Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hercules MIDI with 6300

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William (and others,)

I Finally was able to export my latest version for the "Hercules DJControl MP3 LE MIDI".
    find it here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/npzj8hr3cvvkwg7/FLEXDJLEController%202015-03-26_1.zip?dl=0

I do NOT have the layout picture edited, so this is probably only useful for examining the codes and algorithms I used for various functions.  I have run out of time and need go get away from the computer.  But I wanted to let you see what I have done.  Almost all of the control buttons have different channel numbers than your controller.  But the utility programs make it easy to sort that out.

I have tried to document most of the things I have done.
    I learned how to use "Wireshark" to see the commands sent from the computer to the 6500 and that has sped up my command discovery.  I wish I had done that earlier.

I have not had time to look at your last two or three revisions.  I will do that on Friday, if I can, I am curious as to how you made the VFO work better, and how you swapped Slices.

I have added the following....
    New routines for Toggling & Clearing RIT & XIT, Line Out Mute, VOX,  VFO step from  10Hz or 50Hz, 

and added routines for:
    Switching RX Antennas from 1, 2 & RX_A;
    Swapping TX antennas from 1 to 2;
    Starting the ATU;
    Swapping Slice Frequencies (I haven't looked at yours, yet, but mine only swaps the frequencies, not the  modes or any other parameters.)

I plan to create a multiple option VFO step routine with at least three various steps after I look at your smoothing routine.

I have access to Lights and have implemented many of them as mode status indicators, except for the ones in the center of the board.

I took the Slowdown routine out, because this controller doesn't seem to need it.
    I perfected the mode changing routine and smoothed out the RIT/XIT frequency shift routines.

I am having trouble with Slice-B not initializing with a frequency until I "bump" it with the mouse.  Then it works fine, otherwise it sends the slice to 0.000MHz when I try to tune it.

I am nearing completion, but want your comments before I do a lot more.

I have dreams of the following:
    A Custom information panel with RF Power, SWR, S-Meter, etc. that I can move around the monitor;
    I would like to find a way to do radio and Controller discovery automatically.
    I would also like to find a way to set up a table that would allow quick midi mapping to reprogram the layout, or import custom setups for different boards.

I plan to take advantage of the "Shift" key for the 8 CW memory send keys.  Probably for control functions that need to be handy, but can be a step down a menu.  Perhaps TX Profiles, RX EQ ON/OFF, RX EQ Memory (swap between SSB & CW Mode RX RQ),  
    I have seen that there may be access in the API for APF Gain and Q.  I don't know if this is implemented yet, but if it is accessible  via the DJControl when it isn't even in SSDR, this might be really cool!

I am thinking that may even be able to momentarily re-purpose the any 9 volume controls and sliders for other functions, if I want to spend the time to develop the code.

I have come a long way with "Processing" and am finally starting to get the hang of it.
    I am starting to get the feeling that there is nothing I cannot do with this controller as long as I have the command code information and enough buttons!

Thanks for your encouragement.

Ken - NM9P
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ken,

I liked the way you did the toggles.  I may change mine to do similar.  Neat Idea to use Boolean.

I'm thinking of buying a small cheap DJ controller like this

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-Wireless-Handheld-Controller-Accelerometer/dp/B00BF82I9W/ref=sr_1_61?s=...

for remote laptop use.  Would anybody be interested in a smaller simple controller for remote use?

or this?

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Deck-Based-Touch-Sensitive-Platter-Switching/dp/B005QPDALK/ref=sr_1_...

And this one may be perfect for laptop use

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-CMD-Micro-Controller-Deck/dp/B00DW5NB4W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

William
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited March 2015
    I am interested...The surface pro 3 is an awesome remote device, small MIDI controller... Good combo

Now just need to get the VPN back up and running

Thanks again
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In the documentation available for all of these, there is usually a layout of the device with references to the MIDI Notes associated to the various buttons and controls.  There is available a cross-reference on the internet that gives the channel number (1-127) for each one of these controls.  (I didn't discover this until I had done mine the hard way!)  All that seems to me that would be needed would be to edit all the channel numbers in your program or mine and you are done!

