Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RFI Problem Finally Solved

Rick
Rick Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in New Ideas
I've been battling a problem for far too long and this weekend I borrowed a friends heafty LiPo battery pack that was sufficient to power a non-Flex radio. This enabled me to throw all the breakers of in house and power them up one at a time. Once I identified the troublesome circuit, which fortunately was in my house despite the fact that the Hex Beam would null out the RFI, I could then start pulling plugs on individual components in the shack. I've attached a screen shot to show the severity of the problem on 20m. It turned out to be an older NEC computer monitor that was powered directly as opposed to the more typical outboard supplies we often see now. I've seen some similar posts on the list and thought I'd share my resolution. I'm clean as a whistle now!73
Rick, W2JAZimage
0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

0 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    "throw all the breakers of in house and power them up one at a time." This is great advice, I always tell my colleagues to try this first. Glad you figured it out!
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Nice! I do the same every few months or so. I tend to gather a lot of gadgets and different things turn on as the seasons change. Over time it seems noise builds up slowly and I have the whack the sources. I'm kind of curious to see an after screenshot and, if at all possible, include the dB scale on the right?
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think I have another screen shot that does include the dB scale. If you really want it I can send it.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    I like to compare the numbers with what I see here at home. It just lets me know I'm in the ballpark with my setup (under-confidence). Just a curiosity.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ok Here you go. Different day but same old same old. I'll also attach a screen shot from after the problem was solved. Amazing!imageimage
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    Huge difference!

My typical noise floor on 20 looks similar to your clean spectrum but signal strengths on my side are generally a few dB less than what you are seeing I think. I'm guessing living in a valley might account for that.

Thanks for the extra shots.

Kev K4VD
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great!  Nothing feels better than getting rid of RFI or a ground loop - except maybe a brother-in-law who's spent the last four years living in your basement.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing! It's about time for me to do the same.... last time I did I found a Chinese wall wart powering and old laptop that was killer... just have to find a time the XYL can be without power... maybe 4 am :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.