Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Android App

191011121315»

Comments

• Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Standardize on one high performance yet price constrained tablet  https://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet/k1 
    It's running 6.0.1
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    First try was on phone Samsung S6 (V6.0.1). I try Samsung Tablet (V4.xx) and it work well. Thanks
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ensemble8 will not work on my LG G4 with Android 6
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Huh? Well,that too is a phone, right? Just for grins, place the phone in landscape mode. One thing about doing native android apps is the configuration for display mode p/L, hi res etc. One can define it such that there isn't a portrait mode. That is a guess VB on my part, my phone is iOS.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    So this shows how things work on Android and why folks don't develop for it.  Here's the financial side of the coin:  Few developers post their revenue, downloads, etc but the guys who wrote Monument Valley did:  Monument Valley by the Numbers  Note that iOS is only 43% of the downloads and 73% of the revenue.  Other developers, although not posting to this detail, have confirmed this with other applications.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    So this shows how things work on Android and why folks don't develop for it.  Here's the financial side of the coin:  Few developers post their revenue, downloads, etc but the guys who wrote Monument Valley did:  Monument Valley by the Numbers  Note that iOS is only 43% of the downloads and 73% of the revenue.  Other developers, although not posting to this detail, have confirmed this with other applications.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So, Android is like Windows in the respect that it has to work across multiple hardware platforms and different vendors' configurations of the OS, whereas iOS is works singularly across all Apple hardware platforms that it is designed for (not a surprise there!).  The one thing I have found, however, after owning both Android and iOS (Apple) devices is that apps written for iOS tend to force you to be running a fairly recent version of iOS, whereas Android is much more forgiving about allowing apps to run on much older versions of Android.  This seems a little odd, but perhaps once a developer gets an app running on Android, and allows for the "dogs breakfast" (as Howard puts it) it is more forgiving of differences among OSes.  Just an interesting observation.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Apps written for either IOS or Android, and yes, I have written apps for Android, are dependent on what device you want to run them on. Earlier, after Stu released his first Flex related app written in Objective-C, I tried to find it to load on my iPhone. Nowhere to be found. In talking with Stu, no it won't run on iPhone. Still IOS, but the device does matter. So in the case of Ensemble8, it doesn't appear to run on phones. That is the ONLY conclusion that can be drawn from above. Again, it's way easier to noodle why when you've actually written apps for either and understand the part of telling the OS what the device geometry is. I know ex-coworkers who now make their living writing apps for Android. BTW, I suspect an app for Android TV would not run on a tablet, much less a phone. Hopefully, that doesn't come as a surprise to anyone. This notion of "dogs breakfast' from someone with no experience writing for the platform, either for very early Android releases or the beta for Android N, due to GA this fall is questionable. No one on here seems to question why SSDR for Win doesn't run on .NET3.5. It doesn't. Does that mean SSDR is broken or .NET is a dog's breakfast? Of course not. Nor did that mean FRS shouldn't have ever released for .NET because SSDR does not work on ALL .NETs still out there. It's the same thing for Android or IOS.

Another little truth tidbit. The Android Studio IDE allows for multiple, a virtual myriad of virtual devices so an app under development can be tested by the developer. For instance, when I first started, I bought the Nexus 9. Before it arrived I used the Android Studio virtual Nexus 9 to test with, ditto for Samsung devices and Nexus 7 which was a completely different form factor than the Nexus 9.

Now, nothing in what I am saying is, nor should be taken as, resurrecting a discussion I started on here, likely two years ago which was continued in an email discussion with Steve, in excess of a year ago. Further, from my perspective, I am not trying to relitigate decisions FRS management made on what platform they were going to develop on when they were sizing how to design for SSDR. That was then, this is now. Just as .NET 4 is different than .NET 1.0, Android N is different than Android A. Then, now. The reality of it is, FRS made a decision. DONE! As far as Ensemble8 is concerned, the very same "dll" that was modified to run on Android also runs on Windows and Linux...the source code IS identical. But, is anybody actually advocating FRS start from scratch all over again? I'm not.

