Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR v1.9.9 released. Can SmartSDR 2.0 be coming next?

Answers

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Ken, I love you, if I had come up with all that in one sitting I'd need to sit down with a cold one for an hour. Phew!
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Guys,

Here is the reality of SDR driven radio systems. As we interface to pretty much our Radio/IT world through the PC screen we do need lots of gadgets, and "stuff" on-screen most of the time.

This is my 43 inch 4K (ultra HD) display in the shack. It replaced 2 x 29" ultra-wide monitors. The space in my shack where I used to have lots of black boxes, radios knobs, dials, tuners, etc. is now on my screen instead.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You know Ken? I don't know if most of that would make the V2.0 list. If they expect to entice us to buy a feature set, it seems it needs to be even better. All the things listed are things I see them developing going ahead. I bet the features they are thinking of are ones we have not even thought of, something no other radio has or could do. I wonder. Think about the platform of the 6000 and what it could do?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I noticed that as well. Now we actually have to set up the 2nd 27" monitor at the operating position. Between SmartSDR, Skimmer, Log4OM and DDUtil there's quite a lot going on. But on the bright side there's no more Winkey, SignaLink, DX Doubler and pretty soon no more antenna switch boxes and amp either as that can stay out of the way.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve, this is were we have come. Look at your screen shot, this is the new reality of SDR operation.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nicely laid out!  I have had a dream of getting a 48 inch 4K, but I am about $550 short!  Hi HI!  I am currently using two 24" 1080P Samsung TV's in HDMI monitor mode.  The advantage is that I can watch the tube on one of them if the bands stink!  My current video card won't support 4K right now.  I will need to save for another card, then the TV...But I need to save for an Amp first, then a SO2R Box, and...and....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Most of the list was for additional updates in the V.2.x series...not for the initial V.2.0 release.  That would be asking for WAY too much!  

But as they move to V.2.1  V.2.2, etc.  then We might see some of it.  

And some of the advanced test equipment ideas might become V.3.0 or external optional feature set pay-to-play stuff.

And you are correct...with the power of the processors in the rig, there are LOTS more things that can be thought to do, and some that are probably even being thought of now, but are too ahead-looking to consider developing yet.....
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

This is one discussion I where I agree with both points of view.

On the one hand, there are some features I’d really like to see, based on my own short-term experience, such as - auto AGC-T  and/or a visual tuning aid, TNF for Maestro,  NB that does not have to be re-enabled frequently,  pre-distortion ........

On the other hand, I wouldn’t want the GUI to become the equivalent of a TS-990 or IC-7851 front panel, have so many layers of options that I’d become dangerous to myself, or enable functions that are already be available externally.   

It’s tough to keep a balance.  I guess that’s why  Harry Truman once said that he was looking for a one-armed Economist, because he was tired of hearing “On the one hand ........”

Howard

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I forgot to put under AGC Improvements:

3) The Automatic AGC Mode should have an adjustment that allows the set-point to be shifted + or - reference the calculated "perfect" position on the "Knee." (Similar to the +/- setting on the light/dark control on an automated camera or copy machine.)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are planning on having a SmartSDR v1.10.x minor version released prior to SmartSDR v2.0 initial major version release.  This SmartSDR v1.10.x will contain several new station integration features and capabilities such as providing band data and serial port CAT control of third-party peripherals, such as tuners, amplifiers, and antenna switching. More details will be forthcoming as we get closer to the release date.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    That sounds great, Tim.  Thanks - should make interfacing a whole lot easier.

Cheers

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    At the very very least v2.0 should do everything that other similar priced-classed radios could do right out of the box. An Icom 7851 for comparison maybe?  

However, because SSDR is entirely software, and thus lacks real knobs and dials then some aspects actually need to be way better than an Icom 7851 with regards to such things as ease of access, ergonomics, work-flow, metering, slider precision, status/information feed-back etc.

For example have you tried adjusting the display gain setting in SSDR to exactly 30?  it's fun for the first minute or two, but the lack of digital precision frustrates the **** out of me. It needs better digital annotation and the ability to do single key up/down depression adjustments instead of mouse jumping around like a crazy dog after a ****.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Do you envision a USB to Serial adapter to be needed between the Flex USB port and an external device? Something like this?

