Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex or a box with knobs?

Options
124»

Answers

• Rick Williams
    Rick Williams Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi Monk:
    I can understand your concerns in that there is something comforting in using the familiar.  You talked about whatever radio you choose as likely being your last radio purchase.  If you think about it, the only reason anyone buys a new radio is because the new one does something better than the current radio, unless the old one breaks.  One of the reasons I bought a Flex is because it can constantly get better.  Better noise performance, perhaps better filters, better feature sets since the stats on the hardware side of the radio are already so good.  If some wizard figures out some algorithm that eliminates 95% of the static on a radio, it is matter of programming, not building a new model.   

Another consideration is that with any new radio, there is going to be a learning curve.  I've operated some radios like a Yaesu 9000 and compared to that, the Flex is to me at least very intuitive.  I received my 6500 Christmas Eve and 40 minutes later was making contacts.  I don't know if you are into digital modes other than CW, but compared to other radios I've owned and operated, getting the Flex setup with digital software is a breeze.  One Ethernet cable and some settings.  And speaking of CW, the radio is wonderful to use CW.  

Ultimately though, for me at least, it comes down to making contacts and there the Flex really shines.  You can look at the entire band and see what is going on.  Finding signals is a breeze and you can monitor other bands at the same time.  I've managed some 200+ contacts.  The filtering is the best I've ever experienced and the noise control is fantastic as well.  

It will come down to your priorities but consider that perhaps many of the issues you read about have already been solved and are no longer issues.  Also, thanks for your time with the PGR!

Best
    Rick, KT9B
    SR-RC, INPG
  • Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    After owning a loaded 5000A for a couple of years, I was one of the earlier hams to get a 6700, and have not been disappointed. For me, there have been no problems with the Flex radios; mine went back for a hardware fix, and that was totally covered by Flex. The difficult part was being without the radio for a couple of weeks. 

I have never looked at my choice of HF radios as a "knobs and buttons" vs. a lack thereof decision. Rather, the performance of the Flex radios, along with the ability to make major improvements via the software, is what sold me on their products. Excellent product and customer support was also a huge factor.

Now... about the Windows OS... Windows is still the most common OS around and, although we would like a Linux version, it may not happen anytime soon. Just keep your Windows PC dedicated (mostly) to the Flex, and you will be just ducky. Avoid Windows Defender like the plague that it appears to be, and it gets even better. Use AVG or something like that. 

Once you use a Flex, you will be hooked. 
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

You said, " For me, there have been no problems with the Flex radios"

You also said,  "mine went back for a hardware fix,"

What am I missing?

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    There was a hardware upgrade a while back to make the earlier 6700's (and 6500's as well) work with some of the newest software and firmware changes. The radio worked well before the upgrade and worked the same afterward... until I got the next software and firmware upgrade.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, I remember that for the 6700.  It was actually a performance upgrade, not a defect repair.  It was only for the 6700 if I remember correctly.  At least I have had no information regarding my fairly-early 6500. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Monk,
    I note from your QRZ.COM page that you are not far from Austin, TX.  You might call for an appointment and see if they will give you a tour and/or demonstration.  I don't know how busy the staff will be the next week or two (assuming the new software update comes out soon.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.