Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Real contesters use Flex-6000 series radios!

Stu Phillips - K6TU
Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
With the number of folks registered on the community I find it odd that people tell me:
 "I haven't heard of anyone using a FlexRadio 6X00 in a contest."
"People don't use FlexRadio 6X00 in contests because there are too many clicks."
Really?

Well, I think its past time to get the message out.

REAL CONTESTERS USE FLEX-6000 series RADIOS!

Because...
  • Excellent receiver
  • Brick wall filters
  • Less operator fatigue
  • Hears the weak ones right in with the strong ones
  • Clean transmitter
  • Ease of use
YES!  Especially the last!

I don't touch SmartSDR in a contest at all - everything is controlled via the FlexControl, iPad app (K6TU Control) and the logging program. 

No mouse, no clicks... just rate.

A suggestion...

If you use a FlexRadio in a contest, say so in the Soapbox and make sure the superiority of Flex-6000 series gets out!

Here was a nice surprise in the US Mail today...  a certificate from ARRL for 1st place 2013 Sweepstakes phone in Santa Clara Valley section - Unlimited High Power Phone.

Real Contesters use FlexRadio!

Stu K6TU

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Right on, Stu. First place, Nevada Section CW, low power also thanks to a Flex 6000 series! How many more?
  • Ted  WA3AER
    Ted WA3AER Member
    edited July 2015
    I've used both the Flex 3000 and 5000 noire for contesting. At other M/M operations, I've always wished for the panafall display and filters I have set up on my Flex. While I'm not as adept as Dry is with the Flex Control, the combination of that and my trackball doesn't slow me down. Now that the 6000 series exists and uses the PC entirely differently, I think we'll see more contesters using Flex. Change is difficult for some - consider how many still use CT! - and the M/Ms have a large, sunk investment in radios that will make for a slower changeover. Yes, we need to shout out that we are Flexers. Ted. WA3AER
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Right on, Stu.  I am a member of the Arizona Outlaws Contest Club and there are several of us using Flex radios, some of them the 6000 series.  I have used 3000 and 6000 Flex radios in the past.  Especially when you're doing search and pounce, having that panadaptor and mouse makes quick work of racking up multipliers.  Logging is a breeze.  I can't imagine anything else.

Yeah, I have been getting award certificates from years past as well.  I got a letter with the last on apologizing for the length of time it took to get the certificate out.

The rumor that Flex isn't a contest radio was likely started by Yaesu, Kenwood, or Icom.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Post a copy of your certificate please!
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I used the FLEX 6500 in the CQ WPX and even scored the best I ever did, contribute this to how good the radio is. My fatigue level after 20 solid hours was less. After I wore out one Freq I could see the strong stations and was easy to pick them out. CUDO's to FLEX for building kick **** radio.

Jim

WU5E

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Pleeeeeeeeeease shhhhhhhhhhhh!! We finally have an operational advantage over the Big Guns. Do we really want to give that up just to make a point? Let sleeping dogs sleep, they will wake up soon enough.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Congrats Stu. Love your app for the 6 k series radios.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Awesome and thank you!  If you have a moment, can you fire up the AppStore on your iPad and submit a review for K6TU Control?

I personally don't like the review nag boxes in some apps so I didn't put one in... as a result, I don't get many reviews! :-)

Stu K6TU
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    I am a new 6300 owner and so far have used the radio with n1mmplus in rsgb 6m contest and in another 80m ssb contest. Plans to do m2 in cqww ssb this weekend field day style ended yesterday when the stepper monster ir. Yagi failed along with other site issues, so had a listen around 40m ssb last night from home on the 6300 with a visiting friend who owns a k3 lp pan combo set up - he was impressed with the ability to hear the weak ones next to wide EU stations last night and loved the bandscope quality . I will be playing on 10m ssb today in order to put some more learning hours in using the 6300 with n1mm plus. My pro 3 has been relegated to monitoring 4m with the Tvtr and my ic7400 to 2m only now. This winter is being devoted to setting up and using. 6300 with n1mmplus for Hf and 6m contesting - then I will sort out a higher quality transverter for 4m to use with the 6300 next es season. So far I have had no difficulty operating contests with just the mouse, and on Friday night it felt a bit strange and awkward sitting in front of a ic7800 and ic7700 preparing for the contest and searching for the right buttons and knobs to adjust - felt lot better last night back on the 6300 playing listen for the weak ones next to the big ugly signals:-) Just need to get my head around dax and set up for rtty and Psk contesting next, once I have finished setting up wave files in n1mmplus. I will be interested to hear when anyone uses more than one flex with so2r in contests as I do want to return to so2r at some point for multi band contesting. Anyone. Doing this yet? Hopefully n1mmplus will further develop to take more advantage of the flex radio facilities for contesting over the next year as it's in my personal roadmap to buy a 6500 or 6700 once I have become fully converse with smartsdr use and set up . My ft1000d and ts590 both went to new homes in recent months to start raising the second flex funds:-) 73 Steve gw0gei
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    It is still early as it is raw data but I managed a #3 World in the 2014 CQ WW ssb low power 20M with the flex 1500. Can't wait to get the 6300 up and running.

Sal

8P9EH

EA4GLI
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Salvador,

Congratulations!  It takes operating skills and experience to place well in contests - much aided by the right tools for the job!

You will be very happy with the receiver in the 6000 series radios!
    Stu K6TU
  • Ted  WA3AER
    Ted WA3AER Member
    edited May 2020
    Gents, Real contesters using Flex Radios are not limited to the 6000 series users! There remain some real contesters using the legacy Flex radios as well. They are still VERY capable radios. I had lots of contesting fun starting with my 3000, and it continues with the 5000. YES, if I had the $$ I might upgrade to a 6500 or 6700; but the 5000 is no slouch. I thank Flex Radio every day I turn mine on. 73 Ted WA3AER
  • ik2egl
    ik2egl Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    imagine to run contest without  panadapeter and daxIQ skimmer,  would you be able to run so fast run mode and in search and pound mode ?

73 Don ik2egl

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Ted - an excellent and timely reminder!  I still have records that I set with my 5000!

Stu K6TU

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You were having fun making the video!! 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.