Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PTT Audio fail once in a while Still a Problem, and Praise 1.4

2»

Comments

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Also helps to hit the "ME TOO" button at the top of the thread to upvote the problem.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have also noticed the issue when keying with WSJT-X via CAT. Quite infrequent  so not reported. Me tooing here!

Personally, I have found the response times for help from the forum to be much better than the helpdesk, so the latter is always a poor second when it comes to problems. The forum help is also better quality-wise.
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I also have the same problem with 1.4. Had rare issues with 1.38. During this weekend's phone contest I used VOX. My Radiosport headset is plugged into the front jack. I had several problems with sudden failure of the radio to respond to my voice. Receive intact. In the panic that ensued each time, I pressed every button I could think of to return to nominal operation but no joy. I finally had to shut down and do cold re-boots or warm re-boots to return the radio to life. I was using N1MM+ Logger and have never had any problems with the software.

I do not like phone contests but this is not the way to abandon them forever.

For me, this is a SERIOUS problem since I do not know if I can trust 1.4 during contests or chasing DX.

AND, I also installed WSJT-X this weekend and had several incidents when the radio would not produce RF to a command from the software to transmit. Using DXLabs Commander CAT interface.

I am likely to put in a report to the help desk later today.

This is the first time in all the months I have had a 6000 with SmartSDR that I am truly disappointed.

Mike N1MD
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    and , since I occasionally have the same WSJT-X issue that Mike N1MD describes I am not sure this IS a SmartSDR issue.  I experience it with PowerSDR .  The remedy is the same, reboot of Flex software and digital mode software. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    I have entered this report into our bug tracker for further investigation.  Please report any additional information related to this specific issue in this community topic.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just to confirm the observations, I have experienced this a few times with 1.4 as well.
    It doesn't seem to be a frequent.
    I have not had opportunity to try any DIGI modes since the upgrade, because I have been working on other projects (MIDI Controllers), so I don't know if is still doing it when keyed via FLDIGI, which it had been doing with 1.38 on occasion.

Tech Specs here:  
    6500 keyed with a solid industrial footswitch via the RCA PTT port.
    no other amps in line.

Running 100 Watts with no RF problems in the shack.

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thank you for all your time and effort on stayin on top of this "Pile" hihi

I did turn in a ticket yesterday on the issue but I may have done something a little off, since I haven't received and ack. yet. It does appear that you may have also received the update I put here in the forum concerning the audio.. just in case here it is again:

Here is what I have found so far... keep in mind that, although I have turned in a new help ticket on this problem, I have not received a number or response from flex nor do I expect one since it is the weekend. That said. When it happens, it is not local hardware as some have theorized, as I can get audio to the software level...meaning that the audio level indicator is showing audio, the recorder is also showing audio, since I can record audio then play it back...but it is not making it to the transmitter. I will amend that to the help ticket, as soon as I receive one.  Jim  KJ7S.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I do not have to unload/reload any software here. I just stop the TX in WSJT-X and immediately restart it. I may have to press the 'tune' button in WSJT-X in between (it's all that I use it for) - it's been a whilst since I have had to do it.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I do not see an account for you or a HelpDesk ticket from you in the queue.  For details on how to submit a HelpDesk support ticket, please refer to the following URL: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Supp... 
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'll try again this afternoon tim. I was able to log in successfully with my main email and I thought I'd gotten it right but something must've went wrong,tnx for the link.
  • Stewart Howarth
    edited April 2016
    I'm having the same problem every time I key-up. Using 1.4, High spec. Windows 7 PC, Yaesu desk mike to front mic. socket, no HRD or digital mode software running. Stewart GM0GTU
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Tim, here is a observation of how it acts when it fails.If you move the RF Power Output slider ALL the way DOWN to "0" you will see how the panadapter, Level meter, and Recorder looks and sounds, 
    With the RF Power slider set to 1 it looks normal. 

Ran accross this last night
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tim. I set up a different account and it went well, plse. refer to # 9083  if that is the right reference# according to the response. Jim  KJ7S.
  • Stewart Howarth
    edited January 2020
    I carried-out further tests today With a local station. With a key plugged in there is no delay whatsoever In CW mode. In SSB mode the transceiver goes in to transmit immediately the PTT is operated, but the audio and therefore RF output is delayed for around 1 to 1.5 seconds. No audio is missed-out, just delayed. Smart SDR reports latency as less than 1 millisecond.
  • Mike
    Mike Member
    edited April 2015
    I have experienced the same issue with mu 6300. When keying via the microphone connector, sometimes, the radio goes into transmit, but no audio (and, no power out). Microphone hard wired -- no switch. I have not noticed this happening in digital modes when keying via CAT command, but I'll be watching. --Mike, WV2ZOW
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    In SSB mode the transceiver goes in to transmit immediately the PTT is operated, but the audio and therefore RF output is delayed for around 1 to 1.5 seconds. No audio is missed-out, just delayed. Smart SDR reports latency as less than 1 millisecond.

Open the Settings->Radio Setup form.  Go to the Transmit tab.

Do you have any times set in the Timings section?

Also, disable all of the external PTT (ACC TX and TX Relay)) and see if the problem still exists
  • Stewart Howarth
    edited April 2016
    Hi Tim, There are no timings set. I'm away from home for around three weeks, but I'll check the other settings when I return, and report back.
  • Stewart, GM0GTU
    edited March 2017
    Problem now solved. I borrowed a Yaesu fist mic. to try, and the problem goes away. Plugging the YD 148 desk mic. back in and the problem re-appears. How weird is that?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Marginal PTT switch or wiring.  Not that weird at all.  Good thing is that you have isolated the issue to the 148.
  • Stewart, GM0GTU
    edited May 2015
    Tim, PTT worked fine. Just the audio delayed for 1 second or more. No audio missing. If the switch was dodgy then the PTT would have been intermittent, which it wasn't. Also where did that first second or so of audio go? It didn't go missing, just delayed. Still weird.
  • Stewart, GM0GTU
    edited May 2015
    The other point to note is that the 148 works fine with my Flex-5000, and my FT-736.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Do you have the 148 set for 50 or 600 ohm impedance?  It should be 600 ohms.
  • Stewart, GM0GTU
    edited May 2015
    600 Ohm Tim, not 5 Ohm
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I am not sure why one mic would show this type of issue with delayed audio over another unless there was a difference in the resistance of the PTT switch.
  • clint yates
    clint yates Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    i have the same  problem. it is doing it also in 1.5. key the radio and no audio. it does do it occasionally. but the other night it did it on a net when i was trying to read a paper on the air. i read the whole thing and didnt look up. needless to say that i didnt transmit any audio at all. normally i look at the watt meter to c if i am tx. sure wish this bug was fixed 
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    We first reported this BUG 6 months ago , I hope some day we can finally put this to rest, pretty frustrating when there some rare DX on a short band opening and the dang thing wont transmit. Bret WX7Y
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Clint - we are aware of the issue and have done some root cause analysis, but we were not far enough along on a fix to include it in the v1.5.0 release. Intermittent issues are the most difficult one to identify and fix.  Sorry about the delay.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Or when you unkey to find the other staton talking already.

Same situation with the issue of the tx audio buffer filling while receiving, causing a noise burst to be transmitted when first asserting PTT.

Reported months ago. Initially reported as fixed in 1.4, which was incorrect. Posts inquiring as to if it would be fixed in 1.5 have gone unanswered.

Eric
    K2CB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.