Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

power button fell off 6300, Flex cutting corners

Comments

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    2MOLDT if that's you.

I'm here to help. I'll pay for shipping to take that non-premium radio off your hands I figure for as upset as you are, that would be a big help to you, and no need to thank me, it's the least I can do.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    About a button
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You probably never saw Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In show. At the end, over the closing credits, as I recall, the cast would be behind this psychedelic wall with sliding or pivoting opaque  'windows' they would open, say something silly, then shut. So for every conversation/thread that you engage in, every viewer sees yet another picture of you taking a picture of yourself. That's where I pulled it from.  Geese, good humour is way less funny when it has to be explained.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Rob, Tim says the button should snap into place, and it could take some pushing to make it snap in. He said not to be afraid to push hard. Just make sure it is alined properly.

What strikes me as being funny is your out rage and anger. I understand your feelings about disappointment, but to bash Flex as a company? that seems strange. Anyone knows how outstanding an organization they are.

I don't think you are a troll but your comments are much what you would see from one, a little over the top.  Oh I checked on the web, Can't buy those switches for 99 cents.

So, as you feel your radio is nothing but junk? Just sell it and move on, you will not lose much if anything, they are in great demand.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Have you submitted a help ticket? That's the best way to get the thing fixed. Venting in here is not. 

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    yeah that would be overpriced.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    if i want to vent, then i will vent.. i don't see any no venting signs,,
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited July 2016

I will only say if you think the Flex is a poorly constructed radio then DO NOT buy an Anan. I had their top of the line 200D and it is nowhere near the build quality of my 6700. The Anan painted covers lead to poor ground connection on the rear connectors. The radio runs hot. It has very poor linearity in the tx filter/PA assemblies. Had to have my first one swapped since it wouldn't come close to 100 watts on 12 meters. Power calibration on Anan is a joke. You calibrate it at one level and it is NOT linear from 0 to 100 watts.

Good luck with whatever direction you go. I am very happy with my Flex as it offers me features with hardware and software integration that the YaeKenCom's  cannot come close to.

Dave wo2x

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    An observation: If folks just realized, which I did, that something minor, in one's own mind might not be minor to someone else, esp in the "itch that can't be scratched" analogy, a little empathy would defuse the situation. Calling someone a cry baby or troll or other denigrating remarks just
    worsens the situation locally,
    increases the odds someone will go to another site and unload on Flex (not for what Flex did but what their surrogates did).
    scare away potential buyers
    reflect poorly on this forum

That, btw, was a great suggestion, within 30 days, unhappy with the radio, return for a full refund - assuming one can in UK.

Throwing salt on an open wound never makes it feel better.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    thanks for the heads up
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member
    edited July 2016
    Finally  a voice of reason. Well said!
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Paul, agreed.  What I meant was, while many legitimate posters don't use a call sign, almost all trolls don't use one, either because they don't have one or don't want people to know who they are.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Okay, after all this, is everyone ready for a good laugh?  There is only one freakin' button on the Flex 6300.  Count 'em.  One.  And when you push it, it comes flying off. 

Maybe they should have used a toggle switch.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hmmm,
    Not really,  There is the OK button and the surrounding four arrow buttons giving a total of six buttons. :)
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Rob - you make a good point.  Components shouldn't be falling off any radio.  After nearly 50 years in this hobby I can't remember a knob or button falling off any radio I've owned (and I've owned a lot of equipment).  No such problem with my Flex but it might behoove FRS to be concerned that their chosen switch vendor could have a bit of a QA problem and something in the switch assembly process could be done to keep this from happening.  Then again, based on the limited number of owners experiencing this issue it seems to be a rare occurrence.  Plus, as your noted reference stated, FRS is obviously willing to resolve the issue. 

In my experience, the support team at FRS is second to none, which is one of the main reasons I continue to support this company.  (Unfortunately your location may slow down the repair process.)

I'll be the first to admit Flex rig's have their quirks and in some ways these radios are a work-in-progress, but obviously many owners (including myself) feel their many benefits outweigh their quirks.  I feel that over time the quirks will eventually disappear (with future software releases), and new features added.  I certainly can't say that for the other brands of equipment I have in my shack.

As for this forum "full disclosure" stuff (call sign).  I keep seeing this issue pop up.  I can't think of any good reason why this should be necessary.  And labeling certain forum members a Troll because they have a Flex complaint.  Basically kicking a forum member to the curb because you don't agree with the mainstream?  Come on people, let's stop this.      

My advice is just step back from the situation for a day or two.  That will allow you to make rational  decision what's your best course of action.   And nothing wrong with moving to a different brand of equipment, if that suits you best. 

KF4HR

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Lord knows . . . Oh No the Mercedes got a flat . . . I just bought it . . . Are they cutting corners with cheap tires.
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2016
    No, bad example, that would be plain unlucky. Does Rob need to consider himself really lucky if his button stays put?

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    It was a joke
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    lol, i like your wacky sense of humour , :)
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Not on the 6300.  Just the one, for those of us who couldn't afford the rest.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    yeah maybe, but even if i could afford it, not sure i need more than 2 slices, XLR would be nice tho.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    A better example would be, my year-old Jeep Cherokee just had to have the transmission replaced,   What in the world is wrong with FCA?  That's a true story, by the way, and I'm still driving and loving the Cherokee.  I had the same thing happen with a Buick in about 1980, but I still continued to drive GM cars for years before I switched to Jeeps.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rob, that is the one thing I wish they did too. 2 slices is fine for many, but SLR would be have been nice.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    really? 

I've owned a TS790 - power switch failed, FT847 power switch failed, FT817 buttons failed multiple times, TS590 volume **** fell apart  and they are the ones I remember!

and I am pretty gentle on my gear!

Stuff fails , even in my brand new truck....

Drop the helpdesk a ticket and it will get fixed.

But stuff does fail/fall off/ break - I had stuff fail on radios from Icom Yaesu and Kenwood - so it happens to all of em :)

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Rob

The next time I am in the UK (Late August or early Oct) perhaps I can buy you a **** to make  your feel better.  I am always looking for drinking buddies in different countries...

I can understand how frustrating it can be that a new toy does not work as advertised or even more important how I expected it to work so soon after I bought it...   I am usually pretty gentle my toys so they rarely break when I play with them but my XYL will break almost everything she touches and then bat her eyes at me saying "They must have made it wrong or used cheap parts".... my solution is to have another adult beverage rather than getting upset about it...  (I won't tell you what she just did to my new Tesla)

Flex will obviously fix it for you if you put in a help ticket or if you are totally frustrated with the Flex SDR experience which is definitely not for everyone, I suggest that you talk to Flex about returning it for a full refund.. 

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    My brand new Mercedes 300SD (yeah, it's been a few years...) just several days old, sprung a fuel leak and flooded the top of the engine with diesel fuel. But the dealer sent out a service mechanic immediately that Saturday to my parking lot and fixed it. Good service made the difference, and I bought 2 more new MBZ over the years.

Oh yes, that 1983 Mercedes is still running just fine after the little shakedown, and is still in the family, 3rd generation. I expect my FLEX will be around quite a while also...
  • Ben - AE4NT
    Ben - AE4NT Member
    edited July 2016
    YEAH! Sending it back to Flex would mean spending time away from the radio you hate. Best to have it right there where you can see it.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    I wouldn't count  on it..
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Rob, it is very easy to get a help desk ticket to get it fixed.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.