Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR v1.9.9 released. Can SmartSDR 2.0 be coming next?

Arnie
Arnie Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just stirring the **** a bit.
73 de Arnie W8DU

Answers

• KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited June 2017
    It sure would be nice to get this considering the features have been promised for over a year now.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I am still looking for more features under version one.  So I hope they keep coming.

Cheers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Actually, I think we are getting a 1.10 before 2.0
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Oh I certainly hope so, but it had better be good!

I am really hoping that it has all the prerequisites that should have been there from the v1.0
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Well, there can always be a v1.9.9.1 if they need to add something prior to the big release of 2.0. I do hope one can adjust the sizing of the waterfall and panadapter, as well as tweak colors for those with visual impairments, with 2.0.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I suspect what will happen in Flex will continue with the 1-series until two things occur first until they get 1.x correct where correct is something between what they envisioned it being and what the user base envisions it being and number two and perhaps more importantly wait until they're within say 6 months of a 2.0.0 release because if they've learned anything it's people here are like really really bad about holding their breath and their water.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm betting 2.0 has a great squelch so we can put all those slices to full use without going deaf from the noise mix.
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Amen to the need for squelch !!! It should have been included from the get-go. I don't think anyone expected SmartSDR to be less smart than PowerSDR, even 4 years after SmartSDR was first released.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Squelch, band edge markers, working ANF, Band Data from radio, and a few others I am also hoping that will be part of the final 1.x release. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not a fair comment, I think. The idea of buying a Flex is to grow with it over time as features change. SSDR is extremely complicated and  far more advanced then PSDR. I know you guys would not move to another kind of radio, you would have done so by now with all the complaining about SSDR not fully complete in you eyes.
  • Phil - N6ERP
    Phil - N6ERP Member
    edited May 2020
    The way I see it is this is a joint effort between the MFG and the end users. Our real world experience and feedback helps the software people make a good rig even better.

Yes, I've mentioned that the NR & ANF should be improved. I'm sure they will be in time. It must be hard to prioritize improvements & new features, when everyone wants something different, all at the same time.

At least this is a situation where it's getting better one way or another on every new release. Gives us something to look forward to.. Works for me, I like my constantly evolving Flex 6500!
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

It looks like it will be 1.9.x going to 1.10.x after that up to maybe 1.99.x then 2.00.x
    Depends on where they put the decimal points.

The numbers game. :)

Bringing more improvements.

• Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Don't care if its 2.  3. or 4. or even I have to pay for it, just give us the pure signal you promised ...!!

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    A good point Phil, it is certainly a collaborative joint development, and one where the long-standing patient userbase deserves more information and input to the process than just this apparently one-way forum.

A serious question: has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of what we the userbase are in fact expecting as "must-haves" from v2.0?

If not, we really should do this so that it can act as the benchmark to help dicide on if/when to part with dollars...

-.-

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Things may work a little different after V.2.0
    They likely will have feature sets for sale, and if we like them we can buy them. I would think they already have a list of things planed. But I suppose it would not hurt to put in a request.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    FRS has already stated that Adaptive Pre-Distortion is in the plan. They designed the hardware to support it from the beginning. But they have other features that are higher on the priority list to add or perfect first.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And as none of the newer up coming SDR radios don't have it either?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I want a good mix of common sense features, smooth operation improvements and WOW factor features.

Since FDX I have not had a "WOW factor" feature. Well, maybe WNB, that has been a WOW factor feature as well.
    The new CAT/DAX (ver 1.5?) was very close to a WOW factor feature but in reality it falls more into smooth operation improvements. CAT and DAX were becoming cumbersome and it was the logical step forward.

The distinctive aspect of a 6000 is the VISUAL aspect. We get the most amazing panadapter display from any radio manufacture. I have tried many SDR software programs and no one come close to the quality of SmartSDR.... but, feature wise? Well, that is where it falls short. We have not had any new features added to the Panadapter. All that real state and no new things.

Markers, use of different colors, cluster integration, tagging, labels, customization, signal detection, CW, PSK, RTTY decoding, recording and playback of streams, there are just so many things that can be done in that space..... How cool would it be if the radio could suggest mode based on the info it gets from the panadapter. You put the slice on top of a signal, and you get a popup suggesting changing to CW based on the characteristics.

I want information, I want voltages, power levels, SWR numbers, and all kinds of neat things happening on my screen. I want some level of customization, I want to be able to organize things in certain ways and I want to be able to see, within all that real state if I have TX1 or TX2 enabled, if Binaural is ON or OFF, etc...

Common sense features are paramount, even though they might not be very sexy. Not having Squelch in my 6700 that is capable of monitoring 8 different frequencies is just plain wrong. And we know, thanks to FRStack, that it is not a difficult thing to add. But having to use FRStack to have squelch is not fun, is not appealing, it's just not the way I want to operate my Flex radio.

