Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise reduction in v3.8.19

I have noticed first,with v3.7.4 that the AGC-T seems to not to be able to bring the noise floor down to a noticeable setting until it was on 10 or so. Now, with v3.8.19, I can set the slider to zero and the noise floor is still very noticeable. And on top of that, the Noise Reduction does not work as well as it did previously. Even with the slider set all the way to it's highest setting. ( all the way to the right) Something has changed and for me, it has actually become worse. I have even tried using the Squelch which works well on strong signals. But, tends to break up the audio on weaker signals.

I have compared this to other radios I have and there is an obvious difference. I don't believe it is a hardware problem. But, possibly something in the code that needs tweaking.

James

WD5GWY

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

James

Can you open a support ticket on this please.

thanks

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Mike,

The reason I have not opened a Help Desk ticket for this is because I figure it is a software issue. I have not tried a factory reset. ( maybe I should give that one more try)

I figured everyone is super busy right now. So, I was hoping that someone had the same problem and had solved it. That's why I posted about it.

I will try a factory reset and see if that makes a difference. If not, I will open a Help Desk ticket.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Even if it is software as we are working on 3.9 right now. thanks

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭✭

HI James… I just gave it a try on my 6700 and I'm not seeing what you're seeing. On mine, the AGC-T is operating pretty much the same as it did in the past — with a noise floor of between S3 and S5/6 on most of the bands, turning AGC-T down to 50 or so makes the 3db difference suggested and turning it all the way down to 0 kills all the sound.

As I say, pretty much the same as it used to work. I do note, however, that the attack times seem a bit different for the FAST and MED settings — in a good way for me.

I'm also not seeing a difference in NR function (at least for me).

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Thanks again Mike. I did a full Factory reset and now everything is working much better. AGC-T drops the noise floor down to near nothing at or around 12 on the slider with it set to Medium ( default setting) This is on 40 meters. I will go through all the bands and get my settings back.

Thank you for your continued support.

James

WD5GWY

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Don, you must live in a rural area. Here in the city my noise floor on 80 and 40 meters is a consistent S5 to S7. The higher bands drop off to S5 or a bit lower. So, good noise reduction is important to me. I have traced most of the sources of the interference to other homes in my neighborhood. Knowing the folks in this area like I do, if it doesn't cause them problems, they are not interested in doing anything about it. So, instead of getting into arguments with my neighbors, I try to find ways ( besides wire cutters) to handle the noise.

When we lived in the country the noise floor was so low that the only noise was actual band ( natural) noise. S2 was the norm. But, getting old and needing to be near things like medical services and grocery stores, helped us decide to move to the city. So, I try different radios and other things to help control my local noise. Flex Radio and SmartSDR does a good job overall. And in spite of a few things, my favorite radio. I also own a Anan 8000DLE and use the Thetis software with it. Fantastic noise reduction. But, the manufacturer of the Anan radios is extremely unreliable. Flex Radio is 100% better when it comes to customer support. I recently picked up a Yaesu FTDX-10 at a hamfest just to see for myself how good it's noise reduction works. I have been completely shocked at how good the noise reduction is in this little radio. It makes every radio I own other than the Anan 8000DLE, look primitive with it's noise reduction. It is just as sensitive to weak signals, immune to interference from close in signals, no overloading at all. What I don't like is the crowded front panel with all the knobs and buttons crammed up close around the VFO. That and the jumpy spectrum line with no averaging. ( which can be minimized by turning down the level control) But, in spite of all that, my 6600M is still my favorite. And Flex Radio is my favorite Amateur radio equipment manufacturer. I have to look at the whole package to know what works best for me. And Flex Radio still checks all the boxes for me.

James

WD5GWY

but, to be clear, I will point out things I feel are not receiving the attention I feel they deserve.

YMMV

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

One final thing, when I initially installed v3.8.19 my EQ settings got reset to zero. And I didn't notice that had happened. After I did the factory reset, I knew that all my original settings were reset. I didn't import my settings because I was not sure that something in my settings were causing the problem I was experiencing.

Once I checked the EQ settings and noticed they were set to zero, I went through everything and reset my old settings. My hearing is such that I have found turning down 1K and 2K to-10, clears up the background noise I hear. I boost the other settings in such a way that everything sounds good and clear (to me).

The noise reduction is not perfect. But, so much better now. I am glad I didn't waste the Help Desk's time opening a ticket when not needed.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW

Glad you got it figured out.

You wouldn't be wasting their time, but in fact really helping in case someone else reported the same issue.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

I guess I could email Ken Wells and tell him of my issue and solution.

James

WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.