Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

When would the FreeDV wafeform be updated so that it don"t **** up a Solid State PA and it also can

pa0bie
pa0bie Member
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
When would the FreeDV wafeform be updated so that it don"t **** up a Solid State PA and it also can work in the lower side band mode ?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The DV mode shouldn't "**** up" anything when operated properly. The duty cycle is higher than SSB, so operators must adjust their equipment accordingly. 

As for LSB.. the use of USB for digital modes is by convention and shouldn't make a difference between QSO partners. 

Neither question really calls for a change to FreeDV or anything from Flex. Good luck & enjoy operating!
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Typically FreeDV activity on 40 and lower is using LSB. It may not be the digital "convention," but that's the way it is.
  • Bob - G3WKW
    Bob - G3WKW Member
    edited January 2017
    But not the convention for FreeDV which as a speech mode follows the convention for speech modes on the lower bands, as also do the SSTV enthusiasts. In U.K. The weekly RSGB news is being transmitted on 80m in LSB with nets before and after in LSB.
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited January 2017

It is not the FreeDV mode that has blown up Solid State PA's , but the FRS FreeDV wafeform.  This is also confirmed by FRS 's  Matt Youngblood, KD5FGE , as a problem that needs a solution. In Europe we are working on 40 and 80 meters in LSB. For both reasons we are working with FreeDV.exe 1.1.  That means we have complicated situations with sound cards and assigned audio IN/OUT's.

• Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I use FreeDV with a solid state linear.  I have no issues at all, as long as I respect the amp's continuous carrier duty cycle.   I have held numerous QSO's with other stateside operators and not seen an issue with the amp.

Larry, W1IZZ

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    What is the specific issue that causes the amplifiers to "**** up"?
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Free DV flexradio ((wave form)  is all usb all bands.

And the downloaded software from the author of  freedv is 10meters-30meters  usb and 40meters

-160meters is lsb. The standard conventions of usb-lsb.

This was my finding a while back and the flexradio  (wave form) can not be changed from all usb to Lsb.

That's my understanding when I messed with it. So not compatible on 40 meters on down.

Understand this is not flexradio software.

If others use flexradio wave forms in usb  that's works.

If others use the authors LSB modes that works but not crossed over on the side bands.

• pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited January 2017

Hi Laary,

Normal FreeDV transmission:

FreeDV Wafeform:

• pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited January 2017

No reaction to the SSPA blown up problem so far. No solution to the LSB/USB issue so far.

In the meantime there are more modes in use within FreeDV then 1600.

There is 700B , 700C and 800XA.  The FreeDV wafeform starts to be oldbolish. 

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Is it possible to use just FreeDV with DAX? 
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I tried that and could not get the PPT to work.
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited January 2017

Yes You can use FreeDV with DAX as connection between FreeDV and SSDR.  But You have to use a headset on the PC instead of the microfoon and speakers from the Flex.  That give some restrictions , and also the PTT control is not ideal in that situation.

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Yes but I can't get it the PPT to work at all.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ah, now I get it. That would be a problem then. 
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited January 2017

You have to use the PTT button in FreeDV or the spacebar on the computer.

Perhaps this wil help.

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    OK Got it to transmit. Thanks for help!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.