Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX audio outboard processing for SSB/AM

Don  "KC5YR"
Don "KC5YR" Member
edited September 2018 in New Ideas

Granted, DAX is primarily intended for the digital modes.  Many Flex 6K users are also using it effectively for remote operations.   KY6LA has a current thread discussing his method.

Perhaps DAX has merit for another purpose...

http://www.k4qky.com/audio-handling/digital-audio-processing-for-the-flex-6300 describes K4QKY's scheme for outboard software based transmit audio processing for the phone bands utilizing the Flex-6300's DAX capability.

What do you think?

Don
K4QKY

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Been doing the same thing independently the day DAX was introduced. I use a Romac equalizer to fine tune the audio so that it sounds terrific both transmit and receive.

Jim, K6QE

• Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Is there delay on the audio compared to not using DAX?

73 de Mike W9OJ
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Good question:

I am noticing anywhere between a half second and second delay in the audio I listen to locally to the audio I listen to over a wide area network. I am using Remaud to transport the DAX audio remotely over the Internet. However, once one gets use to it, the delay is quite easy to live with. Hopefully, all this will go away when Flex delivers the "promised land."

Jim, K6QE

• Don  "KC5YR"
    Don "KC5YR" Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for your reply Mike...

No perceptible delay with Breakaway Live set to the "low latency" setting as discussed in my article.  Alternatively,  you can enable  ASIO4ALL driver but I prefer not to.   If using other software based systems such as Ableton Live or the Live Professor VST plugin host,  the ASIO4All driver is typically necessary. 

Don

K4QKY 

p.s. more about ASIO4ALL at http://www.asio4all.com/
  • Don  "KC5YR"
    Don "KC5YR" Member
    edited June 2014
    Jim...

For now, my software based tx audio processing with DAX audio  scheme is solely for the LAN and therefore not plagued by latency  issues such as what you experience over the WAN.   I join with you in hopes that FlexRadio is addressing this matter. 

Don

K4QKY
  • Don  "KC5YR"
    Don "KC5YR" Member
    edited June 2014
    Jim...

I'd be interested to know if Romac has effectively alleviated my perceived low end pre-emphasis issue that I discuss at length in my article.    If so, please post a screen shot of your Romac settings to this thread.  

Thanks and 73,

Don

K4QKY
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The article referenced is no longer available.  Can anybody point me to instructions on making a virtual connection between my soundcard (PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL with mic connected) and SmartSDR for use in SSB/AM modes?

Thanks & 73,
    Barry N1EU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.