Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I think you deserve an apology

Gerald-K5SDR
Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Dear customers,

About a month ago I responded to a FlexRadio Community post titled “SSDR Roadmapless Future Development.”  I would like to sincerely apologize for the terse tone of my response to criticism of FlexRadio regarding how we prioritize requests for specific graphical user interface (GUI) feature enhancements relative to other enhancements.  I also used the term “eye candy” to characterize those requests, which was insensitive to the requests of our valued customers.  I would like to ask for forgiveness from anyone offended by my post.  

We genuinely appreciate all constructive feedback that will help FlexRadio improve our products and services.  We also agree that GUI enhancements, which benefit a broad customer base should be considered on par with all other valid requests.  My response to the referenced post clearly gave the wrong impression in this regard.  

We have a formal process for assimilating, sizing, prioritizing, and assigning software development tasks.  Each week the customer service and development teams along with representatives from the management team review and disposition every incoming issue from the prior week.  If the an item does not fit within the current cycle or is not of a critical nature, it is assigned to the global backlog to be reviewed in conjunction with planning for subsequent releases.  GUI enhancement requests are considered right alongside all other feature requests based on merit, consistency with our core design philosophy, prioritization within our overall business objectives, and broad customer applicability.  

While I cannot promise when or if ever a specific feature request of any type might be incorporated into SmartSDR, I can say that we will diligently review and consider each request. We appreciate the support of all our customers and desire that you truly enjoy our products.

Sincerely,

Gerald

Answers

• Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Well, I certainly wasn't offended in the least.

We know you have a process in place, and it works.

And I'm still looking forward to the OK from my CFO (aka, my wife) to get the go ahead on a new 6000 to replace my 5000!

We appreciate all you do, Gerald.

73, Jim
  • Ron Morgan
    Ron Morgan Member
    edited May 2016
    Offended? I just upgraded my Flex and with every software release I have a new radio. Kudos to your team.
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    No worries, You guys have a process and i'm sure you have to make tough choices sometimes on what gets implemented depending on who has had issues. This is why it is so important for us to create help desk tickets when needed (Go to the community first to see if you are not doing something right). But when everyone is pushing about "their issue" im sure it wears on you guys a bit.

I for one am in part a flex owner because of this community and how active FRS is on it. The level of communication we are able to take advantage of is truly wonderful.
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Gerald, I regarded your post as being a little humorous so did not take the slightest offence at it. Therefore no apology is necessary.

Brian VK7RR
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Gerald,

I wasn't offended, maybe a little disappointed...but not offended. All I hope is that those of us who enjoy our radios everyday while DXing, chewing the **** with friends or just scanning the bands, still get a little love from the development team. 

If you are looking for ideas on how to maximize the wow factor of SSDR, just look at the work Darin is doing with PSDR.

Thanks for your comments.

Jon...kf2e
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I read the piece Gerald & taking offense didn't even cross my mind. It just sounded like necessary business. Just got the Maestro an hour ago. It was up & running on WiFi by my easy chair within ten minutes of arrival. Thanks to you & your team! See you in ten days if I can **** the mob that's likely at your booth in Dayton. 73
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Gerald,

I do admit to taking a sharp intake of breath and doing a double-take at the post that you mentioned. I could not say any more nor anything better than Al's post above.

Regards

Guy
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Morning Gerald, and the Flex Team

Myself, I really enjoy reading all of the comments every morning, which your customers are sending in.  Its also very appreciated that your Team of experts read all of these comments and answer them back when needed, and in a timely manner.

My comment applies to the Beta Testing Team as well.

Cheers

Kevin, Va3KGS

• Paul  KB3ML
    Paul KB3ML Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hello Gerald,

Please no apology.

When you started with the 6k series you needed to start with a clean sheet of paper, both for hardware and software.
    True Smart SDR may not be as mature as Power SDR but we can only look for exciting things to come.
    The 6k series is the best thing in amateur radio for years,  so we all benefit.

The amateur radio community owes you a Thank-You !

73,  Paul
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Gerald is apologising for a particular post and not his design philosophy. When an individual feels the need to apologise for something, it is because they have found a need to and that is to be applauded. That others do not see any need means they have missed the reason and point for doing so.

