Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RX Equalizer tailored for CW

2»

Comments

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Al, that will work
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Here is a short video clip of the RX Equalizer used on CW as it exists today. You should be able to hear the difference when it is toggled ON and OFF. http://youtu.be/Brrd8iA7AlA Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim - W4TME Eric - KE5DTO Steve - N5AC Can we get some FRS feedback and a disposition on this idea? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ Automatically track the PITCH, use sliders to control the peaking width.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Al, thanks for your idea. There is nothing to report at this time. We take all ideas that have been voted up in the Community and consider them for inclusion once a planning period. Right now we are working very **** achieving the roadmap deliverables for SmartSDR v1.1 so we are not speculating about new features until later.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    AL, I like this idea better than the other one with EQ steps every 50 Hz. Tracking the CW Pitch is the way to go. I still think that 2 simple sliders, one for width (from 250 Hz to 5 Hz) and one for "Gain" (flat to 30 dB or 40dB) would be easier to adjust. Like this: [Break-IN] [Iambic] [Pitch] [< 650 >] APF Width..[150 Hz].....[250 : : : : : : [|] : : : : : : : : : : : : :5] APF Gain....[ 20 dB].....[0 : : : : : : :: : : : : : : [|] : : : : : : 30]
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim, I figured that even though the idea got votes, it needed to be marked as "under consideration" to be considered. Maybe it's just my confusion on the process. For example here are some that are listed as "under consideration." The "RX Equalization" idea has been posted for a about 3 weeks but not categorized. It looks like there are 3 categories: - under consideration - completed - not planned But some ideas seem to remain un-categorized for a long time while others more recent get categorized. . Can you clarify the idea consideration process and how ideas get on "the list. Regard, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    If it is something that someone in management at FlexRadio has previously said we plan to do or development has tentative plans to do it in the future, then it is marked as under consideration. Until that time it is not under consideration until it is considered by development.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken, I like your idea too. One potential downside is that is doesn't support the ability to negatively impact the frequencies outside the peaking range. (i.e. up to -10db for frequencies you don't want to hear) Another reason I suggested the same equalizer control was from a coding perspective it might be easier for FRS to implement it using the same control. So easier might mean faster to deliver and more likely to be considered. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim, Yes, that is why I figured it should be marked considered. See the 2 separate comments here in the post from Gerald where he indicated it could be done and was being considered. Regads, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2020
    It is software so a lot of things "can" be done which is a true statement. Just because it can be done is not an implicit indication that it is under serious consideration as a SmartSDR feature. We are early in the software development game. Please be patient.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My assumption, perhaps poorly expressed, is that the "APF gain" control would simultaneously peak the desired frequency and cut the undesired frequencies. So if it was set for "10 dB" it would peak the center by 5 dB and drop the rest by 5 dB. A setting of "20 dB" should peak the desired signal by 10 dB and cut the signals outside the skirts by 10 dB, etc... until we get to about 30 or 40 dB total peak & cut...(or perhaps it should cut more than it peaks, perhaps a 1/3 by 2/3 split....so that raising the APF gain doesn't make the desired signal way too loud compared with the same signal without the APF?) Perhaps "APF Sharpness" would be a better term, so as to avoid confusion...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It's all a matter of ones & zero's, isn't it... if you have enough ones & zeros! Ah, but there's the rub....
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    W5UN, Dave, has been raising Cain that we need an APF as good as, or better than the one in the K-3...for some time.... We hard core weak signal CW guys got a glimmer of hope from Gerald when he told Dave, W5UN, in person, something like 'oh, like the inverse of a notch filter ?' If the ANF ( auto notch filter ) can automatically find and notch a carrier on ssb..... 1 / f(x), enabled on cw ?? ok, ok it can't possibly be that easy... 73
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gerald, Thanks for entering this as user story ID: US2051 in the log. And thanks for the clarification that this idea should be marked as "under consideration" because it has been entered as a user story. User stories get reviewed during the release planning stage. Many of us CW DXers thank you for the consideration and will be looking forward hearing more when it gets reviewed. Tim, It was nice talking with you at the Hamfest over the weekend and I'm sure you are still catching up. Thanks in advance for updating this to "under consideration." Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.