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This drives me nuts too, but you can actually left click with the mouse to the side of the slider circle for a one step increase or decrease.

I find that for display anything above 30 in either Gain or Black will just render the waterfall useless.... I definitely would like a finer tuning... feels too coarse.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Yes, exactly.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Ken - Now that was an impressive list, I'd love for the docking idea, having 4 monitors and now also using my iPad Pro 12.9 as 5th monitor at home and 2nd monitor to my HP Omen laptop, I'd love to put slices where I'd like and menus etc... that and VPN and we are well on the way to making me happy.

As I learn more about this radio the other things you mention will also become more and more important.

Thanks for putting them out there is such detail!

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This is great!
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Ken,

You might want to keep your inches under control. I looked at a lot of monitors before jumping in.

Even at 43 inches, I find it's like watching a fast tennis match from the centre line. In other words your head is constantly zipping left and right. That is why I have put the mostly used apps in the central part of the screen. Also, trying to read un-scalable window text at the top corners of the screen is almost impossible, parallax/perspective issues I guess.

I sit exactly 37 inches back from the screen. Much further and stuff like sliders becomes too small, but a bigger screen would mean you needed a hydraulic neck.

Caveat Emptor
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    I currently have two 27" WUXGA and two 24" WUXGA monitors plus my iPad Pro as the 5th. I'm saving for two 43" 4K monitors for the main position and keeping the two 27" for portrait mode and still using the iPad as another simply because it's cool and displays important items from my system such liquid cooling temps, fan speeds etc..
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve, As much as I like your neat and orderly layout, I probably wouldn't be stretching my panadapter as wide as you have it, precisely because of the ping-pong neck effect!

I remember reading in a previous post here on the community that 48 inches was about the smallest that 4K TV's can go and get maximum pixel resolution.  But that was about a year ago and things may have changed.

Also, I have a 32 inch deep desk and tend to recline a bit in my chair, so my distance to the screen mounted on the wall would probably be more like 42-48 inches.  So a little larger would probably not hurt.

But I will do some more looking when I get ready to the change, which is likely to be a while!

Ken - NM9P
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Is there a Flex radio that is in the same price point as the 7851 or is it pretty near the cost of one 6700 plus a 6500 combined. My point is asking an SDR costing 7500 to be way better than a rig costing MSRP about 4,500 more than the 6700 while would be fantastic is unrealistic. I get it, you can custom it because it's SDR but don't forget Maestro constraints.

Having said that, when Flex says hey we're going to have this SOON and it's been going on 4 years frustration is to be expected.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Will there be a 100% buff and polish release without snuck in features that breaks existing behavior? It sounds like you just answered that question in the negative.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    NordicPC, granted the 7851 is a little OTT for comparison, but if you take a 6700 and add the Maestro to get the front panel aspects, to be like-for-like to the 7851 then you have a radio of £8,000 (about $10,385). And then on top of that you still need to add about £1k for a good spec PC and monitor before it can do much. You can buy a lot of radio for that same £8-9k, however cost is not the issue really.

Even an entry-level £1k radio has multimode squelch, filters that stick to the way you set them, built-in CW/RTTY terminals, voice keyers, and direct driving of amps and SteppIR antennas is actually easier. Getting the fundamentals right before the rocket science will pull many Flexers back on side.
  • Mike
    Mike Member
    edited September 2016
    I don't like the idea of having to pay for updates. We spent enough on the radio/maestro. I wouldn't mind having to buy version tw0 including updates for it.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Just basic functions like SQUELCH......
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dave: I agree. Squelch should have been implemented long ago.
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Wow Ken! Just about short circuited my mind on that post. Outstanding! Can't wait until it gets cold so I can go on vacation and play radio.

• Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Even a $30 CB has squelch!
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I agree SQUELCH should have been implemented long ago.  I've posted many times asking that this be taken care of.  Seems to have fallen on deaf ears....
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I think the Squelch thing has been answered and the item has a number to be implemented. You guys continue to **** away at this as if it makes any difference. How does this good thread turn into a Flex bash because a feature is not coming as fast as some would like?

Dumb comments like: ( Seems to have fallen on deaf ears,) Wrong it is planned.
    and,( Even a $30 CB has squelch!,) this is the funniest one. Yes those $30 radios are so complicated.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.