Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My 1500 no longer keying externally

Don
Don Member
I really need help as I'm on a short vacation in western Panama (HP3) and before I could get my station in operation, I cannot seem to key my 1500 with an external key or keyer. Setup: PSDR ver. 2.7.2, Windows Vista on a Toshiba laptop. The 1500 works (puts out power) in Tune mode, or if I depress the MOX button.  Not band dependent, using CWU mode. I do have VAC installed in preparation for PSK31, but VAC buttons not activated.

I believe I have all the setting correct, but this might be the cause as I haven't used my 1500 much before this trip. The rig did work fine (fine = external keying worked fine), but it is possible I may have changed something.  Is there some setting that I am overlooking?  When I close the external key, nothing happens.  I can go through and give all my settings, but someone smarter than I am might just easily point out my error. Of course, time is of essence with this problem as I only have about 8-9 days left to operate from here.   Thanks, Don HP3/AE5K

PS - forgot to mention I also have VSP installed, but of course not being used for CW, only PSK31.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I presume you have the key connected directly to the radio.  Make sure you have the keyer configuration set correctly in the Setup form.

Also, does CWX work?

• Don
    Don Member
    edited March 2017
    Hi Tim, Thanks for reply.

Yes, CWX works fine.

Yes, I have straight key (right now) connected directly to the key jack on the 1500 front panel.

As to settings, they appear to be OK to me, but I've written down most (except those that are default or cannot affect keying), but cannot see a way of attaching a file to this reply and cannot seem to paste them into this message.

Don HP3/AE5K

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Try to drag and drop the file into the editor.
  • Don
    Don Member
    edited November 2014
    The drag and drop did not work for me.

Here's the file that I typed up copying from the screens: ( X indicates box checked)

HP3/AE5K Flex 1500 - PowerSDR v. 2.7.2  2014 Nov 04

General->Hardware Config - n/a
    General->Options:
      X Spur reduction
      X Disable split on band change
      DIGU 1500
      DIGL 1500
      X Strict DB import compliance
      Process priority: normal
      X Snap click tune
      USB Driver buffer: 2 out of 5 (conservative)
      Keyboard:
        X Enable shortcuts
        X Quick QSY
    General->Calibration - n/a
    General->Filters (default)
    General->RX2 - n/a
    General->Navigation
      Space navigator: X VFO control
    Audio->Primary
      Buffer size 2048
    Audio->VAC1 - n/a
    Audio->VAC2 - n/a
    Display - n/a
    DSP->Options (default)
    DSP->Image reject (default)
    DSP->Keyer
      CW pitch freq 600 hz
      Break in  X enabled
      Delay ms 300
      Connections:
        Primary: radio
        Secondary: none
      X Disable UI MOX changes
      Options:
        X Sidetone
        X 2-wire cable
        AGC/ALC - n/a
    Transmit
      Profiles: default
    PA Settings - n/a
    Appearance - n/a
    Keyboard - default
    CAT Control
      Enable CAT
      Port COM6
      Baud 57600
      Parity N
      Data 8
      Stop 1
      PTTControl - port COM7
      ID as PowerSDR
      DIGL 2125
      DIGU 2125
    Tests - n/a

NOTE: CW Memories and Keyboard seem to work fine and will key the transmitter.

Hope this might help.  If you deem any of the "n/a" entries are needed, just hollar.
    Don HP3/AE5K
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    The relevant  settings are in DSP->Keyer  Your list does not include all of them.

For paddles (3 wire) the following have the be checked or enabled

Iambic
    Sidetone
    Mode B
    Break In enabled with a delay value set for your fist speed and if you want QSK.

For a straight key (2 wire) connected to the back, you must un-check Iambic (turn off the internal keyer).

If you are using the com port to connect the keyer, the Secondary Connection should be the com port the keyer is connected to.

• Don
    Don Member
    edited November 2014
    Hi Tim,

In my previous list, in the interest of brevity, I did not mention items if they were NOT checked.  Therefore, using a straight key plugged into the FRONT (no back jack as you said), Iambic is not checked.  Here is the relative portion of my previous list:

DSP->Keyer
      CW pitch freq 600 hz
      Break in  X enabled
      Delay ms 300
      Connections:
        Primary: radio
        Secondary: none
      X Disable UI MOX changes
      Options:
        X Sidetone
        X 2-wire cable
        AGC/ALC - n/a

Iambic is also not checked on the screen display either.

Don - HP3/AE5K

• Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    I am not sure that is going on.  I would so a database reset and if that doesn't resolve the problem, open up a HelpDesk support ticket,  This could be a hardware issue.
  • Don
    Don Member
    edited November 2014
    TNX for the rapid reply, appreciated.  Will try that shortly and if reset works will let you know, else will start ticket.  As I said originally, the keying used to work but I thought I may have changed something in the settings that killed it.

• Don
    Don Member
    edited March 2017
    Tim, tried the database reset, still no luck.  Since the keyboard is working, I can still operate CW, but really prefer my keyer.  I will open up a HelpDesk support ticket, but only after I get home in more than a week.

Don  HP3/AE5K

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    OK Don.  We'll get to the bottom of it when you get back.  Have fun on your vacation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.