Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Issues with fldigi and Win 10 and SSDR

DonS
DonS Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
fldigi appears not to sync with SSDR (latest version).  I just downloaded the latest version of Win 10.  Since I upgraded to the latest version of WIN 10 I cannot get fldigi to sync with fldigi.  Win 10 release I think 160 worked fine.  I am receiving ok, however, without fldigi syncing with SSDR I cannot transmit and the frequency is not updating. I understand Win 10 is not really supported by Flex until after there is an official release of Win 10.  Any thoughts?  I guess I will try MMTTY to see if it will sync with SSDR in Win 10.

Answers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The idea behind a beta is not to provide prerelease titillation to the hobbiest community, rather, to flush out what doesn't work, where the regressions are. You might try, rather than waiting for it to become frs's problem, report it to Microsoft...as its really their problem. The answer may come back, "yeah, we don't support that anymore", or maybe they will find and fix it before the go GA.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Don, just download the corresponding xml files here: http://www.w1hkj.com/xmlarchives.html You can even use 2 slices in SmartSDR. BTW I will stay with Windows 7 until I'm sure about 10....
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    A very wise decision. An adage developed years back, "never buy a dot zero release of anything from Microsoft, always wait at least until the first service pack". Companies (development groups) do the betas if they sell software that runs on Windows (and it needs to be vetted before Windows n+1 goes GA, but for employee's desktop systems, nope, they are not upgraded until IT is completely satisfied there are no compatibility issues with the new release. Consider the consequences to a company if their employees could no longer do their job because of a premature adoption of a new Microsoft release. Historically there have been issues which is why the 'wait at least until service pack 1' rule became ubiquitous.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I understand this is beta that is why it is installed in a Win 10 VM. I already have everything loaded and working in a Win 7 VM. It was working ok in an earlier ver of Win 10 beta I did an update and now I have an issus with fldigi and SSDR. Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with latest release of Win 10 in a VM - I am using Parallels.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I understand that Don, but as a 'beta tester' you should tell Microsoft what worked in Win 7 with an identical configuration doesn't work with Win 10. Likely, almost certainly, Microsoft would not hold the release over that but the fix might find it's way into SP1. That assumes it is otherwise an identical configuration to the one you have that does work.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Don,
       When you say does not 'sync' do you mean that there is no CAT style communications between the fldigi and the radio?  ( fldigi doesn't reflect what frequency the radio is ? ) 

AL, K0VM
  • Mike Heitmann
    Mike Heitmann Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Is SmartSDR CAT running? I'm also running Windows 10 preview on a small tablet PC and I find that after each major update SmartSDR CAT does not run until I completely uninstall SmartSDR, including FlexVSP, then re-install. Also note, uninstalling SmartSDR does not uninstall FlexVSP, you have to uninstall FlexVSP separately, which I usually forget to do until SmartSDR CAT fails to start. After I do that it works fine again. I figure it's part of the price of using "preview" software. Mike, N0SO
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    That basically sums it up.  No CAT and fldigi will not key the radio regardless if I am using CAT for keying or a comport setup in SmartSDR CAT.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I am not familiar with FlexVSP.  I completely uninstalled SSDR, rebooted, and reinstalled.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Alex, I already had both xml files downloaded.  How can you use them on different slices so fldigi knows which one to activate or do you run seperate instances of fldigi with slice A xml on one instance and slice B xml on the other instance?
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Mike, thanks for the info.  Once I found where FlexVSP was located, I was able to delete it along with SSDR.  I rebooted then reinstalled SSDR 1.4.16.  After another reboot following the install, I fired up SSDR and fldigi.  I then went into fldigi configuration and did an initialize on RigCAT.  At that point the QSY button in fldigi was no longer greyed out indicating to me that CAT was working ok, however, DAX channel 1 showed it was not connected.  I switched to another channel then returned to channel 1 and I could see it was now "Streaming".  So at this point I am able to rx and tx using fldigi in the Win 10 environment.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Delete FlexVSP or Uninstall it with Windows uninstall?
    or does it matter?

73, Jay - NO5J
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I should clarify that I used windows uninstall.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ok thanks for clearing that up.image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Don --

This is a regression in Win 10.  I'm seeing a similar situation with WSJT-X.  I tried various combinations of software until I concluded that the most recent Win 10 (TH1) was the cause.

I'm just going to sit this version of Win 10 out then try again, probably within a week, when another version comes out.

If you are using the Insider Hub, then yes, it would be a good idea to describe what you have seen.

Finally, we can expect to have a few bumps when Win 10 comes out.  Some of the software we depend on will need some changes to adapt to the new environment.  The only way to fix some of the problems that people like to complain about WRT Microsoft is to change the software interfaces and force changes in the applications.  Lots of moaning and groaning, but things get fixed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.