Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recieve Filter Direct Value Entry, Is this possible?

KC2QMA_John
KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in New Ideas

I wanted to know if it is possible to enter the receive filter upper and lower values directly using the numeric keys on my keyboard.

In the radio panel and in the slice flag you can hover the mouse over the filter edges to change filter settings but when I want to get exact values it is very hard to do with the mouse.

If this is not possible, It would be cool if when you double click on the filter a pop up box opens allowing you to enter the values direct.

John

12 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    John,
      I don't think so... But it is possible to set the filers to exact number with a DDUtil macro..

AL, K0VM
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It's so frustrating that such simple things like this are not just built in to SSDR.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    John

One work around might be, saving your custom filter as a memory.
    I do that to get 0-4k filters for WSJTX.

The won't show up as selectable filters on the mode panels but they can be selected from SSDR's memory window whenever you want to use them. No 3rd party apps needed.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    A bit over complicated for changing filters on the fly.
    I hope simple features like this start show up in future version.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I agree!
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The easiest way would be to set up a user customizable filter bank either under
    settings or by right-clicking on the filters.
    Alex - DH2ID
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes right click is what it should be. Maybe when you right click on the filters it could have options like "Edit Filter:, Copy Filter, Save Filter"?
    So when you click "Edit Filter" you can manually enter the lower and upper filter values?

Just a thought.
    John,KC2QMA 

PLEASE CLICK "ME TOO" at the top of the post if you support this idea.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Is it possible?  Yes, as it is just a SMOP (simple matter of programming).

There is a filter widget for setting filter widths by doing a mouse over on the lubber (carrier) line at the bottom of the slice where it meets the panadapter.  You can also dynamically drag the filter skirt edges to any point within the maximum bandwidth of the slice.  None of our software has had a direct entry feature for adjusting filter widths because it is so much more convenient to do it visually by dragging the filter skirts, so we will have to evaluate the global usefulness of this request.  Thanks for the idea.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Visual mouse adjustment is convenient but can be frustrating for accurate. If you are trying to get to 1.0 it is quicker and more convenient to just entry the value. Using the mouse is a struggle to get it there and more often than not it ends up some value close but not dead on. Everyone has a different view and having the option to do both would good.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    User configurable filter presets like the newer knob radios is highly desirable. It would even be nice if the presets automatically changed based on mode, like the Icom 8600/7700/7800 or Kenwood 590/990.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes David, it's difficult to use the mouse when you want set the filter to exact values. And I would also be great if you could save your own filter presets.

Remember to click the ME TOO button at top of page.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My ME TOO is to establish my own filter presets.  All I basically want to do is replace all the 100hz low freq cutoffs at wider phone bandwidths with 50hz  ;-)

73, Barry N1EU
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes custom filter presets! I have never owned a 5000 but doesn’t Power SDR already do this?
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    It sure does. That's all I'm asking for, customizable filters like in PSDR.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Please click the LIKE or ME TOO buttons at the top of the page if you support this idea.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sounds like a feature for some third party person to make an add on helper utility ... Lions and tigers and FlexLib oh my! :-)
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    NO! Why not built IN?
    Why should we need to use 3rd party software for simple features that can be a part of SSDR.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    For a current work-around you could use either of these:

1. macros with the SH and SL CAT commands to set the upper and lower filter limits.

SH Sets or reads VFO A DSP Filter High Cut Index
    SL Sets or reads VFO A DSP Filter Low Cut Index

2.  DDUtil  DD6FIL macro

DD6FIL Set Slice, Mode and Filter parameters (rev'd @ 32300)
     Form: DD6FIL P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6 P7 ;    Parm: P1 = Slice 0-7 {A-H} & 9 for active slice.   Parm: P2 = Separator (:)   Parm: P3 = Mode = 2 numerical digits {00=LSB,  01=USB, 02|03|04=CW,    05=FM,  06=AM,   07=DIGU,                                           09=DIGL, 10=SAM, 11=NFM, 12=DFM, 20=FDV, 30=RTTY, 40=DSTR}   Parm: P4 = Separator (:)   Parm: P5 = Filter Center = 4 numerical digits prefixed with either a ‘+’ or ‘-‘.   Parm: P6 = Separator (:)   Parm: P7 = Filter Width  = 5 numerical digits for the filter width in Hz.   Uses: DD6FIL0:01:+0000:02500;   Note: Above example sets slice 0 to USB mode and sets the filter center point to 0 Hz and filter width to 2500 Hz.               Use slice = 9 (DD6FIL9...) to set parameters for the active slice.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is always an option but having apart of the SmartSDR GUI would be better for one place to manage the radio and not another add programming. There are few things could be tweaked in the GUI like making use of right click on the radio panel options like filters to bring up the level so you don't have chase down the slice. It would also be good if the panel fit vertically at least on 1080 resolution screen. It you use the horizontal listing at the top to rearrange the order would be useful too. Those are just few items that come to mind.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I thought this was the beauty of the panadaptor, drag the filters were ever we want?
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes dragging the filters are fine for quick approximate filter settings BUT... when you want exact values with the mouse it can be very difficult to achieve. Also we want to be able to save our filter presets for instant recall.

Yes Barry, I was aware of these alternatives but hope that this SIMPLE feature will be included in a future version of SSDR.

Please click the LIKE or ME TOO buttons at the top of the page if you support this idea.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Well what ever, I'm sure they are aware of this thread. We will what happens in the future.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Please click the LIKE & ME TOO buttons at the top of the page if you support this idea.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If you guys want to drool over one implementation of SDR filter customization, view this video at 3:58 in (choose HD 1080p in settings and watch full screen):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZ2RjfQDKA

73, Barry N1EU
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Holy Cow! Now this is what I'm talking about! Amazing that it's only V3! Look at how much further along the GUI is compared to SSDR.

Fully customizable AGC with graphical feedback!

Audio Scope

S-meter with Peek reading.

All slider values shown all the time. (See what I mean Now!)

Customizable colors, skins and so on...

And so much More More More................

This GUI is light years ahead of SSDR.

I sure hope we don’t have to wait to till Ver.4,5,6 to see these items to show up in SSDR.

I almost fee embarrassed that I have to ask for such obvious features.

Now don't get me wrong the 6000 series radio hardware itself is amazing with it's networking, Build quality and so on but the GUI has a long way to go. PowerSDR already has many of these features today. You would think when you are coming out with a new product to replace an older one you would carryover all of the features from the prior software and then add the new features?

IMHO I don’t think FRS should be charging for software updates until SSDR has most of the features of Power SDR.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Most of those features for the GUI improvements / enhancements are on the idea list already.  Some go back several years.  There are about 800+ ideas so it take some time to find them all.  Not many folks vote so it't hard to tell how important they really are. 

FRS is making their decisions on where to put development resources where they feel it will provide the best ROI. 

I expect we will see a few GUI improvements added at time goes on but it may take a few more years.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The software in that linked video blows my mind, but there's no telling when it will actually be released for general use.  The video shows Simon Brown (the developer) running early development version of the software on ANAN hardware. If/when it is released, it will be a game changer.

73, Barry N1EU
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Simon is a software genius he is why Ham Radio Deluxe even exists.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't mind paying for software, as long as the vendor provides an up front feature specification/commitment so I know exactly what I'll eventually be getting.

Barry N1EU
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes Barry, I don't mind paying ether but I think since SSDR is so far behind PowerSDR maybe they could wait until they are closer to what PowerSDR has now before charging for the updates for SmartSDR?

Well at least this thread is "Under Consideration" 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.