Just because I know someone who works for NASA does not mean I know how to design spacecrafts. Nor does it mean someone I used to work with that used to work for NASA knows what the current technology NASA is using or developing is and how transportable it is to a commercial market.

CA Technologies, an ex employer, has products that run on Android, as does Monster.com, another ex employer. Just because an app exists for Android does not mean it's necessarily available to the general public. Nor does it mean the app doesn't work. That would reflect badly on a corporate entity paying dividends to stock holders based upon their corporate customers believing they have a handle on technology.

I thought it was concluded this was an all Flex all the time, no space for discussions on Elecraft or ICOM radios or technology? Why are we talking about Android, a platform SSDR will never exist on?

Ensemble, runs in a browser as well.

Also, FWIW, I've tried to load Android apps on my tablet and gotten a message that the app was written for an Android phone and wouldn't be installed. I neither wrote nor published Ensemble8 so the fact the author didn't or didn't properly specify what devices it would/wouldn't run on is not a flaw in Android, any more than it is a flaw in .NET that SSDR won't run on .NET 3.x or 2.x etc. Nor is it damning that SSDR won't run on Windows XP. I think it's pretty cool one specifies, when describing the app to the IDE they can say it will work on Android K devices. My son-in-law's Android device maker never updated the device's version of Android so any newer app he downloads have to be configured at build time to support the old version of Android on his Samsung device. Again, from my perspective this is an academic discussion I entered due to a completely erroneous comment made by a fellow community member.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    In both cases the developer get 70% of the purchase price with 30% going to handle the transaction and currency issues..This according to Apple as well as Google.
  • Giulio
    Giulio Member
    edited July 2016
    Dear William,
    where can I download the app for my OnePlus 2 Android?
    Thanks for infos and for your awesome work!
    Giulio IZ3EAW
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guilio, you can download a preview above. William never did develop
    further, as he had problems with the audio stream.
    If you want to control a FlexRadio via a SmartPhone, you have to
    buy an iPhone and the corresponding app for IOS. 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Buying an iPad for many me included is buying an appliance for one task only. Android apps don't always fit every device and the Google playstore informs you if a particular device is incompatible with the device. The android plus side is some very nice hardware is available many carrying oled display technology, memory card, impressive USB support and Linux style file directory management so surely an app compliant for a range of the most popular devices is in order. Possibly some pre-order stand up and be counted would get the show on the road ?
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited June 2017
    It's a roughly $50k investment to build this kind of app plus the ongoing support.  Our read is that there is insufficient demand to support the investment at this time (poor ROI).  Instead of us doing it, we continually offer assistance to those that have an interest and the time to do it.  Someone with good skills in this area could turn this into a nice side business or as an addition to a burgeoning app business.  This is the exact methodology that generated the iPhone/iPad app.
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yup .... I can see that side too luckily windows Tabs have now shrunk significantly in size to the ipad size so I have no need to go and buy an ipad for that task alone. For some that have left the restrictive iOS platform its not a popular move to buy another ipad . Lets keep the enthusiasm and discussion going without starting an android war.  All that windows bashing by linux enthusiats was an era best left behind as well. Anyway I'm first for a preorder LoL
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    There is a lot of us indeed that yearn for an Android solution with mouth watering Amoled tabs and phablets that very sleek.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I have a Android 8.0 verion phone will it ever work? Or so I need to switch to IPhone

Jim

WU5E

• James Whiteway
    edited May 2018
    Only if someone writes an Android app. None as of yet that I know of.
  • Andrea Vernice
    Andrea Vernice Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    hi william 

can i get last releass of the app for the behringer cmd micro. all links on the community are not working. it will work with win 10?
    and in remote?

also the android app , is no avaible in goole store? where can be downloaded?
    it works only on tablet? i have adroid phone that has quite big display as small tables.

thanks for all replyes

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I have been wanting and looking for it also but none of the links work anymore.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.