Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX I/Q level is too high comming out of stream for feeding MAP65. Can I adjust it?

Paul Sokoloff
Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
DAX I/Q level is too high comming out of stream for feeding MAP65.  Can I adjust it?

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Have you tried to adjust it in DAX on the Slider in RF streams?
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Thanks for your reply.  RX streams is for audio only. 

IQ streams does not have a slider.  Cannot find any level control for that parameter.

Paul 

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I am sorry, I misread.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The DAXIQ output is fixed for a 0 dB output gain level.  There is no way to change the gain level (volume) of the DAXIQ channel.
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I went into "DAX RESERVED IQ RX 1" and lowered the levels to 25%.  I also unchecked "applications exclusive control"  There is no difference in the level noted in MAP65.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Never use or change any the reserved DAX audio devices.  Only change the ones that are not labeled reserved.
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Also note I changed from MME to WDM and still no change.
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

OK went into Sound tab and then into Recording tab.  That is the only place I found a DAX IQ 1 non reserved device.  I had changed that and no change in map65.

• Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Do I need to reboot after change?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You shouldn't need to reboot.  I'll need to investigate why the gain is fixed and not adjustable in the Windows sound device properties.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    Is there an update on this? I'm thinking I would like to adjust the level coming into CW skimmer to reduce it's sensitivity to noise. Some nights with few signals I'm running 2500 decoders while skimmer tries to decode noise.

Or maybe there's an adjustment within skimmer I've missed.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    The gain if fixed because the DAXIQ comes out of the FPGA and there is no facilities to reduce it.  Also, I run CWSkimmer, SDR-Bridge and a 6700 several times a week and I do not see this behavior at all.  I suspect that there may be something set in CWSkimmer that is causing this behavior.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    It seems to be the noise level causing it which is why I was hoping to back it down a little bit. Here's 80 meters this morning. The difference as I can tell is the noise level is down quite a bit this morning. I'll check with the author and see if I'm missing something there.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    Check the decoding thresholds and if you are only viewing verified calls in CW Skimmer.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    I have Verified Calls + Show 599 checked. I see no place to adjust decoding thresholds. Just sent an email to Alex and will post if he has a solution.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    Alex's response:
    There is no point in adjusting the I/Q level, unless it is so high that the signal is clipped. CW Skimmer looks at the peaks above the noise floor so multiple yellow circles mean that there were multiple peaks rather than the usual wideband (flat) noise.
    Hmm. Not sure what to make of it but it seems to be like this by design.

Thanks for checking Tim.

Kev

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I have a similar issue with the DAX IQ level into MAP65.  In my case it is too low.  On 2M EME it reads about 13% in the MAP65 level display and they recommend a level at 20-30%.  Is there a way to increase the DAX IQ level?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    The level for DAXIQ is fixed.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    Is there a standard for I/Q? Is it always fixed or is it FRS's implementation? If it is just an implementation issue can we turn this thread from a question to an idea?

K

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.