Profiles are very useful, so are memories, but we need to have a "better" profile manager. I want to be able to short, group and customized those Profiles. Maybe even be able to assign a few buttons somewhere in SmartSDR to be able to recall those most common profiles.

We have tons of room, heck, we can go 4k on SmartSDR, do you realize how amazing that is?? 4k of real state... nothing in ham radio comes close to that! And what do I get with 3840x2160 pixels?? A bunch of sub menus... come on. Who, here, is not using their Flex radios in the biggest monitor they can fit/afford? Only to realize that I have to click several times to go from LSB to AM, while I have a lot of space utilized by the DEXP slider which I set once and forget it. Same goes for AM carrier...

All of these things falls between "common sense" and "smooth operation". Those need to to be done inside version one... heck, I really think, and again, this is my personal opinion, that FRS needs to get those things right, and in V 1 of the software.

I would love to get Pre Distortion in my Flex... that falls in the WOW Factor category, but I would be disappointed if I get that before I get squelch.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Steve, did you mean 2.0 or 1.x? On the "collaborative effort", huh?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    LOL, just have to buckle up and come on the ride. The 6000 is just getting started. All of what you said may or may not be done, but changes are certain going ahead. To me, the idea of such a clean state of the art software free of clutter appeals to me.

I did notice a few things mentioned about CW, PSK, RTTY decoding, these are taken care of in 3rd party software as it is intended to be.
    As it is with any radio, everything you want in it may never happen, that's just how things are.
    So, keep enjoying your high tech radio and grow with it as more things happen.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Let me ask you Bill... and answer from the heart.... you wouldn't want to see some if not all the features I mentioned available in SmartSDR? Really? You do not want squelch, or band edge markers, or decoding inside SmartSDR?

So if Flex happens to add any of those... would you stay on the previous version because it is less cluttered? Furthermore, why would it be cluttered, did FDX, better CAT/DAX or WNB add clutter to SmartSDR when it was added?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok wow. We know squelch is planned. Band edge would be nice. All decoding is taken care of with 3rd party software as it should be.

I just would like the screen to stay much as it is, clean. But I don't think I need to worry about that as it seems Flex thinks the same way. No I would not roll back if they cluttered it up more, I would accept the way it is and enjoy the radio.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That is the point I wanted to make. From your perspective "as is" or any future updates will all be fine. Therefore, my comment is more about what some of us dream the SmartSDR could be... and for me, having those in the near future will make my flex ownership experience that much more satisfactory. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I interpreted Bill's comments as more of a commentary that is easy for software UIs to devolve into a cluttered mess with every conceivable feature, control and capability crammed in which ends up interfering with the operating experience, not that he opposes any particular feature.

I am personally in agreement on this perspective, that it is easy to get carried away and make a perfectly functional GUI a pain to use and a cleaner, less cluttered interface is more ergonomic and functional to use. There are lots of examples. This is also a design prerogative of our GUI team to keep the UI highly functional and not distract from the primary set of use cases.  
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    To answer Tim´s comment, and please, keep in mind that this is sharing different points of view and ideas so no one take offense.... I like these threads where anyone can freely share opinions.

If I have to have FRStack do squelch, CWSkimmer decode, CW Bridge interface CWSkimmer with SmartSDR, DXAtlas provide cluster and SmartSDR Setup opened to see binaural or TX1 enabled-disabled status.... how can I consider that screen uncluttered??
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I just would like the screen to stay much as it is, clean. But I don't think I need to worry about that as it seems Flex thinks the same way. No I would not roll back if they cluttered it up more, I would accept the way it is and enjoy the radio.

And I suppose if we are comparing SSDR with other SDR software, what do we compare to. Remember PSDR went many years, 6 or 7 years before it had all the features it has. And some years later someone has taken it up again adding even more of late. The Anan folks are still working with it, changing it 10 years later.

So really, in the time SSDR has been out, It looks like it is moving along just fine.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is one thing all us SDR folks deal with. The more apps you open, the more cluttered it looks. No wonder many use 2nd screens. But My comment is mostly about the normal operating GUI.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    ta dah...and that my friends is why it takes 3 mouse clicks to change band!  Ergonomics and ease of use are being sacrificed for the sake of cosmetics.

Presentation over functionality is never going to work with such a complex eco-system with deep functions and menus etc.

It's only because so much of the essential functionality actually resides outside of SSDR in the likes of DDUTIl, CAT, DAX, FRStacks, Smeter etc. etc. that the interface can be kept to a minimalistic look.

Most of that "clutter" is still required in order to drive your station properly, so back comes the clutter. But, hey at least it not in the beauty queen SSDR right?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    For two SCU units in the Flex6700, would a Polar Mag/Angle Adjust Display so that Plasma TV
    interference could be nulled out like on the ANAN200D or used in a Dual Beverage Vertical Antenna system arrangement to steer the beam to maximize a signal or null a signal electronically be a useful feature 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.