Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Something Broken after 3.8.19 Upgrade Attempt

Operate my Flex 6400 in NJ remotely from FL. Up visiting in NJ for a few days and thought I would do the 3.8 upgrade while here. In June I did the 3.74 upgrade in a matter of minutes; it worked really well. Installed 3.8.19 in the laptop but attempting to install on radio and SmartSDR gives me an error msg that says radio and pc must be on same network….they are. Cold booted radio—same problem. Did a factory reset—same problem. Tried reinstalling 3.74–same problem. Have to return to FL in a couple of days; thoughts on what to do next greatly appreciated.
Tony N2SS

Comments

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

It really does sound like they're on separate subnets. I'd open a support ticket. Tim or Ken will get it straightened out.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭✭

I wonder, when you sitting next to your Flex radio, if you can directly connect your laptop and radio with an RJ-45 network cable? If you're using a laptop with USB-C only, you may want to grab a USB-C to RJ-45 dongle from Amazon for a couple of bucks. A direct connection eliminates any switches, etc.

If your laptop acquired a different WiFi subnet-IP than you radio, then perhaps a mix of wired (Flex radio) and wireless (laptop) will never work for you. Even wired-through-equipment may introduce an issue, which this direct connection will sidestep.

In the past, I've also questioned whether or not an update "took" properly in my Flex radio. Usually this is when the progress-bar hangs around 95% completion of Step 2. I really wanted to "re-flash" the upgrade, but I couldn't see a way to do this. So… I downgraded to the immediately previous version, then re-upgraded to the latest (usually with reboots / resets in-between). Once I get a "clean" progress-bar to full completion, I feel better. That incomplete-update and forced reboot seems to work, but I never fully trusted it. I only mention this because you may want to make certain your upgrade goes fully and smoothly before you leave the remote site.

HTH!

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Tony, can you give us the IP address of both devices? It does sound like they are on different subnets and by providing the IP address, it provides some clues as to what is happening.

Gord's ideas are good as well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.