. The exact products and timing are yet to be determined.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2017
    It was not enabled on the initial version of the software.  And as of today, it is not supported.  So these were and still are truthful statements.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I did not say it was an untruthful statement. When will it happen. 1 year . . . 2 years . . . 3 years. Probably never. All I am saying is don’t promise what you can’t deliver in a timely fashion. You are all working on the next big ****. The new amp and the 6600 series radios. It seems some of the stuff you told and advertised as happening is not as of yet. Even Maestro battery charging Not
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2017
    As I told Cal, regarding this issue, the concern has been forwarded to the management team.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It’s the law. Truth in advertising.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Steve, I've read those statements when they came out and in no way did I interpret them as a promise. At the time and now it's clear the statements speak for themselves and to me are no promises. I see them as being informative. They plan to offer bluetooth with no time table, how can that in any way be seen as a promise? It's a desired feature like remote via WAN was. As we all know SmartLink did come out so now we are waiting other features like bluetooth. None of us like to wait, we want instant gratification and we want it now.
    I too would like to see bluetooth implemented and I wish those statements were put out there earlier as I went ahead and purchased a Blue Parrot headset prior to that statement being released and my Maestro delivery. No problem, I'm not loosing any sleep over it and I am looking forward to using blutetooth on the Maestro when it is ready. It's not at the top of my list, Antenna Genius manipulation from the Maestro and 2m calibration on the 6700 are far more important to me. 

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yes, as long as Blue Parrot is one of them :)  I purchase one while awaiting delivery when Maestro was first released. Picking several decent brands and getting some BT compatibility would be nice. Not having to repurchase another brand would be even better, for me. Could even add those to the Flexradio shopping cart.
  • Frank Ventura
    Frank Ventura Member
    edited April 2019

I know that this is an old thread but is there any new news in regards to BT and/or USB? I look forwarde to the human interface device protocol and keyboard/mouse support if it ever makes it.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    At this moment, there are no plans to turn on BlueTooth.  There are a few business reasons that are driving this.  
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Well what I think Flex should do is pick a particular bluetooth headset. Set up bluetooth for that headset. Sell it to customers with a disclaimer that the headset is the only one guaranteed to work with Flex and any other headset is buyer beware as it may not work
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That is supremely disappointing.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    LOL
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2019
    Hey Matt ... these decisions don't come lightly.  We have to look at a much bigger pictures on items that include security, reliability and supportability.  The supportability part can be a time vampire.  One thing I have learned about bluetooth is that .. there is no standard.

Case in point... one of my iPhones connects to 1 car just fine, but not another car.  All software is current on everything.    

One worry is that we just can't say we are sorry it doesn't work should you have bluetooth issues, as the expectation is that we  would be that we fix it.  And, that would cost money and drive up the cost of the radio.  It does come to economics.    

That being said, there are many in this community that have added aftermarket bluetooth boxes with great success.  You can search and find what they are using.  Most of these devices are available from Amazon.

We always look at requests like this.  Maybe some time in the future.

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited March 2019
    Yeasu tried that.  They didn't sell many headsets.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Mike, with the BT devices your mentioning you can turn almost anything into BT, and they work very well, problem solved.
  • Frank Ventura
    Frank Ventura Member
    edited March 2019

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. Can I throw another “ity” into the mix for your to ponder … that is accessibility. The reason I asked about the Bluetooth keyboard is this, I would like to use either my 6400m or a stand alone Maestro. Being visually impaired I cannot find the “Connect” button on the radio chooser to get started. My thinking was that I could use a keyboard to turn Narrator on and that would read the button. Narrator is the screen reader built into Windows, including embedded Windows and Windows PE. However the usual way of turning it on is to press CONTROL WINDOWS ENTER. Without a keyboard attached I cannot do that. Do you know of another means of turning Narrator on? Once Narrator is on I could simply flick across the touch screen until I locate the button. Alternatively, if Narrator cannot be turned on is there a means of configuring a hardware button to cvonnect to the first active radio in the chooser? Thanks, Frank

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited March 2019
    I will pass that on for you.  Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Sure wish the Maestro would work with my Blue Parrot 450 BT headset Mike
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited August 2019
    At the moment, there are no plans to enable Bluetooth on the Maestro.

Sorry

Mike

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    No Bluetooth was one of several issues why I sold my Maestro.  I now use an Apple Ipad and my Blue Parrot 450 works fine with the the Ipad and SSDR Ios.   I don't miss the Maestro at all!

Cal/N3CAL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.