Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 or Smart SDR freeze

Mike
Mike Member ✭✭
I have a 6500 and I am running the current version of Smart SDR and software in the radio. The past couple of days I have noticed that after a period of time the radio freezes up. Today while working 6m I heard a buzzy tone through the head phones and discovered the radio had locked up. Powering off and re-powering solved the problem but this is unacceptable and never occurred in the previous version of hardware/firmware that was installed. Someone said this is a known problem with the new software. Is this correct? If so when is the solution going to be rolled out? Turning the radio on and off during a contest is not going to work for me.

Comments

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

Don't know who told you this is a "known problem with the new software" as the new software isn't really that new.  It may have been seen before, but it isn't inherent in the software or hardware.  I've definitely not seen it, but I also have only had my 6500 for a month or so now.  

That being said, I can see how that could be annoying.  How are you connected to the rig? Direct network connection?  A switch? Wireless to a router which is connected to the rig?  A hiccup in a wireless connection or through a switch may cause your issue.

A bit more info would be useful in troubleshooting, but again, I don't think it is inherent in the software (as your "this is a known problem" implies).  

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also was experiencing freeze ups with the latest version of SmartSDR on a F6500.  I  did solve the problem by deinstalling SmartSDR completely after saving the Profiles.  Only thing I did not erase was the master Profile file.  Did the re-install.  SmartSDR ran for 10 connectives days without a freeze or any other faults.  As with most PCs and the Windows OS.  Updating SW sometimes leaves artifacts behind that can cause problems.  So sometimes the prudent thing to do is delete the SW and re-install.  Never had to do that on my MAC computers.  I have been using Macs and PCs since the 80's equally and find the Unix based SW to be the best.  I don't use Linux as I feel the GUI is not as good as OS X.  Any way just my 2 cents.  
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Mike,

Just to be sure, was it the radio or the computer that froze up??

This weekend I took the 6500, laptop and Maestro to Field Day for a demo, which went well. However the laptop got hot (it's Florida) and froze. At first I thought it was the radio. But I fired up the Maestro and connected fine, without booting the radio. It was just the laptop, that was getting hot and freezing up!  The radio never froze, and it was miserably hot out there!

W8XG Brent

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Mike - this is a known issue with SmartSDR v1.7.x which has been addressed with the next release of SmartSDR for Windows (1.8)
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    The radio is connected directly to my desk top. No switches, wifi or anything else. I can try a delete and reinstall of Smart SDR. The computer worked fine but the radio/Smart SDR was froze. Not sure what the buzzy tone was but that was a signal when the radio froze. I have an i7 4790k with 8Gb and a graphics card with 2Gb on it so the computer should not be the problem. Never has in the past in any event. I've been using the flex since last Nov.
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    and there is my answer....do you know when 1.8 will be released?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Soon

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.