Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

GPSDO alternative

I have a Flex 6300 and participate in FMT (Frequency Measuring Tests).  The 6300 can't use the GPSDO from Flex so I looked for an alternative.  I purchased the GPSDO from BG7TBL. It is a 10Mhz unit and extremely accurate. I use the setup for frequency adjustment within the Flex software to read my 10Mhz signal.  The results of the FMT show how well it works.  The price was $139.  Try it, you'll like it...

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What is the downside of just calibrating on 5/10 MHz. on WWV?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    The TCXO in the 6300 is a very accurate and stable driver clock, but it takes time for it to temperature stabilize and it will drift with age.  A GPS disciplined OCXO is more accurate and undergoes constant frequency correction, both in the short and long term frequency stability and accuracy will be better.  This is true of any GSPDO disciplined clock, be it a GPSDO or a Rb clock. 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Unless everyone on the band is accurate to 1/1000 Hz., seems sort of moot.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    Depends on your application.  If driving a uWave XVTR, this is very important so that you reduce frequency multiplication errors.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    During FMT with my stock 6300 and using the 800hz beat tone, I think I was less than 1Hz on all readings.  It was pretty impressive.  My worst reading was 0.80 Hz and my best was 0.08Hz.  I even surprised my self.  And, that was my first time.  

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I find myself drifting with age and a friend tells me I have no long term stability
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi Ross. In doing a little research on the units, it appears there are a number of different models available. Can you tell which models you purchased? Was the 10 MHz output sinewave or square wave? Many tnx Winston
  • Bob Brown - N8OB
    edited July 2017
    I purchased the BG7TBL 2016-05-31 version and it is sinewave.  I have a rubber duck antenna on the 10Mhz connector which I use to check the radio frequency and for adjustment purposes.
    Bob - N8OB
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How is an external 10 MHz GPSDO connected to a 6300?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2018
    A 6300 will not support 10Mhz or a GPSDO.

Mike

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    That's what I thought but the first post is saying otherwise.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I understand now what he is doing.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2018
    Ah.  He sent a 10Mhz signal to the radio on one of the antenna ports and then did the 10mhz calibration much like you would do on WWV.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.