Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ham Radio Deluxe & SmartSDR 1.8.4 Setup Help!

KC2QMA_John
KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
Does anyone know if there is a guide or video for the latest version of HRD 6.3 that shows how to get things setup with the latest version of SmartSDR 1.8.4?

Answers

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Larry for the info. Looks like there have been a few changes to HRD since these instructions were created.

When I select SmartSDR as my radio in HRD nothing works? The only thing that seems to get things working better is if I select “SDR-RADIO” from the drop down list in HRD?

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Like,

Easy, just first you need to know that your SmartCAT (data from your 6000)  and the DAX  (Digital Audio eXchange)  is working..   Look at your SmartCAT and determine your CAT port to connect to,  usually Com4 or Com5 ,  but there will be a big blue square with a "C"  (CAT Port)  .   This is your com port to be entered in the "Connect"  window of HRD..   Set FlexRadio  and SmartSDR   , then click connect..   Just that easy,  just for HRD.. 

For the audio in DM780 ,  make sure that the input audio (Capture as I remember)  is set to your DAX RX Audio slice ,  usually  channel 1,  playback is the DAX TX audio channel..   (Besure to have the "DAX"  button on in the TX Stack)  And make sure that you have DAX audio "1"  selected in the Slice window too under DAX.. 

That's it!
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Dudley I should mention that I had almost everything working when I was using the old 5.4 free version of HRD with my 6500. I have been using HRD for years so I am fairly familiar with the HRD setup. So I decided that it was time to update to the new paid version 6.3. to take advantage of some of the new features. But for some reason I can not seem to get everything to work together?

When I installed the new version of HRD 6.3 In the radio selection drop down list I selected (SmartSDR) then selected COM 4 for HRD and click connect and RigControl opens up shows the correct frequency and that’s it, it’s dead? Rig Control stays open but nothing works, No communication with radio? And If I select PowerSDR from the list in the new version same thing...Dead?

But... In the new version of HRD 6.3 there is a new option that says “SDR-RADIO” when I select that one it seems to get thing working. Rig Control now communicates with radio? So what radio should I select?

Now DM780... This is where I am having some trouble. The first thing I note is DM780 & RigControl are running sluggish and unresponsive.

I can get audio In & and out of DM780 OK but the PTT is where there seems be a problem. I created a dedicated (PTT) Port in SmartCAT as prescribed. And tried to get the PTT working but when I key the radio using a com port in CW Mode for example when I send code it will key the 6500 strangely. It will send characters in bursts then stop then start again and over and over again as if there is some kind of buffering issue?

I contacted HRD and the gentlemen I spoke with told me they don't have a Flex 6000 radio to test with HRD. It does not seem anyone there is all that familiar with the new 6000 Series/SmartSDR.

Soooo.... Is anyone using the latest version of HRD 6.3 and how do you have HRD & DM780 configured.

I'm running 6500, SmartSDR 1.8.4, WIN10 64bit, I7 Extreme, 32GB RAM, SSD HD's.

• GM4WCE
    GM4WCE Member
    edited August 2016
    I have HRD 6.3 and it works OK with HRD logbook and DM780.  I used the tutorial from DH2ID which is at:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/setting-up-ham-radio-deluxe-with-smartsdr-tutorial

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've been using HRD V6.x since it was introduced with no problems.  You realize you don't have to use Rig Control, it's unnecessary and is a resource hog.  DDUtil will handle the interfacing with HRD Rotator, DM780, and HRD Logbook.  Just tick the HRD V6.2 button in DDUtil and start it before you open the HRD apps.  I don't use DM780 for CW, just for the digital modes, but it works fine with a PTT set up on COM5, but I notice in the release notes for the latest HRD build, (6.3.0.563) that it's supposed to fix something CW related for Flex in Rig Control so if you feel you absolutely have to run that, make sure you have the release that came out this week.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes running HRD build, (6.3.0.563).
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2016

instead of running the HRD main program to talk to Flex you can use DDUtil or the latest version of Mini Deluxe. Then only run HRD Logbook, DM780, rotor, etc.The main HRD program will run sluggish as others have stated.

