Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why is SmartSDR CAT always on Task Bar?

Bill - K7UOP
Bill - K7UOP Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR CAT
Wondering why SmartSDR CAT resides in the Task Bar. Wouldn't it be better when minimized or the Hide button is clicked that it go to the System Tray (like DAX)?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    SmartSDR CAT is on the task bar to make it more convenient to access for configuring virtual serial ports. It was originally hidden in the system tray and we received user complaints about it not being easily accessible.
  • Bill - K7UOP
    Bill - K7UOP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Guess everyone has their 'druthers'. I'd rather have it out of the way. Once ports are configured it's not used very much. As people get used to having DAX in the System Tray maybe they could live with CAT down there too. ???
  • W1RE
    W1RE Member
    edited October 2018
    I have to agree with Bill. I would prefer SmartSDR CAT to live in the Tray. Even if you think the Tray is not the best place, having the DAX in one and CAT in the other is totally inconsistent IMO. - Bob
  • Greg Zenger [N2GZ]
    edited December 2016
    I agree that the system tray is the proper place for a configuration utility. It should be minimized to the tray, not to the taskbar. In addition, it would be nice if SDR, DAX and CAT had different colored Icons so they could be easier to tell apart...
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Perhaps a user selectable option, to hide either or both to the tray, for those that like that behavior might be possible.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Until there are user selectable options in SmartCAT and SmartDAX, Some of us might be interested in a workaround provided by some software I found on GitHub. It's called rbtray-code.

The way it works is, first run the RBTray.exe file, then you can minimize most windows to the tray by simply right clicking either the minimize button on the window , or by holding down a Shift key and right clicking the window title bar itself.

Afterwards a left click on the tray icon will restore that window back to the desktop and taskbar, or a right click on the tray icon, will provide a menu to manually select to either restore the program, or close the program directly from the tray icon, or completely exit RBTray.  

I've been using it for the last week without mishap.

You can download a zip file that contains source code and both 32 and 64 bit exe's of rbtray-code at ...

https://github.com/benbuck/rbtray-code/archive/master.zip

the project URL is ...

https://github.com/benbuck/rbtray-code

It may not be a perfect solution, but it might do until we have one.

I just pinned a shortcut to the RBTray.exe to my taskbar for easier starts and restarts, but I suppose you could place that shortcut in your Start Up folder too. 

There is no installer, just create a new folder somewhere and copy/extract the RBTray.exe. and RBHook.dll files to it. then create a shortcut to the exe.

Everything else in the zip file is either source code or doc's. 

I don't know if it's necessary but, I've been running it with Admin privileges.

BTW, I'm using it with Windows 10 successfully.

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.