BTW.  For mine, I simply installed the DJControl driver that I downloaded from the Hercules website.  I didn't install any of their other MIDI software, MIDI Mapping, etc.
    If a person installed their MIDI mapping software, you could possibly write your program with generic terms, or better yet, the MIDI Notes or control numbers, to refer to the channel numbers in the software's functions, and then write a series of MIDI Maps for the various DJ Controllers.  I am sure that many different brands and models could be adapted this way, or with the "brute force" method of editing the actual program.

I may pick up one of the inexpensive smaller ones for my laptop... or perhaps a Bluetooth one could be used with my iPad Air?

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    BTW William...
    Using Boolean on the toggles seemed like the "logical" thing to do!  (;P)

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If you guys keep going you will build a MIDI subsystem for controlling the rig.  Envision a recording studio mixer as a contest controller with multi computers and 6ks on the end.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I ordered this little guy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DW5NB4W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKI...

It should do all I need for remote ops.  Would be interested in what functions would be best to include for this one.

Here is a quick idea

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ok so I guess I am ruining the no knobs approach.  But this is just fun :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nice.  Looks like a great deal for the price.

I have been thinking about ordering the little one-knob job with all the buttons for $39!  That would be fun to play with when remote.  I got my DJ MP3 LE for $69 in January 2013, then it promptly went up to $99 or more.  I got lucky right after Christmas.

Your layout looks nice.  A few comments/suggestions:

Unless you have a 6700, RX Ant switches for both Slices at the same time, so having two buttons is probably redundant.  You might consider using one of them to cycle through the preamp/ATTN options similar to what I did with the RX_ANT button.  TX ANT, on the other hand, switches separately for each slice, according to my tests last night.

Once you have selected TX-A or TX-B i'm not sure that you really need two PTT buttons.  I reprogrammed one of them as a VOX on/off toggle. 

I don't see a master volume control.  though it isn't really necessary, I usually just leave mine on max anyway.  With two slice volumes, you have that covered.  (I might need the master volume, or at least a mute button, when I open my additional Slices on the 6500.)

I am not sure what you intend for the "A" and "B" buttons?  and you have two smaller ones with no function yet!  heaven forbid!  <grin>

The beauty of this is that if we want to change something, it only takes a few minutes to accomplish!  How neat is that!

Ken - NM9P.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ken,  Good ideas

The A/B switch is to switch which slice the mode encoder changes.  Maybe I should use this idea for all functions.  I Would save buttons.

Also, what do you think of a single button to select TX and PTT under each VFO.  Press the PTT under VFOB and it first switch the TX to that slice then turns on MOX? And Vice Verse for VFOA.

Also it will be here tomorrow so should have a alpha for it this weekend :)  So keep them ideas rolling.

William
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I thought about a combo A/B select / PTT with light-up feedback the other day and didn't try it.  I got stuck on other thornier issues in the programming.  It sounds like a good Idea.  My only thought is wondering what it would do to the rig or software to keep selecting 'A' or 'B' every time the PTT was pressed .... Try it and see.  (Perhaps someone from FRS could comment upon any adverse effects?)

I like the idea of a selectable mode encoder.  Sounds like it could be done with about four lines of code.

I have also considered multiple-use controls with a button toggling, or even cycling through more than two options.  I am certainly going to use the 8 function keys that already shift to an upper layer... I may convert them into Band up/dn and mode up/dn combos for each Slice. (How often would I need them?  And they would be side by side.)

I would certainly recommend adding both VOX control if you are running a Bluetooth headset, and ATU Tune, at least until they implement ATU memories.  I restart the ATU every time I change antennas, change modes, change TX from A to B, every time I change TX profiles, and others.  It would be nice to have a handy button on the controller.

I have found some of the APT documentation, but what I have found is a pain to wade through lots of code in order to pick out the commands.  I still haven't found a source of a simple description of all the available commands, parameters required/permitted, and the syntax required to activate them.  My best source so far has been using Wireshark to spy on the rig.  

