Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will I be able to run my 6700 on a Maestro AND my PC at the same time?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Well, the title says it all.

When my Maestro arrives will I have to terminate SSDR on my PC while using my Maestro as the front end for my 6700, or will Maestro and my PC will be able to "play well together"?

[Hopefully, no one will offer the "this product is still in development and its final specifications have not been fully decided upon" card.]

Roy,  AC2GS

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My guess is with the current version of SmartSDR on the radio you will only be able to use one at a time. Until their add multi-user/device connectivity support. The Maestro is using an appliance version of Windows and is just like using your PC.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/maestro/ ...Ready for remote operation with SmartSDR v2.0...
  • James - K4JK
    James - K4JK Member
    edited March 2017
    From the same document:

Can I use the panadapters on both a PC and Maestro at the same time?
    Not initially.  This is currently planned for a future software release.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Will the purchase of the Maestro entitled you to a free upgrade to 2.0?
    Can't wait to get mine. :)
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    What I heard at Dayton was the later version would support using the Maestro as a control surface only when used in conjunction with a PC.  In other words the system would not support Maestro and a PC simultaneously displaying slices, transmitting, etc.

In addition to the dials for tuning, etc, the Maestro screen would display some radio data  and touch tiles but not the panadapter.   It would be a mega-FlexControl with more buttons and dials.  The nice thing about this strategy is that it does not involve the PC mouse --- So there are no issues with changing focus on the PC.

Of course, things could change but either way, I don't expect to see V2 for a while.   Maybe mid 2016?  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com 
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited March 2017
    Initially you will have to decide if you want to run SmartSDR or Maestro for the control surface on the radio.  Over time, more functionality will be added.  Several options are being considered such as:

- Maestro controls SmartSDR and the display on Maestro shows "facts and figures" kind of data like which slices you are controlling, the frequency, etc. but not a panadapter and panafall display on the Maestro
    - Maestro and SmartSDR show same data and work side-by-side
    - Maestro and SmartSDR are "autonomous" devices that each control their own virtual radio.  With this you could have two people operating what appears to be two radios at the same time.  Of course, there is only one transmitter to be shared between the two positions
    - Multiple Maestros connect to a single radio, each controlling their own "virtual radio" -- for contesters think of this as M/2 with two Maestros and a single radio

No decisions have been made about which of these we will do or when yet, but this gives you some insight into what we're thinking.
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    If I use Maestro to run the Flex is there a way to send frequency and mode to the logging program on the desktop computer?  All modern stand-alone radios have a CAT connection to a computer for logging.  Would that be missing if I use Maestro?

73 de K1ESE
    John
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Hi John,

Gerald Youngblood previously confirmed on this forum that logging programs (he specifically mentioned N1MM) running on a PC will work with SmartCAT over the LAN while the operator is simultaneously controlling his Flex transceiver with Maestro. DDUTil would work in the same manner.

FYI, you can also control any device supported with a serial interface by DDUtil (amps, tuners, rotator controllers) over the LAN by utilizing an Ethernet to Serial (RS232) adapter that connects the device (amp, tuner, rotator controller) directly to your LAN (router).  DDUtil runs on the remote PC along with SmartCAT and connects to the Ethernet to Serial Adpater via a virtual serial port and special software that converts the control data to TCP/IP format and forwards it over the LAN to the target device through the  Ethernet to Serial adapter. There is no need for a local PC at the station.

Larry KB1VFU

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    So this sounds like HRD and other control /!logging software will not work.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    Logging and control software will be fine -- today only one "GUI client" allowed at a time.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It would be great to have maestro and smartsdr connected to the flex at the same time. Technically I don't see that being a big deal to implement
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

You can run SmartSDR CAT and DAX on the PC for logging and digital modes without running SmartSDR. Then use the Maestro to control the Flex.

This frees up screen real estate on the PC.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    For my operating preference the default would be option 2, Maestro and SmartSDR work side-by-side. Adding the other options over time works ok with me, but not being able to use the Maestro like a big brother FlexControl while I keep my nice big sized panadapter in the computer screen would be a step back. Mainly because my 6700 becomes a 6300 if used only with the Maestro if I cannot simultaneously see other slices besides the 2 available at the Maestro screen.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Salvador,
    Same here on the option to use Maestro as a "a big brother FlexControl."    From Steve's comment above:

- Maestro controls SmartSDR and the display on Maestro shows "facts and figures" kind of data like which slices you are controlling, the frequency, etc. but not a panadapter and panafall display on the Maestro

I asked about this at Dayton 2015, and Steve also mentioned that additional controls (i.e. touch screen buttons) could be implemented as well.  So Knobs and buttons.

