Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Third-Party Software List

2»

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Correction:

Sorta!

I said SDRgadgets has been around for 2 years, The Community post I linked above was created 1 year ago according to Get Satisfactions record keeping. That thread came first. It feels like it took a lot longer than 1 year. 

But that may be because "I" have to keep it running. I also have to pay for the annual domain renewals in April each year, it's been renewed twice so this is the still just the 3rd year. I don't really understand Get Satisfactions record keeping. Which is OK, I'm not paying the bill! image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Rick, K7FYI
    Rick, K7FYI Member
    edited August 2016
    I saw this thread and as a pretty new Flex owner, I was excited to check out apps I might like but know nothing about.  I perused the main page, but couldn't get the social login to work (tried the 3 that I use) - each one produced an error.

Went to check out the Wiki, but couldn't enter - "Login Required".  I've filled out a user registration and am waiting for approval :).
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ima heading over there now Jay. And plan on generating some content. Because someone has to!  As a webmaster, I can commiserate with ya.
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I think the idea of such an area, whether it be part of this community or independent is a good idea.

I have looked at Jay's SDRGadgets and like others, feel that it isn't quite what is needed. 

I also feel that this community is somewhat hampered by the software used to run it. To my mind, purpose built bulletin board software would be much better. My reasons for this feeling is that this board has a completely dis-organised feel to it.

I would far prefer to have a community that is organised into sections that are a) obvious and b)easily accessible.

At the moment, unless you start applying filters (which, in my opinion is not easy to do) I have to wade through all sorts of posts to find something that interests my or has relevance to a problem I am having.

There is a wealth of experience here and I find it difficult to understand why the community is organised this way. I am sure that FRS had it's reasons in the early days but I feel that the time has come to change.

To that end I am prepared to set up a domain and host it on my webserver and install something like phpBB and do the initial work of setting up some categories. I don't want any money towards the cost unless you feel it is worth chipping in a few bucks. 

However, there is a caveat.

I am near as **** 70 years old and am going through quite a black patch in my life as I have cancer and I am on chemotherapy whicj knocks me a bout a bit. I also have a worn out knee (waiting to see a surgeon with, hopefully a view to a replacement joint). So I would need some help with running the site.

All good boards have moderators and there are several people in this community who I am sure would be very good in this role if they feel able to offer help.

So people, what do you think?

My email address on QRX - look up F4VQP or G7GFW - is correct and I am happy to hear from anyone, positive or negative.

Suggestions for a domain name - assuming that people think this is a GOOD IDEA, would also be appreciated.

By the way, I am NOT trying to usurp this community, merely voicing an idea for something that could easily run side by side with this board.

Tim
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Moderation is always such a gamble. In one usenet group that I am part of a moderation team, we had a fellow who no matter how many times we told him, he would block any posts that he disagreed with, and another who would block posts he considered technically incorrect.

I had some postings blocked because someone considered a few to be a liability issue. I had posted my method of laying radial trenches using a chainsaw. Along with a caveat that it was dangerous - although I have yet to see a "safe method". A friend of mine who is a bit acerbic, but with a wonderful sense of humor was blocked once for making a joke.

The results? It's a very clean group now with almost no activity. After a few posts get rejected, the poster goes way, along with all of the useful info they might have had.

I suppose there is some irony that I do moderation in several groups at the same time, and am concerned about it's effects Then again, aside from the one group that was effectively killed by moderation, my other groups are pretty active.  We have to strike a balance between folks who want no disagreement, and those who want no holds barred. As it turns out - that is no easy task.

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Michael
    Thanks
    Any help will be well appreciated.

ALL:

I'm always connected to #SDRgadgets and #Flexradio on Freenode.
    However, my IRC client is usually minimized to the taskbar tray.
    I've been seeing quite a few joins in both channels recently, but they're mostly drive-bys.  Lurking may be required. In order for discussions to get started.

I'll do my best to keep the channels visible, Maybe we can hook up.
    When the channels are active they get much more of my attention.

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim
    phpBB is already installed and ready on the website. The link to it, is hidden from non-registered users right now. It's been completely useless since I'm the only registered user on the bulletin board. I've planned to use it for SDRgadgets internal discussions
    I don't want to be moderating Flexradio User discussions. That's what the Community is for. We already have that. I don't want to replicate, I only want to augment. Anyone wanting to volunteer as a moderator, needs to setup their own bulletin board. I'm not going to moderate SDRgadgets members. I'm also not going to host and make public any content that's not "neutral", No Fanboys, No Haters. There are many other available online sites for that. I'm not interested in Popular, I'm only interested in useful, and accurate.

