Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Digital Mode Headache

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Using fldigi and DAX.....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It worked in the beginning, Now, it mostly doesn't work. I have tried rebooting everything, to no avail. I install, uninstall, and reinstall DAX RX/TX 1. Nothing seems to matter. Either I am doing something incredibly dumb, or there is some kind of problem. Am I the only one experiencing this? (Yes, I have checked fldigi audio and radio settings, for those who are about to ask)

Comments

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Dave, When you say doesn't work, are not seeing the frequency displayed, no seeing anything in the waterfall of FLDigi, or just fails to come up and what kind of error when this happens?
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    FLDigi is working fine,. Frequency display is correct, waterfall working, PTT engages, just no modulation. Here are my flDigi settings
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Dave, There is a "SmartSDR.xml" file on the FlDigi site. Written by Tim, I think. http://www.w1hkj.com/xmlarchives.html I have no idea what the difference might be. Ned, K1NJ
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    If you've re-installed DAX, there's a good chance there are a BUNCH of ghost audio devices still in the Device Manager.They seem to remain after an uninstall, even after rebooting. Try uninstalling DAX again, then rebooting, then going to Device Manager (Windows Control Panel). Ensure you select View -? Show Hidden Devices. Delete every last DAX device. Reboot. Reinstall DAX. You may need to re-configure FLDigi to get the new devices to "stick." Good luck!
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    How do you reinstall DAX? I thought DAX was part of the 1.0.24 beta install and not a separate entity like SmartCAT.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Just for the heck of it, try a different DAX channel. I have a problem with CH1. But whith Ch 5 it works fine. This is with DXLabs, not FLDigi. 73 Greg AB7R
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    George, I did as you said, I opened Device Manager and deleted all DAV references under Sound.then rebooted. Boy has this gotten me in trouble. Now, whenever I reboot the computer I get the error message "DAX has stopped working" Looks like I have a mess. What next: reinstall SmartSDR 1.0.25?
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Dave, George's advice worked for me. After doing his suggestion HRD, in my case works flawlessly.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I deleted all SmartSDR, CAT and DAX from Control Panel and downloaded a fresh SmartSDR. I made sure there was no remnants Smart anything any where.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    I had the same problem until I UNCHECKED the RIGCAT Box in the Fldidi RIG window. Everything was rebooted and works good. Also, I opened the SmartSDR.xml file in the RIG window. Saved the Fldidi configuration before I rebooted.
  • Roger Rockwell/na4rr
    Roger Rockwell/na4rr Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Once I got fldigi settings to work I have not changed them. If I just quit smartcat and then re-start smartcat most of the time this alone will make fldigi start working again. If not, next I toggle DAX on and off. For the last couple of days doing one or both of these have worked. roger
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Dave, you are using com24 for RigCat, however, it should be the com port that is created when you first install SmartCAT. In my case it is com4 as that is the CAT port directly to the radio. To confirm what that port is open SmartCAT and under the main tab look at what is displayed in the "Connect 3rd Party Program to Port". That is the CAT port you want to use in fldigi. Second, as already mentioned you need SmartSDR.xml not PowerSDR.xml. I also use Hardware PTT where I created a PTT port through SmartCAT and assigned RTS as active. I then enabled Hardware PTT in fldigi specifying the lower port number of the pair created for PTT and the I checked "Use separate serial port PTT" and also checked "Use RTS". You can use this or stay with the "CAT command for PTT" in the RigCAT tab in fldigi. As far as what to do since it doesn't work now, I would uninstall SmartSDR and SmartCAT, reboot, and then reinstall both. Hopefully you should be ok after this. Don
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    close this one out for me,fldigi working fine with SmartSDR now. The simplest problems can turn out to be a headache.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.