Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CWX CharSent Event Timing Question

K9DUR
K9DUR Member ✭✭
edited January 2017 in SmartSDR API

Does the CharSent event fire when CWX starts sending a character or when it finishes?

It appears to fire when the character starts sending.  I need to be able to determine when a character has finished sending.

73, Ray, K9DUR

Answers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The OnCharSent event is triggered by a status message from the radio saying it was sent. My guess is, it means the character has left the building. Otherwise it should be charAck that the radio received it from the user.

It's probably pretty easy to test, if you can trap the event, better yet, breakpoint the event sink, and see if the transmit light has come on and gone off before the breakpoint is hit or, what I suspect is unlikely, hasn't come on at all yet.

Doesn't CWX strikeout the character as it is sent. Yeah, I give the odds 99% it left the building. But you'd have to talk to someone familiar with the radio programming to be 100% certain.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I had just gotten home from the gym. In the shower a better way came to me.

15:42:31.024 [pool-2-thread-3] - sending cmd C24|cwx send "kz1f"
    15:42:31.368 [pool-2-thread-3] - received reply  R24|0|8
    15:42:31.369 [pool-2-thread-3]  - received status S0|interlock state=PTT_REQUESTED
    15:42:31.369 [pool-2-thread-3]  - received status S0|interlock state=TRANSMITTING reason= source=SW
    15:42:31.969 [pool-2-thread-3] - received status S0|cwx sent=8
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Forget this whole thread.  It does indeed fire after the character has been completely sent.

I found a bug elsewhere in my code that was making it look like it was firing prematurely.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    FWIW, Ray, that was kind of a fun exercise. But what's amazing, and somewhat to your point as far as timing, notice the times from initially sending the request.

350ms from request to radio acknowledgement of the request
        1ms for the radio to initiate the transmission, note requesting ptt.
       <1ms to transition to transmit mode
    300ms to get acknowledgement processed of the first character sent.

So, yes, on the event sink, the character has, in fact, left the building.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You could request, as it is your thread, that Tim mark it answered.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.