Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connecting DAX to my physical sound card / PC speakers

Keith - KE4TH
Keith - KE4TH Member
edited February 2019 in DAX
How do I connect DAX to my physical sound card to get the receive audio over the PC speakers? DAX is installed and working great with fldigi for digital modes. I'm running Windows XP with SP3. Thanks, Keith KE4TH

Answers

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Keith, you can simply select the check box here(Set as Playback):
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited August 2015
    Sergey - how do I get to the DAX audio properties window shown above? Thanks, Keith
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited March 2017
    Please remember I'm using Windows XP, SP 3. Thanks again!
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Right-Click on the speaker in the system tray and choose recording devices or playback devices depending on if you want to listen to RX or TX.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well Keith, i am on Win 7 64, but i remember no big different with Audio device setup in windows, pls follow with video, i guess on XP will be similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcb5QGoo_Nc
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited March 2017
    Robert - my Creative sound card has changed the options available from the system tray, so I don't have the Recording Devices option as shown above. I have located the Control Panel sounds settings, and changed the default device there to the DAX channel. This has not produced any audio on the speakers, which of course are attached to the Creative sound card. I can see the DAX channel is working (showing level changes) in the DAX control panel, and it works fine with fldigi in digital modes. Maybe this is a Windows XP issue. Regards, Keith.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Then you are not going to be able to do it. You have to be running Windows Vista or higher to get this feature.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It is a limitation of the XP sound interface. You do not have the option to route DAX audio to your speakers.
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Tim. Time to upgrade from XP!
  • Greg Zenger [N2GZ]
    edited December 2016
    It is time to upgrade, as Win XP is not going to be supported by microsoft after Apr 8, 2014. However you could do what you want to do with Virtual Audio Cable software (not free) from Eugene Muzychenko.
  • G4BIM
    G4BIM Member
    edited January 2015
    Have setup as described above and it works fine. But I would like to be able to analyse the outgoing transmit audio, so need to capture the TX audio streaming out on the headphone socket on the 6700, so that the monitored audio I am listening to on the headphones, is also available via DAX to look at on software analysis programs. Any ideas regards Peter G4BIM
  • N9YS
    N9YS Member
    edited February 2014
    I have Windows 7, but I do not have the "Listen" tab shown in the first post.  There is General, Levels, and Advanced; but not Listen.
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Any body see the same problem on Win7, via VMWare? MixW works great; just no audio out to speakers.
    I DO have listen checked and this same setup worked in v1.0.24.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I, too, have Windows 7, and have no "Listen" tab, only General, Levels, and Advanced. What do I do to get audio out of the computer's speakers? This is NOT solved. I need this for Parallels to work with sound.
  • N9YS
    N9YS Member
    edited April 2014
    I solved it for my system and I presume it's consistent with other users.  The Listen tab isn't directly available by clicking on the speaker icon in the system tray or the sound control panel, you have to get to it indirectly.

If you right-click on the speaker icon in your system tray, you will get a menu similar to the one shown about a half-dozen comments up.  Select "Recording Devices" and you should get a menu with a list of sources, such as Microphone, DAX Audio RX1, DAX Audio RX2, etc.

If you have set your Flexradio SDR software to output to DAX Channel 1, then right click DAX Audio RX1 and call up Properties.  This is where you will see a Listen Tab and you can set the checkbox to "Listen to this Device".  At this point, you get audio from the DAX onto PC speakers.

The key here seems to be ignore any "Reserved" TX or RX channels, then recording devices are actually the 8 RX channels and the playback devices are the 8 TX channels.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    OK thanks, got it working

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.