Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW in SmartSDR ?

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is there a way to configure a CW key to work on a laptop using SmartSDR ?  Is there anyway to work work CW using SmartSDR?

Bill 

Best Answer

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    That specific capability is not a feature of SmartSDR.  Although we have it in our database to investigate how to do it, but CW keying is very sensitive to latency and adding a PC in between the key and the radio will add latency.  Today you need to use CWX.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Bill, Here is some background on the question. It's 3 years old but has some good info about the options. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote_is_cw_via_a_paddle_in_scope_for_the_remote_enhancement_coming_in_v1_4_and_v2_0 Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    This isn't in SmartSDR per se, but I am thinking maybe a serial port on an attached PC connected to the CW pin on the HD15 connector in the back, and maybe some software to pipe a serial port across the wire. Latency would still be an issue but I see some others like remoterig and remotehamradio.com (which uses remoterig) doing CW remotely with paddles and such. 

I have not tested this concept but until Flex decides that this capability would be something they want to incorporate, this is a theoretical alternate method. 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ria,
    Here is an excerpt from the post I referenced above.   Steve indicated they plan to implement the key / paddle interface via a USB/Serial port on the device (laptop, etc) and  communication with the radio would be via the network.   This was back before Maestro so no telling if/when this will happen now. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
    Win10
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017
    I do, Bill using an USB to RS232 dongle, take dtr signal and by a photocoupler connect to pin 4 of accessory connector. Works very well. I use mixW.
  • Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    SSDR for iOS CW Capability. I really enjoy using my iPad to operate my flex 6300 remote. SSB is great. However, trying to work CW with the iPad keyboard and CWX is awkward. I would much prefer to be able to use my CW key. Is there any plan to add this feature?
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tim

I'm curious why CW works fine on the Maestro but latency is an issue on SmartSDR... ? They both should have that issue , should they not ?

Bill 
  • KD8K
    KD8K Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Could support for an external (USB) Winkeyer be added to Smartsdr?

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Not that I know of. Marcus had talked about it here but there was the problem of connecting the device to the iPad.
  • Hank Wolfla
    Hank Wolfla Member
    edited August 2018
    Anyone found a way to externally key the Smart SDR software running remotely.  Would like to tie it of other cw keying programs.  Hank K9LZJ
  • ambroinaz
    ambroinaz Member ✭✭
    I came across this thread looking for how I might connect my CW key to my Win10 laptop while using SmartSDR remotely away from my 6400r. I get that without a "keyer" on/by the laptop this is not possible, and that the Maestro pulls this off due to the winkeyer in it. Is there any solution for this as of today (Aug 2020)? I do have a Maestro on order... Andy K7AMB
  • Those interested should take a look at the Groups.io group
    https://groups.io/g/RemoteKeyerInterface/topic/
    And a search for the RKI (remote Keyer Interface a Software Tool)
    While it is far from perfect it can and does work

Steve
    KG5VK
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Steve,

The Link didn't work for me,....I think this is it.

https://groups.io/g/RemoteKeyerInterface

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6700 Win10 SSDR V2.4.10

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

SmartSDR for MAC does support this and I just tried it last night. You can follow this in the SmartSDR for MAC discussion group.

However, just was our engineering team reported, it doesn't work as seamlessly as you wish.

Even on my internal LAN, the CW latency when keying via an RS232 port worked, but was far from very smooth even at less than 20 words/minute. This is not a fault of SmartSDR for MAC but the challenges of LAN communications. I urge others to test on their own network as well.

I am still working on this just to see if is something I can resolve. I might try feeding a WinKeyer into it and see how it goes. However, if you understand how TCP communications work you may start to understand why it is flaky at best.

Just to repeat, this is not a fault of the SmartSDR software.

Mike va3mw

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Sooo... Are Mike, VA3MW and Bill, VA3QB (OP, above) actually the same person? Or is it just that all VA3 guys look alike? Inquiring minds want to know...

Len, KD0RC

• Pierre_VE3KTB
    Pierre_VE3KTB Member ✭✭
    Len,
    Knowing them both they are not at all alike, nor do they look alike!

Pierre VE3KTB
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yep, I was joking because the small thumbnail pictures look so much alike. 🙂

Len

• Chippy
    Chippy Member
    Thank you to the community for the information on remote cw via PC which I have read so far.
    Obviously further research by me is required to reach a resolution.
    Regards.
    Chippy

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.