Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise Blanker recovery time constant for digital modes

Keith - KE4TH
Keith - KE4TH Member ✭✭

I use my Flex 6500 for meteor scatter (wsjt-x msk144 mode) on the 6m band.  Running DIGU mode on the radio I have to use the noise blanker due to local noise in some directions.  The noise blanker takes about 5 seconds to return to normal level at the start of each 15sec transmit cycle.  This means the radio is mostly deaf for one third of each listening window.  Please see screen grab above.  If the user is allowed to adjust the NB recovery time constant, this dead time could be reduced or nearly eliminated.  Please make NB recovery time constant a user-adjustable parameter.  Thanks so much for listening!  73, Keith - KE4TH

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This is for the WNB?

• cfclaver
    cfclaver Member ✭✭

Mike,

This is for the "regular" noise blanker - NB. I have the same slow recovery issue when operating not just with digital modes but also with weak signals on CW and or SSB. The NB is very slow to recover after transmitting, significantly reducing sensitivity for several seconds. For weak signal SSB and CW the NB is often not effective overall because of the slow recovery.

Back in the day with my 5000a and PowerSDR we could get into the parameters of the NB and fiddle with recovery time constant to find the best settings for the mode and conditions.

73s,

Chuck
    de NJ6D

• W8TZ Ross
    W8TZ Ross Member ✭✭

Same issue with SmartSDR v2.12.1 and Flex 6400M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.