I expect this to be the mode I would use 99% of the time.  Since this is an enhancement that may not be offered for a long time, I decided to wait before ordering a Maestro.

Once I hear this option/mode is actually coming and an approximate time, I'll put in an order.    Maybe 2017?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10

• N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I would want to use Maestro not only for remote operation but as an add on at my station with the ability to use it and smartsdr at the same time.  Otherwise I'm taking a step back from using my 32 inch display for my pan adapter.  Even putting the ability to have and external display on the back of the Maestro acting as a mirror display would be fine.  If this is something that is not going to be added via firmware, I'm going to cancel my order.  

Without this ability its not worth the money and I'm sure many feel the same way.  
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Is this something that is going to be changed via firmware or is this get what you see?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The is a feature that will be added to the SmartSDR ecosystem of software in a future release.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Okay, that's great news...
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It isn't trivial.  When you can connect multiple GUI clients, the radio becomes multi-user capable and there are a lot of conditions that have to be handled to prevent multiple users from performing conflicting commands at the same time.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That I understand but in my case there is only one user and thats me.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    So sending the GUI to 2 different devices at the same time is the tough part, but, will the Maestro still allow all the GUI control (knobs) plus whatever other data can be displayed in the screen minus panadapter while also having SmartSDR open?

So basicly, you select where the panadapter and waterfall info goes, PC or Maestro, but both can't be on at the same time. Right? 

And eventually, in the not too distant future, we can have both PC and Maestro panadapter GUI at the same time.

The Maestro is still valid as a way to use the Radio without a computer (if you don't need to use an amp) or as a device to use the radio away from the radios shack (this can be done with a Laptop...) and definitely as the accessory to have if you are into contesting.

Personally, I am not cancelling my preorder, but I am analyzing the use scenarios in my case. 

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Having the Maestro and SmartSDR show same data and work side-by-side would be my preferred option too.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I agree, I want to be able to use both and I don't want to have to wait 3-4 years for the software that will enable this functionality.  I'm not one to want to take the Maestro pool side, or into my living room and I don't do dxpeditions.  I was wanting it to provide knobs to the radio while at my main station.  If It doesn't allow me the use of SmartSDR on my PC, then I'm having a hard time figuring out what I would do with it.  When traveling, I'm going to want to have a logging program and possibly digital modes.  For this I'd be taking a laptop or tablet.  Not sure why I'd want to also take the Maestro.  Shoot, its big and I travel light, typically with just a carry-on bag.  I guess I need to think this through a bit.

Is there something I'm missing here?
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I don't think your missing anything and I agree with your statement. If what Tim said is true then that's great. But like you, I'm not willing to wait years or months for that matter. That's why I'm re-thinking about canceling my order.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Me myself took something for granted in that the maestro would work in a mirroring setup to the monitor as well and not one or the other. Now with this limitation it's very hard for me to justify $1200 sitting around just for remote operation for any period of time.

For hams that must have knobs and are not Computer literate, this is perfect for them. For me on the other hand it's just spending money for something that's limited in use.

I sent a email to Matt Youngblood who I have been in contact with about shipping dates expressing my concerns about this as well. But have not heard back yet. I'm leaning towards canceling my order.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Nick - we have been upfront about running Maestro and SmartSDR for Windows at the same time would not be in the initial release of SmartSDR for Maestro.  It has been on the Maestro product web page FAQ since we first published it last summer.

Even Steve's official response above 6 months ago indicates that the initial release would not support dual operation with SmartSDR. 

As with any new software / hardware integration project, we have to get the core functionality released first and make it solid before adding additional new features.

We have committed to adding this functionality in a future release of SmartSDR for Maestro.

However, if you still feel that canceling your order is the most appropriate course of action for you, we will dutifully accommodate your wishes.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Remember the price at Dayton was discounted...

- so if you cancel now.. it will cost you $200 more to buy one later...
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I wish that was the case, I did not get any discount.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I understand, as long as this is in a timely manner and not a year from now. 
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    What's the point of a single user server?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.