From a brief look at the newer DJ controllers on Amazon, If I were n the market for a main shack controller, this is one I might like to see:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PMIDI200-Professional-Digital-Controller/dp/B002PFCW2W/ref=sr_1_196?s...

It has a lot more controls and buttons than most of the rest and looks like it is arranged nicely.  I do wonder if the main tuning knobs are too far from the bottom.
    At $175 it isn't a bad deal, but more than the cheapies.

Ken - NM9P
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I would like this one for a main rig http://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-DJ-CONTROLLER-CMD-STUDIO/dp/B00DW5NBVU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=musical-instr...

I heard the quality on these is great for the price

• KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited April 2015
    Amazon Prime is dangerous... it will be here tomorrow :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very nice.  I hadn't seen that one.  I like the way it is arranged, and it looks very solid.  But $199 is a little steep when I already have the Herc!  When the  Herc breaks, i'll be looking at one.

I DID just order this one...it looks like fun...especially when I am running portable on the laptop.  

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-Wireless-Handheld-Controller-Accelerometer/dp/B00BF82I9W/ref=sr_1_60?s=...

And it's within my "mad money" budget.

Ken - NM9P

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yea I'm not ordering one.  Just if I had to do it over.  I bought the Instinct not knowing if I could even get it to work.  So didn't want to spend a ton.  The Instinct is just fine for my needs.  I just need to weight the Jog wheels.

But bought the Behringer micro for my remote setup.  I don't like moving my shack equipment. 

At some point we should combine all of these in one location.  Maybe we could build a webpage that list downloads of the available controllers and help pages to brew your own.

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This is the piece of info I needed to decifer the buttons on midi maps.  I had no idea what C#1 was..LOL.  But it means C Sharp Octave 1 or pitch 25.  This chart makes it easy.   Every midi device should have a map that is downloadable from the website.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes. I just figured that out last night! I wish I had learned this before I started.... It would have saved me a bunch of time. There is a post somewhere on the Hercules site that had all of the notes layout on my unit, but I didn't think of looking them up on a chart like this. I had to solve it like a Sudoku puzzle! Ha!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very nice layout. I like it.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    hehe
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The controller Ken picked up was $111 off the regular price. Amazing and the unit has 2.4 gb wireless capability . If only it came in black, lol. Duane
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I just found this layout chart on the new one I will be receiving. It should be simple to remap my program for this one... image
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Just ordered a small brother  - Behringer CMD Micro DJ Controller with 2 Deck
    at Wednesday will play with new toy :-)
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    CMD Micro is alive.  Al functions mapped.  Still needs lots of testing before I post it.  Have to also get the LED's mapped.  But here is a sneak peak.

• KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited March 2015
    You are just cranking these out...How do you like the hardware? Better than the hercules?
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Its better built I think.  Its actual aluminum.  Buttons are a bit stiff, but I read the soften up with use.  Still tweaking the Jog wheels (so I will state opinion when I get them dialed in).  But its a quality built unit.

I will give a detailed review once I get it working the way I like.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William,
    I just found this excellent MIDI monitor recommended on the Hercules Technical Support site.

http://obds.free.fr/midimon/

It is really fast and gives lots of good information on each control activation.
    I just started playing with it.

Ken - NM9P

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks ken, I downloaded it, and it is great.  Thanks!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ok I have the CMD Micro working 100% with all functions.  I have to say the Behringer is FAR superior.  It just feels professional.  Jog wheels are heavier, and metal case.  I love it!!  It was a bit of work, as it does some things different.  But I figured it all out.  Just need to clean up the code, and I will post it.  But wont be today, I'm beat!

William
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This looks like a great way to add the knobs and buttons to SDR. Does the MIDI have the same issue as the ShuttlePRO of following the focus of the mouse or does it stay locked to the SDR program like the Flex Control would. So that if you change focus to a browser to look up a call would using the MIDI to tune or adjust volume etc. work or would it be making possible changes to the active browser window like the ShuttlePRO would?

If you get a chance to do another video if you could use landscape it would improve the presentation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.