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm still very happy with my 6500 after about 18 months.  There have been a lot of improvements over that time. Just this morning I was able to get rid of about 5 to 6 db of noise (local) on 40 meters with WNB (WNB wasn't there when I purchased the radio). Made the difference in hearing net control and not.  I'm just along for the ride I've had a new radio about every 3 to 4 months... How many hams can say that. My TS-480 (mobile) is still the same radio it was when I got it in 2005.  Not that it's not been a good radio but sure could use a pan-adapter and waterfall. :)

Thanks 
    Dan

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Have you actually read Gerald's post? He has made a most honourable apology for something that he felt the need to. Anybody who does that needs to be applauded even by those who do not see the need for it.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think you have missed the point Guy
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I look at my Flex radio purchases (including my new Maestro) in awe and wonder how in the heck do they figure all this out! My job is easy. Work hard and buy radio gear that gives me enjoyment. It's because of you that I have been able to truly focus on a hobby after work and enjoy myself. You stepped up to the plate...can't ask for more than that!
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thank you for the apology Gerald.

I can't imagine how tough it is to not jump at some comments which only seem to want to attack FRS, with or without merit. If someone attacks my work I get defensive right away.... but as time passes by and I mature as a person I understand there is no gain from attacking back. Ultimately, your customers and your product will dictate the success of your company. And being able to realize your mistake and correct it publicly is what sets this company and yourself apart.

I like the concept of the Maestro, it is a cool addition to my radio shack and I bought it. But it is SmartSDR what hooked me. It is SmartSDR what I truly enjoy and it is improvements in SmartSDR that have the biggest impact.

Good luck with the Maestro launch and keep on adding things to SmartSDR... we love to get the new features!!!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, Gerald.
    I interpreted your unfortunate use of the term "eye candy" not as meaning that those issues were unimportant, but that you were focused at the moment at adding major functionality (via Maestro, et. al.) and that the multitude of GUI enhancements and other refinements would be considered in later software releases.  

Indeed such enhancements, which may be seen as merely "eye candy" to some, but critical operation roadblocks to others, are not unimportant.  But they ARE less crucial than major functions that are/were being developed.  

Having considered the incredible stress you and your whole team have experienced in preparing the Maestro for release, and the constant second-guessing from so many arm-chair quarterbacks, it is not surprising that a terse word could have slipped out.  Frankly, I am surprised that a few more haven't.  If I were in your place I might need a two-hour delay on my send button!

Nevertheless, I thank you for your online mea culpa.  It shows class and reinforces your connection to your user base, which is the best in the business.  

Thanks for all the very hard work you and your team have done, and continue to do, to build, develop, and enhance the top equipment in the business.

Ken - NM9P
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Owning Signature series Flex 6500 #50 I can honestly say I have never regretted buying , even the log wait to get it delivered . What has amazed me is most of the issues I see posted never happened to my Flex. As you know we have talked many tines over the years and I have owned everything you have made and sold. As to future releases I do have some eye candy items myself but they can wait. The two biggest things I want are # 1 take the original flyer and be able to check off the items promised and I believe true use of the wan is a issue that needs to be released as advertised, the other is a true partnership with a thrift party to produce a software suite which will handle logging and digital communications with very little F lustration on the operator. Neve did I feel you were talking down to us and I feel the two items will come and just keep moving toward the light and all will be good. I am glad the Mistroe was released and now the group who held the flex was not contest ready will shut up and learn to play second place to a Flex!
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    "the other is a true partnership with a thrift party to produce a software suite which will handle logging and digital communications with very little F lustration on the operator".

There are many programs that do this already. I do not thing it necessary to re-invent the wheel. Personally, I use Log4OM (a brand new version is currently under development) FlDigi and WSJT-X. No problems at all, but my needs are simple.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I use Log4OM as well but I find it a resource hog.... if I keep Log4OM open more than 24hrs it creeps up in excess of 500MB of memory usage. I do hope this new version addresses this issue.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Salvador,

I'll pass that along to the developers if you do not mind as that issue does not seem to have been raised before. Is that okay?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That will be great!
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Done ;-).
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Point out to them that the Mem usage goes up and down for no apparent reason.

• Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Sir, it takes a really big man with deep seated maturity to admit to a lapse in professional or personal behavior. I went off on a trainee about a year ago and felt really bad afterwards and attempted to apologize. 

Huzzah!

Philip Neidlinger, PE
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Philip, been there and done that too. At least you seem to have read the original post before commenting unlike some others.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Memory usage does go up and down for very well known and predictable reasons, eg, it's being used so in advance of that it is acquired and it is no longer being used so it is being released. Sometimes it goes up and stays up as it is not dynamically used. It's usage peaks at a certain point and that's it. If it goes up and up and up and never stops, that's called a bug. In heap based systems, memory is not allocated directly from the OS that owns it as that is expensive. Rather, a set chunk is acquired from the OS and subdivided out of that and only if that chunk is fully utilized does the program alocate another large chunk from the OS. For those that only want the best and acquire systems with 128GB, as they want 'the bigger Gee Bees' , 500MB is nothing. Even in 4GB or 8GB, 500MB is not outrageous.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.