Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PTT in CW?

Barry N1EU
Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Are there any tricks for PTT to function properly in CW as MOX?  I've got WinKey PTT driving the PTT input and I'm finding that sometimes the Flex 6500 correctly follows PTT and doesn't unbreak in the middle of a transmitted message (from N1MM Logger+ to WinKey to 6500 key input) but at other times PTT seems to be ignored and it keys like it's QSK.  If it's in the manual, I couldn't find it.  (the CW PTT works fine with my other radios)

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

Answers

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    One trick is you have to have Breakin enabled.

Just tried on 6500 and using FrontPanel PTT, CW works in conjunction with PTT.

Tim

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I already have breakin enabled.  PTT is not consistently holding TX mode in cw.  It works some times but not all the time for me  ;-(
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It's now clear that MOX isn't enabled in CW on my 6500.  If I click MOX or push PTT manually, the receiver doesn't mute.  Is there any provision to enable MOX and PTT in CW?

Thanks, Barry N1EU
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I figured it out!  You actually have to turn Breakin OFF!  Works well.

Barry N1EU
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    But the implication of that is that your paddle will no longer work.  In a contest, perhaps 95% of my cw is generated by the computer/Winkey where PTT/MOX really helps save the ears but then occasionally I need to use the paddles on breakin.  Evidently Flex 6K SSDR won't support this.  But a work-around would be to use a footswitch when you need to use the paddle.

Barry N1EU
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    First let me apologize for getting this wrong. 

I tested further from your observations and it appears Breakin treats CW as VoX does for voice. If Breakin is disabled one can use the radio as a very expensive practice CW generator. I recall reading that observation on this site. 

Using the (front panel) PTT, I can PTT on the xmit, TX Rdy turns red, mute on and send CW via a bug connected to the ACC connector -OR- the front panel key jack if Iambic is on. But to use the paddle one has to key the PTT if the Breakin is off.

With Breakin ON, the front paddle port will key the transmitter and Iambic keyer works.

The MoX toggle allows controls the PTT of the xmit but I also hear the audio from Rcv is not fully muted but Rcv signals are gone.  This seems the odd part but

Are these your observations also?

k3Tim
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Yes, I believe that's it.

Can I convert this into a feature request, or how exactly does one formally submit a feature request?

The request is: please support PTT in CW as MOX, even when Breakin is enabled.

73, Barry N1EU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.