There is a nice writeup for Mini Deluxe available here https://github.com/krisp/MiniDeluxe/wiki

Shut down HRD and all it's apps.

You will need to create two ports in SmartSDR CAT, a COM port and PTT port. I've created COM9 for CAT to Mini Deluxe and COM10 for PTT to be used by DM780. COM9 will follow slice A frequency.

Next download Mini Deluxe from the link above and run it. You can put a shortcut to it in your startup so it starts automatically with Windows. In the tool tray right click the Mini Deluxe icon (see picture) and select options. Select the CAT com port you created in SmartSDR CAT. Check the box for SmartSDR.

Now you should be able to run HRD Logbook and DM780 without starting HRD main program. They should connect to the radio correctly and show the frequency.

Last, DM780 PTT using CAT commands is a little slow in T/R turnaround time so I use com port PTT keying. Go into DM780 program options and select PTT. Select via PTT com port and select the PTT port you created in SmartSDR CAT. Check Set RTS and Set DTR.

You should be good to go.

Dave wo2x

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Dave for the info.
    Now that I have a 6500 I don’t need RigControl anymore and since I don’t have any special Amps or Rotors I decided to go with Mini Deluxe.

I got it working with DM780 but I think I may have found a bug in HRD. It has to do with (CW KY Cmd) Mode. When I use this mode it locks up DM780 until I restart DM780?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2016
    I don't use that mode in DM780 but will test. See if there is something to change in settings.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I would like to use this mode (CW KY Cmd) This will allow me to put the flex in CW mode and use DM780 for CW QSO with my keyboard. Basically this mode allows you operate the Flex’s CW the same manner as plugging a key into the radio. This allows you to still have control over Sidetone pitch, Level, Speed & delay from the Flex’s P/CW control panel. I was able to get this to work with the old version 5.2 of HRD.

I know I can use MCW mode but then I have to put the flex in SSB and then it moves the CW signal way off center and makes it a real pain in the but to use. Also with CW KY Cmd mode you also get full QSK Break in operation.

I think there must be a problem with the CW KY Cmd mode in the latest version of HRD because it locks up DM780?

Also take a look at the setting in the (Modes-ID's) tab that is specific to CW Modes. There is an additional option for keying the Flex.

John
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2016
    Not sure what it would take to get going but Flex SmartSDR CAT supports creating a WinKeyer port. Maybe use CW Winkey? Again I do not use DM780 for CW so I do not know what the settings should be.
  • Jerry Wilk
    Jerry Wilk Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    HRD interface with SmartSDR Winkeyer emulator is problematic at best.  I found using the Winkeyer USB hardware between my Flex 6300 and HRD (latest version) in CW Winkey mode works perfectly.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am going to try to get the Winkeyer mode to work, like David said SSDR and HRD support this mode and because all of the data connections are through SmartCAT com’s "should" work great!

If i can not get that to work I will go with the Hardware option.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2016

Well they both support WinKeyer but HRD supports WinKeyer 2 and Flex supports WinKeyer 3.

I've never tried it, post your results so others can benefit.

Dave wo2x

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    GOOD NEWS!!!

OK so in the end I decided to use MiniDeluxe because the current version of RigControl is sluggish and buggy and also why do I need another radio interface when SmartSDR does it all. I just want to use the other HRD programs anyway.

So now I have created a Winkeyer port in SmartCAT and assigned to CWWinkey mode in DM780 and WOW it works great! Full break in and unbelievably fast the 6500 keying circuit is amazing. Holy Cow man the Flex is fast!

So just what I was looking for a fully software based keyer. I was just going to go with a USB to Keying adapter and plug into the key jack on the front but who need more wires in there shack. :) Besides it leaves the key port on the front free for my key or paddle.

Thank you everyone for the help

John

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.