Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Win Update Disabler

KC3OL
KC3OL Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I found an app that might be useful for stopping Windows 10 updates.  You can get it at this link
http://www.site2unblock.com/win-updates-disabler/:

Comments

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You don't need an app. Go to sevices in Windows and disable it, forever. Windows updates frequently to keep the business people computers up to date. My computer is never connected to the internet, I only use it to run SSDR.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You don't need a nap go to support. microsoft.com they offer a simple registry patch to do the same thing. Just consider what you are about to do as you will no longer get any security updates.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Use a thumb drive for Windows and has SmartSDR on it. It will not update. When I am through hamming, I will boot on the regular hard drive. One can make a bootable thumb drive using a program called WintoUSB.

Jim, K6QE

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Please insert here my usual diatribe about how “disabling Windows updates is a very bad idea” — thank you, that’ll save me from having to type it all for the nine hundredth time. In the most recent version of Windows you can (1) postpone the installation of updates for up to 90 days (IIRC), (2) limit the internet bandwidth used when downloading updates. Both very useful options. Peter K1PGV
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You can pause all updating up to 35 days.  Then we need to distinguish between feature updates and quality updates.  You don't want to delay the quality updates too long.  They include the security updates.  You can put them off for 30 days.  The feature updates, which IMHO, seem to cause the problems can be delayed 365  days.  However, this is under Windows 10 PRO only.  I know that the ability to postpone updates in the Home version of Windows 10 is much more limited.

73 and Happy Holidays,
    Bob, WK2Y
  • Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Agreed, this is very bad advice for the general user. If you have a properly configured windows system, there is little risk to doing updates, and significant risk to NOT doing them. This is where hams, who think they know better than Microsoft, end up with unstable systems that won't support the latest applications and become fodder for bots.  Unless you run disconnected from the net forever, don't do this.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm curious how FRS feels about this topic. Should people avoid doing updates so they avoid SSDR/DAX/CAT problems? Or should FRS figure out why SSDR components keep breaking and fix it?

Kev K4VD
  • KC3OL
    KC3OL Member
    edited December 2017
    I am tired of fixing DAX problems every time Windows does an update.  Until this problem is solved I am going to prevent updates.  This computer is only used for Flex, WSJT, and my logging program.
    Thanks for all of your comments.   
    Ted, KC3OL
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    We never advocate for anyone to not install OS patches and updates.  I test every software version that is released with a fully updated Win10 OS.  This is a pristine (other than loading basic ham software) version of Win10.  No optimizations, no turning things off (like UAC).
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Your money, your chance. I predict the DAX update problem will never be fully “solved” as a great deal of the issue is inherent in relying on serial port emulation, which itself relies on port numbers. Renumbering and reconfiguration of serial ports across updates (when multiple drivers are removed and then reinstalled) works the way it works. DAX can be as good as it can be, play by all the rules, and still get **** up by other drivers. The order in which drivers are installed is non-deterministic, which leads to clashes in settings on the best of days. This really isn’t a Flex problem beyond the point that it is perceived as such by some users. In my work life, I close bugs that I get about serial port conflicts as “Won’t Fix, Works as Designed” Just thought you’d like to know some of the technical basis for what’s happening. P
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ted, Then don't connect your computer to the internet. Please don't advise others that do connect their computers to the internet to disable features that help protect their assets. That is irresponsible. Andy KU7T
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I get a newsletter called Windows Secrets.  Susan Bradley writes a column called Patch Watch.  It details when issues have been found with different updates and there are always plenty. They usually affect specific configurations and software. 

Again, the important point is to distinguish between feature and quality updates.  It's the big major feature updates such as this Fall's Creator Update from 1703 to 1709 that has caused so many issues.  The security updates seem to cause far fewer. The approach that has worked well for me is to allow, with a 30 day delay, the quality updates, and I am still waiting to update from 1703 to 1709. According to Susan Bradley, "I'm getting closer to considering 1709 baked. "  So soon but not just yet.

There is of course some risk, but to mitigate that I keep my virus and malware software current and running.
    Bob
    WK2Y
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

why would want to stop security patches. Keep your computer updated , scan daily. I used two computers one for the Home and one for the radio.

73's

Jim

WU5E

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I delay (but not stop!) because even the security patches are often revised and corrected. Most of the problems are pretty esoteric, but still, it would be just my luck to have an affected system.
    Bob
    WK2Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.