Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 RFkit-S network possible?

Im new to the Flexradio scene and find it fantastic. I have the 6600 on network plus a PGXL, all is fine. Im adding an RFkits 2KS amp, it has an Ethernet port. This may replace PGXL or add to the shack's 2nd antenna system.

The RFkits paper to interface to the Flex 6600 is saying I will use the USB port between the radio and the RFkits amp. I was hoping to be all Ethernet. Is this correct?

Will the RFkits amp show up on the SSDR program to control it from there? Thanks for the help on this…

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

For the RFKit, you will have to use the USB Port on the Flex to RS232 to the RS232 input on the RFKit. I don't think they have done an Ethernet interface yet, but you can ask on the RFKit email group as there is a lot of Flex users on it.

• NR4O
    NR4O Member ✭✭

It is possible to have the RF-Kit amp track the Flex radio frequency. But, it requires a helper application to send properly formatted OTRSP radio info UDP packets that sends the radio frequency to the RFkit. Applications like N1MM+ and FR Stack ( https://www.mkcmsoftware.com/Flex/Index ) can be used to send the UDP packets. You also will need to have a RealVNC connection that remotely displays the RFKit screen in a window on your desktop.

No need to use the USB connection to the RFKit, although that works directly with the Flex radio. No helper application required.

As Mike said, you can get more info on the RFKit groups.io forum(b26-pa.groups.io).

Eric - NR4O

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I will add that with a Raspberry Pi on the network, you can load Nod Red server on the Pi, then load the Flex Radio flow and RF Kit flow, both which I have authored. Then set the 2KS to get radio info via UDP. The two Node Red flows will get the Flex TX frequency and translate to properly formatted UDP packets to the amp.

The Pi can be anyplace on the network. Advantage is other equipment in the shack (rotor control, AC relays, etc) can also be connected to the Pi. Node Red can be accessed from any web browser and with the 2KS allows antenna switching as well as forward power and reflected power metering.

Bonus, there is a flow for the PG XL also.

More info on the Node Red for Ham Radio group. Oh and the Flex Radio flow works with the 6000 and 8000 series radios.

https://groups.io/g/nodered-hamradio

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.