Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartsdr for iOS cutting in and out

Marty Bluhm
Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
SmartSDR for IOS signals uncopiable

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Most likely a wi-fi issue. Change "net" to slow, reduce waterfall speed and display FPS. Should help. If not enough, you may need to change your wi-fi channel or network configuration.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Please provide more information on your setup.
  • Marty Bluhm
    Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    No joy. Following your advice, I also checked my router settings. Took the channel selection off "auto" . On the 2.4 side (renamed the 2.4 & 5g to 2 different names also) set channel 11, on the 5 to 157. Applied, saved and closed out. Also have elimated previous Windows using the 2 clicks on Home button and swiping up on each app. Ithe one thing I noticed and not sure about is both iPads are using the same IP address. All my windows computers I've assigned static ip's too. Bottom line is all remains the same. George's suggestion didn't work so back to the boards. Thanks.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If all of your devices are using the same IP address, the network will have serious connection issues. Allow your iPads and computers to get a DHCP address.
  • Marty Bluhm
    Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thought I was logged in, no joy there either. Here we go again. George: all the windows machines have their own unique ip addresses assigned to them. What is happening on the 2 mini is if I log on with mini2' the last 3 of the ip is 164. I log off 2 and bring up 4, the last 3 of the ip is 164. The other digits of the ip are also the same. For Michael, maybe the 3rd time will be the charm, wrote this twice didn't make it either time. Running SSDR for IOS 1.02 with SSDR V1.84(latest ver). I have 2 mini iPads (2 gen & 4 gen). Mini2 is running just fine. Mini4 has a noise problem of a rushing or cutting in & out sound. Copy is impossible. I have checked setti no joy. Followed George's advice, no joy. As a last resort deleted the app from mini4 and reinstalled from the cloud, no joy. Stuck on where to go next. Thanks Marty W8AKS
  • Marty Bluhm
    Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I knew I would forget something. Went into the router. Changed the 2.4 and 5 names to 2 different names so I could work on them individual ly. Changed the channel selection from auto to an assigned channel. Tried connecting the iPads to the different networks with no difference. No difference.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I have a Linksys wrt1900ac router and in the wireless settings I had to turn off

the AC setting to 802.11g only @ 2.4 Ghz

and

802.11a only @ 5 ghz or I had the same choppy cutting in and out issue you speak of.

Basically I turned off the Mixed mode settings.

I was using an older Linksys wrt120n router with no issues so that's what got me to start messing with these settings.

I am using a iphone 6s, ipad pro 12.9 and an ipad 3... all three were doing the same thing until I changed my settings as described above.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
  • Marty Bluhm
    Marty Bluhm Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Larry, thank you, thank you, thank you. Did it and working great. Thanks to all for your help. So glad I've got a Flex with the great support!
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It don't make sense to me to turn the faster setting off but it works .
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited August 2016
    I can say that forcing my 5 GHz network from mixed 20/40/80 MHz channels to fixed 20 MHz channels made a huge difference when using SSDR on Win7 on my laptop. No idea why. It was Dave, WO2X's suggestion. 
  • w9kjo
    w9kjo Member ✭✭

Adjusting the setting in my wifi router still works in fixing the stuttering problem. I am using a TP Link router and the wifi settings do not allow for the same selections as the above image. However changing from the 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed to 802.11b/g/n mixed has worked so far for me. The only non-mixed selection in my router is 802.11ax only and that does not work at all. I also set the channel width to 20 mhz and I am using the 2.4Ghz connection.

There are still occasional drop out. just a little blip but at least it seems to be working for now.

One would think that in 2024 these issues would have been resolved long ago. But things are as they are.

73 W9KJO Walter

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 26

Tim asked me to test this just last week on my MacBook Pro.

There was no way I could get a seamless radio connection on WiFi. I am using a Google Mesh. On my Win 10 and 11 laptops, no issues at all. On the Mac, which is about 3 years old, very painful. And, I updated it to the latest version of MacOS.

The laptop is lightly loaded and this is after a reboot with no other applications running.

I then tested the Mac with a USB-C to LAN adapter and it worked flawlessly. This leads me to believe there is something strange in the MAC Book WiFi Modem/IP stack. It 'sounds' like a bufferbloat issue and is trying to buffer all the streaming data.

Searching on the internet, this seems to be a common issue, but I have no idea just how bad it is.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.