Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Squelch Function

I have used the squelch functioning in the third party FRStack3 program for quite a while now. It works great. I like that flex has begun implementing it here.

My ONLY question is WHY NOT IN DIGU/L modes. I use those not USB for 99% of everything.

I would like to see it added the the DIGU/L modes as well, only makes sense. Or I guess I will have to continue with third party software.

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

It was decided that using Squelch in a digital mode would hinder the reliability of decoding.

There was a lot of discussion regarding that and CW and in both cases, based on a very large committe that would cause more problems with loss of hearable information.

If you can come up with a good use case as to why Squelch would be a good thing in digital modes, please share. And, to be fair, why Squelch in digital modes is a bad idea.

We need to see both sides.

• reed
    reed Member ✭✭

My two cents:

• Digital modes and CW probably shouldn't use squelch since in general for those modes we want to pull out every last piece of fringe signal possible
    • It's reasonable to still offer the squelch functionality in those modes if somebody wants to use it for whatever reason

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

What would be the use of squelch when using WSJT-X?

The only thing I can think of is if you want to work only strong stations and ignore the weaker ones.

Does anybody do that?

• reed
    reed Member ✭✭

Maybe not WSJT-X, but I could see somebody setting up squlech on DigU mode for SSTV, where they might not want to bother capturing an image that is going to be 90% noise.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 15

Glenn…on what digital modes do you find squelch useful?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Most SSTV modes have a squelch built into the image capture and start on the Sync signal.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.