Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Router (ASUS RT-AX-86-U Pro)

KG5PTE
KG5PTE Member ✭✭

Well my older ASUS RT-AX-82-U Router went bad. And I had the smart link working with no problems. But now that I have to switch routers. I need to get my smart link back up. On tthis router I open up my router control panel. And then go to advanced settings WAN and select virtual server-port forwarding. And then I turn on Port forwarding. Now do I need to add a profile ? Here is a screen shot of what I see. I just need the correct info. please

Answers

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭✭

Good morning James @KG5PTE

I don't know your ASUS router, and I don't know your network-setup, but I'll take a stab (which, I'm hoping, will be helpful 😀)

First - for port forwarding, you'll want a fixed-IP address for your FlexRadio. Typically you can do this on your (new ASUS) router by reserving a DHCP address. Another way is to set the address directly in the Flex radio. But either way, for Port Forwarding, you must know the radio's IP address and it must not change, and it must never conflict with another network-device.

Second - let's look at your "Custom Configuration" section.

• Service Name - a human-readable label that reminds you why you created this rule. Maybe something like SmartSDR (Flexradio) TCP
    • Protocol - first let's do TCP
    • External Port - 4994
    • Internal Port - 4994
    • Internal IP Address - this is where you must insert your fixed FlexRadio IP-address

Third - repeat the above steps for Port 4993, UDP, with a name perhaps like SmartSDR (Flexradio) UDP.

You ask about creating a "Profile" and I do not see why you would need something like that. The basics I outline ought to get you going. Please let us know how you make out with this, and GOOD LUCK!

Hope this helps,

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

This sounds complex. I’m glad the stock router installed by Spectrum works without issue without touching it.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14

I don't use the Default 4993 / 4994 Ports going to the WAN because I have two separate radios I use here, I ALSO DON'T use the "Quick Select" function because ASUS doesn't have a Clue what a FLEX Radio is.

Looks like I cut off the 2nd Flex radio TCP Info in the picture but you get the idea.

When you bring up "SmartLink" it will tell you what Port Number to use!

The 6700A UDP External port assigned by "SmartLink" is 22000, internal port 4993 and the 6700A TCP External port assigned by "SmartLink" is 21000, internal port 4994

At the bottom of the main page there is a "ADD PROFILES" click this to add you Radio's SmartLink information so the Router will save your settings and be sure it show on the Virtual Server" in the WAN section of the main screen.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭

I got my Flex 6400 plugged directly into the number 4 port on the back of my router. And have set the IP to "Static" (Not DHCP) and on my ASUS router I set the MAC/IP Binding switch to on. I can understand why you wont to use a static IP address. But according to what I read if UPnP is turned on that that should be all you need. But the smart link test is not passing. So now I guess I need to setup the port forwarding.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

James, it is best to Manual assigned DHCP IP address to the MAC address of the Radio in the Router and leave the radio set for DHCP, If you don't either set the Device for Static addressing or Manual assign the Radio's IP address to your desired IP address then a lot of times another device grabs the unassigned IP then you be wondering WHY it doesn't work.

I have seen UPnP a lot of times fail when you need it the most and it is a lot more stable when you manually set the Port forwarding and have the Router assign the IP.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.