Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Istanbul Tomorrow Sept 11/12

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Just left Troy. Crusing to Istanbul tonite. Picked up a Turkcell SIM in Canakalle Reasonable 3 Gimage It cost me 18€ or $20 for 5GB of data compared to outrageous AT&T rate of $150 per GB data when roaming under their so called Bargain Passport a plan Anyone interested in how to roam internationally cheaply drop me a line Should be in Instanbul at 0500Z and plan to be at the hotel (Four Seasons Bosphorous) by 1100Z. I will post times when I will be remoting once I get set up. Will be in Istanbul until 09/12 then off to Marseille so should have lots of time. Unless XYL needs to shop. Yes I have a Turkish Visa. My last DXpeditions to Turkey was 1965. 40M Mobile all the way to Syria. Worked at least 110 separate DX entities on SSB then. I suspect that would be rather dangerous today.

Comments

• Pat
    Pat Member
    edited July 2019
    it is a forum on the FLEX-1500 not to travel in Syria
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Remote, yes?

QTU?

W9DXCC is 11/12th - perhaps can QSO from there...

Steve K9ZW

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You will enjoy Marseilles and Istanbul. I am right behind you Howard, as my goal is to work the world remotely from every Starbucks hotspot in the world. Wikipedia shows almost 23,000 stores so that should keep me busy in my retirement.

Oh yes ... be very very dubious when a Turkish rug salesman invites you for tea.

Don't ask me how I know this ...

W7NGA  dan
    San Juan Island, Wa.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Actually we will not stay in Marseille but head up to our cottage in Sablet. About 30km east of Avignon. I just upgraded the Internet there when we. We're there in June so remoting is easy now
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Howard: what on earth do you do for a living? Are you a member of the Walton family or something? Happy times
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ouch ... after garnering a few private emails declaring what an idiotic waste of my retirement this would be, I am compelled to state publicly that I was only joking. But not about the beautiful Turkish rug here in the shack. I am still wondering what exactly was in that cup of tea I drank <grin>
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Those guys love and live to haggle and would sell you grandma if the price was right.

Starting price, rip off price, good price and bargain price go in powers of 2.

Think used car salesman.

The poor fellow who spent a year or so knotting the rug in the tribal village gets little.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
  • Jon Turner
    Jon Turner Member
    edited December 2016
    Howard: we stayed at the Four Seasons, there. Lovely but neighborhood too touristy. Be sure to explore the Asia side neighborhoods (where the young well-to-do live). Much more interesting food, shopping, music, etc. ...Jon... WW6ZZ
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Now, that was no Istan-"bull"..... LOL....
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    FYI. Never lucky enough to inherit anything I am just a retired old engineer who was fortunate enough to emigrate to the USA 30+ years ago, start a few Companies and got fired by my son who gave me a big check when he sold my companies. XYL and I travel as much as we still physically can (we both have had health scares) and have no intention of leaving any money to our children or grandchildren. If by some mischance we outlive our money (current market has been ****) our kids are successful enough for us to sponge off them. I am also fortunate enough to have a XYL who continues to want to work in the travel business which mitigates some of our travel costs
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Interesting comments and good for you, Howard.  I can also attest that being married to a travel industry insider certainly pays big dividends when it comes to the holiday planning and budgeting process.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    0307Z. September 11 Greetings from Istanbul Hotel's Interet sucks 1.5Mb/s up and down unless you pay 22€ for slightly faster connection MIFI box seems much better 9mb/s. Up and 1,28MB upload But MIFI box with Turkish SIM seems to be unstable connection errors. Likely due to Friday PM rush hour cell phone loads Probably go out for dinner and try later Here we are at the Blue Mosques image
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Enjoy dinner. Hope to hear you later...
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hey Howard, now that you're in Turkey, any issues with the indigenous population?
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Howard, you must see the Basilica Cistern .. though reception is probably poor!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    No issues whatsoever. In fact the locals are flying Turkish flags in protest against the terrorist attacks.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    0800Z Just paying the bill. XYL going to bed so I will grab my headset and try DXing in about 15 minutes. Currently sitting outside by the Bosphorous at the bar at rhe Four Saesons. Will DX from outside
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    0622 Z. Must have missed the count before Sitting beside Bosphorous Will try 20M.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Listening...name the frequency...
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    14.208. Beam T 30 degrees. Calling CQ. K6TU App
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Listening
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Moving 14.255
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ken. How about 40M. ? Called local guys in SD they were at the Friday Lunch
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    7.210. Callin CQ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ok. 7.190 looks clear.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am about 86 degrees from you.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Somebody strong tuning up on 7.210
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Big rag chew group on 7.210 in Midwest.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    U pick a frequency

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.