Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

dd-wrt / Softether on ASUS Router?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I am not totally satisfied with the way OpenVPN runs on my ASUS RT-AC66U Router.

I was planning to utilize my Raspberry Pi3 to run Softether when it struck me that hacking my router with DD-WRT I might be able to get Softether to run on the router itself and not need its internal OpenVPN.  Nor wouldl I need to run Softether on the Pi or my shack desktop.

Has anyone run Softether on their DD-WRT enabled router?  If so, how did it run?

I want to run L2TP / IPsec for my iPad and Laptop when on remote.

Thanks for any ideas....

Ken - NM9P

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just curious what issues are you having with OpenVPN?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I can set it up so that the iPad works, or so the Windows laptop works,  but I can't find a setup that lets both work without changing configs....(TUN / TAP issues) I may be getting something amiss.  
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You'll need one of the latest Kong builds. 

Available here:
    http://desipro.de/ddwrt/

Tutorial once you have it installed:
    http://bouli.ihostfull.com/?i=3

You'll still need to use the server manager GUI, but having it on your border router is nice. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Ken

I have been using SoftEther Server on the same PC that is dedicated to SSDR and most of my ham stuff.  It's a circa Nov 2013 i5 and SoftEther seems to add no appreciable/measurable CPU overhead.

AFIK no one has shown that a dedicated VPN on a Router has a higher throughput than SoftEther on a PC.   Perhaps the only downside is that you have to port forward to the PC for the VPN rather than have the VPN at the Router/Firewall...

Softether works well with both iOS and Windows clients

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Howard, in my opinion the only negative to your approach is that if your PC goes down, you lose everything (yes, I understand the same could be said about the failure of the router, cable modem, radio, etc). The issue is liklihood of failure. Many believe a windows machine to be a failure-prone environment since it is running a lot of software . The lighter the software enviroment, the theory goes, the less the risk.

You pay your money, you take your chance!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Most of my reason is not performance related. Rather, I want a means to get into my home network independent of a windows PC in case that PC is in use or has a problem, or if I even need to reboot it and upon reboot the VPN service errors out, does not start etc.. Also if you have a laptop you'll want to take that away from home sometimes and not tie it up with vpn duty.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

I long ago solved the PC Failure Issue by having everything running on remote controlled power switches that can easily be recycled to reboot busted PC.  

I am now using 2 eight port Datalogger brand which also checks the Internet and reboots routers too if we lose Internet

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Doesn't cover the situation where your PC becomes **** due to windows updates or similar, or maybe an actual hardware failure such as a bad drive, dead power supply. Having a separate unit at least allows me to continue using the radio.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Having flashed DD-WRT on few routers in the past.  It was easier to use Ria-N2RJ's script to load it up on a raspberry PI.  Less expensive and nothing to worry about.
  • Warren Gaspar
    Warren Gaspar Member
    edited February 2017
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yes. I ended up with two of them. One for the router room and one for the radio room Surprisingly the most active one is the router room as I tend to have to rebid modems and routers more than radios when I'm remote

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.