Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Checklist for 6x00 operations

Stan VA7NF
Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

Does anyone with a Flex in a clubhouse/contest station environment have an OPERATIONS checklist or quick reference?

This would have the basics of powering up and how to type items.  A reference to the full documentation would be helpful.

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Stan

I don't have your answer, but it I want to say a few things as an old ****.  To be honest, I would just have club members try something.  They can't break it.  Seriously.  And, by pushing buttons, you learn things.  If you have questions about a certain function, just look it up in the manual.   The flex is pretty bullet proof.

Yes, you'll need checklists for the right antenna, right band and ensuring that members honor their license.  That is just good operating.

I 'feel' that this is a lost art.  People don't 'try things' as they are either afraid of failure or have been conditioned otherwise.  

Sorry, I'm not picking on you at all.  :)  It is just something I've noticed as someone who is always trying to hire young technical talent and it is getting harder to do.

Mike va3mw

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Michael, I could not agree more.    Trying things for yourself builds confidence and leads to new areas of learning.    Not everything needs to be 'cook book' style.
    The manual is pretty clear and does have an index, after all.   Just learn to read!

73, Jim   KD1I
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    You may want to check with K6OZY.  I'm guessing he has one.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I don't find the idea of check lists at all a problem. I use them all the time, because while the flex might be bulletproof, some of the stuff we connect it to is not.  I use them for my protection, and to not **** up equipment.

Now that being said, I'm not certain of the worth of a list that I have made to someone else's setups. My checklists are based on my generators, networks, power supplies and radios, not anything else. 

As well - it's going to take a little while for people to absorb what they need to learn in order to operate effectively. For actually operating the radio, the only way I know that works well is sitting with the noob and answering questions and explaining.

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I not only have to have check lists, I also have to document the heck out of stuff.  There have been a number of times in my life where it is really nice to have a guide or good documentation that walks you through setting up a particular piece of hardware or software.  I look at all of the stuff running on my computer and without good documentation, it would really be difficult to replicate it without forgetting a bunch of the steps.

I'm sure nearly everyone on this forum goes out to the internet and reads posts from other folks detailing how they got some piece of software to talk to their Flex. 

Documentation and guides are priceless, especially if your in the middle of field day and don't have access to the internet....   
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    All

SDRgadgets is intended to be a collection of useful, correct documentation. Once you've created or found your checklist, why not park a backup copy of it, in our wiki. We don't have a lot of content yet because nobody seems interested in taking the time required to add any. They have time to copy/paste or type it here in the Community, sometimes more than once, but copypasting or typing a link to it on SDRgadgets, in their Community posts might save a few keystrokes and mouse clicks.

If more of us used SDRgadgets it would have more content, maybe even the checklist your trying to find.image

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Not a bad idea.
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I hadnt heard of SDRGadgets till now. Maybe put a post on here about the site
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Wayne 
    There have been several posts in the past. The idea for the site came from a discussion here in the Community. I try to avoid spamming the Community with posts about the website. I have begun adding a link to the site in my post signatures. Even that may be seen as spamming by some of the Community members. Any discussions about SDRgadgets need to done within the Communities "Third Party Applications and Products" Category as much as possible.

SDRgadgets discussions should really be done on SDRgadgets.com not here. I'm also always available on #SDRgadgets onin freenode's IRC network, anytime I'm logged into my windows desktop. for any questions. Just ask it in the channel and lurk around until you get a response. (I may not always be looking)

Disclaimer
    : SDRgadgets wiki website is independently maintained and not officially affiliated with FlexRadio Systems or its employees. The content and information provided is that of the respective author(s) and contributors.

Flexradio Systems has no control over SDRgadgets. The Flexradio Users control SDRgadgets. At least that's the plan.

I created (with the help of several Flex users) the whole concept to provide a place for Flexer's to create any missing pieces they want. Think of it as a gift, (from NO5J) to all of the Flex Users.

It's hard to discuss SDRgadgets here, without hijacking a thread.

I'm sorry!, If my replies have hijacked this one.

Lets try and move our hijacking to ...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/3rd-party-sdrgadgets-discussions

Which I just created.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

edited to fix the links

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok thanks for the info, jay.. I will check it out
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Let's see - One reply: We need one, Another: We don't need one

Promote SDRGadgets - But there isn't a checklist on the WIKI

Push buttons and learn

But nobody has a brief document as a fast guide.

I have read and pushed buttons on SmartSDR for 3 years and the Maestro for 3 months so feel quite comfortable with them.  Now take someone that hasn't seen a SDR (and even now the rig is racked away from view so it isn't even seen) and turn them loose - Seen the learning curve?

Just thinking someone else may have a head-start for things (one sample of hundreds of possible items: How do you change bands other than using N1MM?  Before the list of replies, I know that; but from the SmartSDR or from Maestro it takes a first step, then the menu is available.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.