Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Idea to visualize RIT and XIT - add lines

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Using the RIT and XIT functions might be easier if we could visualize the offsets.  Here is an idea that could help.  Add an option to drop lines for each, see the picture below.  I think the XIT line would be very useful for working splits.  I'd use both RIT and XIT lines all of the time  but in case others don't like the lines, provide an option to turn them off.

I'm curious to see if others also think this is a good idea.  Your thoughts (and pluses) are welcome.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

CLICK to enlarge.....lines are not accurately placed, just meant to illustrate the idea.

2 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I would find some kind of visualization of RIT & XIT to be very helpful.  It might make it unnecessary to use two slices to work many splits. 

I would also like to see a "reverse" or "TX-monitor" or "RIT=XIT" button that allows us to quickly monitor our transmit frequency when using XIT.  That would really be nice!

For example, press a button and it turns on both XIT & RIT and links them together.  Find the frequency you wish to transmit on and hit another button and it drops the RIT back to zero.  Then if I want to listen to the TX frequency, hit the button again and RIT = XIT, etc...

My TS-850 had a button for RIT and another for XIT and only one knob.  it I move 1.2 KHz up with the XIT, I could just hit the RIT button to listen to that freq.  Then hit RIT button again and I was back on main frequency.

Something like that would be a nice touch.  Especially if linked to a visual indicator on screen of the offset frequency.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken,
    Agree with having a "swap XIT=RIT" toggle.  Maybe you should add it as another idea, I'd give it a vote. 

Along those lines when using 2 slices to work split, it would be nice to be able "cycle mute" back and forth between the 2 slices with a single button click.  (sounds like another idea .....hihi)

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Absolutely!  I was going to suggest something like this as well but you beat me to it Al. :)

Unfortunately I have not been on the radio as much as I would like as I am plagued by the sporadic NF increase issue.  Not sure what I will do during the ARRL CW contest this weekend.

Greg

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
      Flex does create a line for XIT transmit position in PowerSDR, so they have shown
    an appreciation for its usefulness.  They also create a line for transmit split (vfo B)
    and allow you to monitor that frequency by selecting MultiRX.  Very useful in PSDR.

Ned,  K1NJ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ned, Good info and some support for adding it for SSDR too.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com 
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Dotted or dashed lines please for the RIT/XIT.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Charles,
    How about this?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I use another slice but this idea sounds GREAT

The dotted lines are much easier to see too.

I'll vote twice to see this implemented.  (I'm from Chicago)

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I really like the dotted/dashed line idea!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I also like the dashed lines.  It makes it easier to differentiate between the main frequency.  Having it a different color also helps.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Very nice,Al. I like it a lot. With the Flex Control Knob this would be the cat's meow. ESPECIALLY if the XIT could show the + or - relative frequency in a little box above the noise floor so we really know where we were relative to the DX in split operation. If the DX said "up 1.5" we could use the Flex control knob and visually see in a little box "+1.50". How sweet would that be?
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    One extra comment. The XIT relative offset box would follow the XIT dashed line as it moves up and down in frequency. No more having to mentally add the desired offset to the VFO frequency in your head, you'd always know where your transmit frequency was visually. Yes, oh yes.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I usually do too, when I want to do stereo splits, one in each ear.  But there are times I may not have a slice to spare.... Heck, I only have 4 of them! (;b)

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    At the risk of being accused of "piling on" I like the dashed lines as well....
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Using Al's graphic, the annonated RIT XIT on the panadapter would look something like this.image
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Cool idea, +1 for the dashed lines.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Charles,
    The numeric offsets look good.  I wonder if it would be better to move them down to the bottom of the lines (just below the noise floor).   

Hope this makes the list, it would be really nice for splits when just using one slice.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I'd rather have them out in the clear by themselves so our eyes and brain don't have to pick them out from the other "numeric QRM" on the bottom border. Thanks for introducing this refinement Al, I think everyone would find this useful.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    SSDR V1.2.1 -- Thanks for adding the RIT/XIT visualization, it looks good and works well.  Especially nice when used with the FlexControl.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.