Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

voice keying

K6ANP
K6ANP Member ✭✭
Voice Keying: Am I missing something? A radio in this price range does not provisions for voice keying options?  

Answers

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Are you referring to VOX operation?
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    You can do DVK for PowerSDR via this option http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PowerSDRCommanderWinWarbler    .  So, I assume you can do it with SMARTSDR
    Andy K3UK
  • K6ANP
    K6ANP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    No, I'm referring to voice messages examples F1 CQ DE K6ANP F2 59 thank you
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I suppose being a software defined radio, it makes sense to do this sort of thing in software? Quite a few logging programs offer this kind of functionality. N1MM+ for example offers complete voice keying including recording numbers/letters for callsign/serial numbers, something that wouldn't be possible if it was integrated in the radio.
  • Gary m0gme
    Gary m0gme Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Its my only big gripe with smartsdr, even my old pro 2 had voice memories! I'm a dxer not contester so not a priority clearly , still cost me the same amount of money though. FDV, D-Star and other b-----ks more important than basic modern radio function?  It can be done with third party software's. But it should be as simple as CWX and built into Smartsdr. Tim sort it out please!

Gary m0gme
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The work-around I currently use involves two simple programs.

1) Audacity, for recording and exporting my voice keyer sound files - set the recording input for the DAX Mic Stream and you can record right from your station microphone.  Once you record a file, you can use a LITTLE compression, just to make all the voice files the same volume, and export it to a .WAV file format.  

2) K9RUR's Voice Keyer program - lets you set up a wide variety of voice keyer profiles - for general operating, contesting, DXing, 6-Meters, etc.  There are 10 voice messages allowed for each profile.
    The small footprint of the program allows you to park it right above your logging program, or your SSSDR if you don't use full screen.  It will allow you to output your voice keyer files via the DAX TX Stream using either VOX or COM PTT.

It takes a few minutes to set it up, but it is very versatile.  The neat thing about SDR's is that you can use 3rd party software along with the main SSDR and it doesn't really matter who wrote the program, if it works, you can use it!

Ken - NM9P
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    One of the greatest things about the Flex is that you can plug in hundreds of programs to accomplish most anything and made to run with the Flex. SSDR is just what it is, a dummy terminal, not software with every kind of software aps built in to it. This is what 3rd party software is for and it is  intended to be used with the Flex. This is not an oversight, but a design.
  • Rick- K2RB
    Rick- K2RB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The workarounds do work but it would be convenient to have this feature built in without having to do extra mouse clicks and have it controlled by the keyboard or f key on the Maestro. It will just add another special tool to the flex system. I have hoped for this seemless solution from the day I bought my first flex. It would be enhance the system greatly and really is a needed option in today's world of computer control. Thanks, Rick, K2rb
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I know what your saying Rick. All these aps are not considered work around's. The SSDR is simply a dummy terminal, the plan is to use software plugins to do what we want to. Because there are hundreds of functions and activity's people are interested in, can you imagine the size SSDR would need to be in order to build them all into it? So now we pick and chose what we want to do and just download the ap and go.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I liken it to demands of JT65, or WSPR, or digital modes in SmartSDR.  Nice? I suppose so. But there is a logic in having separateness. If SmartSDR implemented everyone thought was needed in SmartSDR, we'd achieve bloatware status pretty quickly. I'd hate for SmartSDR to go the way of Ham Radio Deluxe. NOw into personal preferences.... When I have N1MM keying for me, it voice and CW keys for each operator, then logs under each one's callsign as well as the main callsign, and I'd much rather have Flex Systems write SmartSDR for OSX or Linux than duplicating something I already have.

But of course, that's my opinion.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Adding integrated voice keyer functionality to SmartSDR for Windows has been added to our feature database as item #3985
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You can call it VKX for Voice Keyer eXpress. Although I use voice Keyer options from K9DUR or various logging programs, it would be handy when running remote to have some kind of internal voice keyer when I don't have my loggers installed on the remote computer, or even with the iOS remote.
  • K6ANP
    K6ANP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    How do I add integrated voice keyer functionality. My current software is V.1.7.30.160
  • K6ANP
    K6ANP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Ken: May we have a discussion regarding DVK off the reflector.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nm9p (at) yahoo (dot) com
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    BTW... I just noticed that I typo'd K9DUR. (It is NOT K9RUR)
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    Ray Andrews, K9DUR is correct

• Fabio Schettino
    edited February 2017
    Hi guys I am evaluating flex 6700 for a SO2R setup from D4C. Plans are to be ready for the next incoming cqww season. Even I still didn't hold a 6700 machine I wonder to know if instead of software DVK that need to have ur mic connect to the PC, there is an option to include HW DVK into the Flex HW, just to play and rec messages on fly during a TX session with the Mic connected to the flex. Is there any chance about that ? Thanks Fabio. I4UFH / W6UFH
  • Rick- K2RB
    Rick- K2RB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hope item 3985 gets a priority. It would add so much to enjoyment of my flex. Rick
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited February 2017
    In the meantime i just record my cq on the fly with the record button and then click play with the mouse whilst pressing my footswitch to ptt. I use this method in all ssb contests on hf and vhf plus in long dx pileups. Its less hassle than going through the wav file and n1mm route.
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited February 2017
    K9DUR Voice Keyer has worked first time every time I have installed and used it with srd.  Its the only program that I have found to work every time.  Thats why I've sent him $75 probably need to send him some more.

roger
  • Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭

Hi all , and HNY !

Has there been any progress on this please ?

Paul F6EXV

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Nope

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I will provide the answer you may not like, but it won't keep you waiting.

For the moment, voice keying will have to come from an external source such as Ray's application, or contest programs such as N1MM, etc.

We know it is an asked-for option and it is on the list, but not near the top.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

In SmartSDR for Mac, Voice Keyer is already built into the software. No, external programs required. dan de WA1QZX

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

SmartSDR for Mac is outstanding!

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭

7 years since it was "requested". You need to contract more people...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.