It was intended to be a user maintained wiki, wrapped inside a CMS system used to coordinate the wiki's creation, and maintenance. As with many other wiki's it will be peer reviewed. Anyone finding it at fault, is intended to be free to correct the faults. The only additional control I intend to claim, is the right to switch off the server. RCS and full  hourly backups will attempt to control the rest.

It may turn out to be unpopular.
    But for now it exists.
    It's fate, is controlled by its users.

Use It!  

Sorry, them's the rules.image

SDRgadgets, is independently maintained and not officially affiliated with FlexRadio Systems or its employees.  The content and information provided is that of the respective author(s) and contributors."

And is probably best discussed on IRC, or on it's internal bulletin board.

73, Jay - NO5J 

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Other than the rules above.

Sdrgagdgets belongs to ALL of the Flexradio Community users. If you have ideas for how to improve it. Great!, get busy! It's your website, make it do what you want it to do.

Just ask for the key's, You too, can drive!image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Michael
    Forums would require moderation, and in order to be a useful part of the concept, would need to be.

Moderated by the all of the SDRgadgets members.

Group Moderation sounds possible, at first thought, why isn't anyone doing that?

A wiki allows every contributor to edit it's contents, and uses a revision control system so that edits can be "unedited".

A wiki is all about documentation.

This Community is a Forum, Flexradio is the moderator. They do a pretty good job of not over-moderating. (poor Tim)

The concept of SDRgadgets on first look, seems doomed to fail.

I get that.

When it fails it will be our fault.

If we want it to succeed, we will all have to contribute to making it succeed.

If you don't want it to succeed, Fine! sit back and watch it fail.

But be sure to blame yourself too.  

I see many posts here in the Community, from users trying to instruct Flexradio on the proper way to run a company.

I'm interested in giving those users, something to run.

If SDRgadgets ain't it, Why? didn't any of these folks contribute.

You want it, and it will run on a linux server, You just might get it. If your willing to work to make it happen.

Let Flexradio run, Flexradio!

Let their customers run, SDRgadgets.

Let them all get along!

Do unto others! Just take responsibility for the consequences!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Michael 
    Your post to my wiki talk page, seems to have been accepted.
    So your main site login must be good to go.
    Your wiki post indicates an anonymous users post.
    I was unaware this was possible.
    My bad!
    I haven't seen you on IRC but I have sent you a couple emails.
    Direct IRC contact is faster if you can manage it.

https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=SDRgadgets

All, Please excuse the spamming.image
    It will halt soon enough!image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ok I'd like to move any further discussion on this topic to ...
    https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=SDRgadgets
    or to direct email at (I'm good on QRZ)
    There is a problem with wiki account creation, I will need someones help to fix it.
    Anyone willing, can contact me by either method

Apologies, Tim 
    Apologies, Flexradio Systems
    Apologies, Community

When the problems solved I'll start a new thread about it and link in, this thread.
    Lock this thread down, if you need to Timimage

73, Jay - NO5J 
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    All

On second thought, I'm going to reuse this thread, instead of creating a new one.

Over the weekend I was able to remove the broken account registration code. 
    The Social Login/SSO (single sign on) plugin we had been using was the culprit.
    So I blew away that plugin. cleaned up all the existing PHP code by reverting it back to the Original/Default code. and located a new SSO plugin for use.

Basically, it should now be working like it used to, before the breakage was discovered.

That's the theory at least.

Still no way to test the signups without actual signups.

The signup procedure is now ...

Create an account from the Main SDRgadgets webpage.
    Callsigns make nice UserNames, or use some variation on your legal name.
    The webpage will perform an email address verification.
    Once the Verification succeeds I'll be notified about a new account that requires my activation.
    I'll activate it, if it doesn't self-activate, most of them do.
    You should then be able to login to the main webpage with your chosen UserName and password, successfully.
    Once you've logged in you can click on the SDRgadgets Wiki link on the User Menu.
    The new plugin should Auto-Magically create a new WikiUser account and log you in.
    One login, 2 websites, and hopefully no Spambots.
    To login to the wiki, just login to the main website instead. then browse to the wiki. 

Hope to see you all testing it soon!!!image

Try the aforementioned IRC channel if you require any custom hand holding while getting started.

In the future Lets keep all postings and discussions about SDRgadgets, self-restricted to the Community's Third Party Applications and Products Category, if possible.

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.