Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.6 Profile Changes - a sneak peek

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
edited February 2023 in New Ideas
With the upcoming release of SmartSDR v1.6 release, one of the major areas addressed was the refactoring (a fancy development word for completely redoing) of the Profiles feature.  In versions of SmartSDR prior to 1.6, there were two types of profiles; Global and its associated TX profile.  We determined that this profile architecture was not optimally configured for operating in a workflow optimized (aka "contesting") manner.  So we went back to the drawing board and made some significant changes.

1. You can now delete Default profiles.
2. Transmit profiles have been split into Transmit and Mic profiles.
3. CW Settings are no longer stored in profiles.
4. Mode changes now load a “linked” Mic Profile.
5. TX Antenna changes now load a “linked” Transmit Profile.
6. Transmit profiles now save power settings for all bands.

In order to better assist you in understanding the changes and how the linked profiles interact with the radio state, Ed, KG5FBT the "Profile Master" has written a how to guide that describes the Profile changes and interaction in greater detail along with with some examples.  In preparation for the release of SmartSDR v1.6 the week of January 10th, we are making the SmartSDR Profiles How To Guide available to you now so you have a chance to review it and get a sneak peek into the details of how this updated feature operates.

12 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Ken K7YR
    Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Tim !.  Looking forward to this great addition.

Ken K7YR
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the publication of the guide. Will it be possible to reinstall a default profile after deleting it?
    Mni tnx es 73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Need I Say More.....

KC2QMA
    John
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Keep up the great work FRS!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes, by resetting the radio back to factory defaults
  • Rick Zach K1RJZ
    Rick Zach K1RJZ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you! Any word on band edge markers?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I am afraid that feature did not make it into SmartSDR v1.6
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So they are completely deleted instead of a hidden setting so they don't display in a listing but could easily be restored without a reset?
  • Nick Cloyes, N4CL
    Nick Cloyes, N4CL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Each release makes me feel like a kid a Christmas!  I can't wait.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Nice!  Thanks...  any word about RX EQ linked to mode?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes, look at the parameters for the MIC profile which is mode dependent.  RX EQ is included.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I see a reference to TX EQ and levels, but not RX EQ. If so, I will be very happy not to need to adjust RX EQ every time I go to CW and back to SSB! I really like the idea to separate transmit profiles from Mic profiles and link mike profiles to mode. Very nice move! Linking transmit profiles to antenna selection is also very nice. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes excellent sense. Eagerly waiting the new release. So far we have seen advance info about DAX/CAT and profiles. Both of which I think will be very nice additions! Any more goodies in the package you can tease us with? Santa has been very busy!
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,

Does Flex recommend starting over with new profiles after installing v1.6, or will folks be able to reload their old profiles and then fine tune them?  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I'll need to check on the RX EQ settings.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tim,
    I had the same question and didn't see RX EQ listed in the Mic profiles table.  Did I miss it somewhere else in the doc?.  My interest is for CW use to peak the audio (and never use a microphone here)  so was wondering where it would be in the new scheme.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW......... V 1.5.1.70
    SSDR / DAX...... V 1.5.1.152
    CAT................... V 1.5.1.0
    Win10

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks you for the detailed explanation!/documentation!!
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    RX EQ is stored in the Global profile.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Chris beat me too it.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Chris, that works for me.  Probably worth a note in the next version of the guide.

I.e. RX EQ moved from a MIC profile setting in V1.6

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    Win10
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    You can also backup your profiles and restore deleted ones from your backup
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Unfortunately that doesn't help me much. If I say " I am going to work some CW today for a couple hours" then it is ok. I will set my Global CW profile and off we go in search of CW signals. But if I say "I am going to hunt national parks on the air wherever they are" and jump from band to band and mode to mode wherever the spotting network leads me, then having RX EQ linked to a global profile is no help because choosing a global profile changes a pan, frequency and mode. It must be selected before clicking a CW spot. Unless I have not understood how global profiles has been changed. Most people I know use different RX EQ settings based upon mode. It would be better to have it linked to the mode so that we can enhance reception of SSB, CW, rtty, am, fm, and fdv individually as needed, because each mode may need a different type of enhancement. In any case. I am sure there will be plenty in the new release to keep me busy!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    David.  Deleted is deleted.  This is aspect of profile management has not changed.  As Howard said, it is a best practice to backup your profiles so if they are deleted, you can recover them.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Your feedback is appreciated and noted.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Aside from this small issue, ther is a great deal that excites me about what I have heard about the upcoming release. I have read the profiles manual and am preparing to read the Dax guide posted just a little bit ago. It all promises to expand capabilities and simplify interfacing in ways that none other have done in two years. And I haven't even heard about some of the other contest-specific enhancements. So I certainly don't want to cast any wet blankets! I am very impressed with everything else I have heard. Thanks for a huge effort! Ken - NM9P
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Ken,
    Been thinking about the RX EQ.  Although it works for me as a CW only OP, I wonder if this idea makes any sense for other users.
    • Rename MIC profiles to Audio profiles
    • Move RX EQ back to the new Audio profiles
    • User could establish an Audio profile for CW (where we could set up the RX EQ that we use)
    • Continue with the microphone profiles here as well as the RX profiles
    Like I said, I don't use the other modes so not sure if this would work for you.  Just thinking out loud.  This seems easier than establishing a whole new set of RX profiles linked to the mode, etc.   What do you think?.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    Win10

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I had voted to keep CW in the profiles and rename the Mic profiles as Mode profiles.  My feedback was also appreciated and noted.  :)
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Chris,
    MODE or AUDIO -- either works for me.  Since the parameters deal with audio settings in general I picked AUDIO but MODE works too.

Maybe something to consider to the next release. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    Win10

This discussion has been closed.